The Post your DH bike thread.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Post your DH bike thread.
Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 7:13 Quote
Shiny-side-up wrote:
fantaman wrote:
Shiny-side-up wrote:

Is it possible to fit guards to cover the lowers?

I was wondering Bommel why do these forks have no fork guards to protect the inner tubes? everything is made to order right if people want to pay for it any ways?

I guess you could fit the older style Dorado ones which clamp round the bottom of the inners but good luck finding any which aren't broken.

I would love to try these forks but judging by the scratches on my other USD fork guards I think I would end up with scratches on these inners pretty quick.

why do you think you need lower guards?

what happens if you don't use it?

will a bomb explode then maybe ? or you jump into a concrete wall ?

what if you jump into a concrete wall and get a scratch with your rightsideup fork ? would you go for guards for normal forks?

the risk to get a scratch on the USD fork is the same as on a normal fork. All my customers ride it like this, no problems. there is no possibility to mount guards on my fork, and this is because you really don't need it!

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 7:31 Quote
Disagree. I've owned several USD forks which all had guards on them. If they didn't, my stanctions would have been destroyed. All the guards were broken, cracked, and severely scratched after a couple of rides. My DH parks have tons of loose rock and trail debris. The reason why traditional forks don't use guards is because the stanctions are obviously higher and further from the ground.

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 7:35 Quote
fredro wrote:
Disagree. I've owned several USD forks which all had guards on them. If they didn't, my stanctions would have been destroyed. All the guards were broken, cracked, and severely scratched after a couple of rides. My DH parks have tons of loose rock and trail debris. The reason why traditional forks don't use guards is because the stanctions are obviously higher and further from the ground.

Ditto, my DVO Emerald guards were invisiframed, I went through 3 kits of it because they kept getting torn up!
It seems to be worse when you're riding in trains for me

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 7:41 Quote
On right way up forks the stations are partially protected by the handle bars hitting the ground, giving clearance to any collision with rocks etc.

At the bottom of the fork you don't get that same protection.

If look at my lowers and see all the scratches... If they were the inner part, the stanchion if you were, they'd be ripping up seals in weeks.

Pretty much everything lower on the bike is a greater risk of damage.

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 8:56 Quote
Bommelmaster wrote:
Nicolai Ion 20 with Intend Infinity

noice. Two ions back to back pages!

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 11:08 Quote
same discussion every time, haha

All guys who really think they need it, do not have to get my fork. that's it Wink

you really don't need it. you could also put the whole bike in a bag to protect it!

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 11:11 Quote
Bommelmaster wrote:

All guys who really think they need it, do not have to get my fork. that's it Wink

you really don't need it. you could also put the whole bike in a bag to protect it!

Made that decision for me very easy then. Good luck!

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 11:21 Quote
that is just my experience.

I ride the guardless forks since 1,5 years now. all team riders riding this, also on EWS, Transsavoie, lots of german and french racing series. no scratches.

there was one customer out of 35 who had a big crash, there was a slight scratch in the lowers, we changed it (75 Euro for the customer), it is alright. it would not have been neccessary for functionality, but the customer wanted it.

change the uppers of a Fox fork if you have a scratch there, about 500 dollars?

You just have to google for:
https://www.google.de/search?q=upsidedown&rlz=1C1LENP_enDE657DE657&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic46rW74bVAhXGchQKHWiUBTsQ_AUICigB&biw=1288&bih=702#tbm=isch&q=scratch+stanchions

thousands of pics of normal forks with scratches - nobody rides guards here and nobody misses it

But you are used to the view of guards at the USD fork, that's why everyone is th[/L]inking you need it so hard. but I made my own experience and find out, that it's not neccessary.

if someone has different opinion - thats ok!

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 11:49 Quote
Stanction guards....You don't need it, until you need it.

Like helmets. You don't need one, until you need one in a crash.

However, aesthetically they are beautiful without the guards...

Posted: Jul 24, 2017 at 11:01 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Cheers dude! Keep us updated. Bike is rad as can be!

Can imagine you're goin' someplace if you're already rocking that hard.

Here is my update guys;
I have stronger and bigger wheels, different handlebar and stem combo. But I still love to ride the bike!

Here is pic from playing in Chatel bikepark Smile

Playing in Chatel bikepark age 10
  Playing in Chatel bikepark, age 10

Posted: Jul 24, 2017 at 15:37 Quote
Milan-DH wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Cheers dude! Keep us updated. Bike is rad as can be!

Can imagine you're goin' someplace if you're already rocking that hard.

Here is my update guys;
I have stronger and bigger wheels, different handlebar and stem combo. But I still love to ride the bike!

Here is pic from playing in Chatel bikepark Smile

Playing in Chatel bikepark age 10
  Playing in Chatel bikepark, age 10

Cool m8

Posted: Jul 24, 2017 at 16:07 Quote
Bommelmaster wrote:

The week I ran my last usd without guards resulted in serious damage and the retiring of that fork. Your fork would be on my bike if it came with guards.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031372
Mobile Version of Website