The Post your DH bike thread.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Post your DH bike thread.
Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 17:53 Quote
So this is probably the dumbest/most anti mountain biker thing I’ve done but oh well.

After owning some modern 29er’s (Commencal Meta Am and a Yeti sb5.5) I sold my fancy bikes because I just don’t get out enough to justify the $6000 sitting in my entryway. I was also not about to give up biking, especially bike parks, and so I went out and bought a total lump for a project to tinker with. I paid $700 for it and it had a fair amount of faults. I took the rest of the money and plan to invest it somewhere safe, and gave myself a $1500 (total including the bike) budget to get this thing dialed. It’s worth noting I really wanted a Wilson specifically.

The shit show is as follows:
Replace the 400lb rear spring with a 275lb spring
Replace the medium spring in the Boxxer with a soft spring
Replace missing rebound adjustment knobs
Replace the shifter and cable housing
Repair a small dent in the lower fork leg (Belzona 1311 - it’s an $800 epoxy that is far stronger than the magnesium around it. I have access to it through my father in law)
Rebuild the fork since it’ll need to be torn down for the repair anyway.
Repaint the cranks because the gold looks terrible.
Replace the “carbon” Chinese bar and blue grips
Find a set of brakes because they’re missing
Install new tires and tubes
Strip the frame over winter and paint it British Racing Green with white oem decals (factory paint is thrashed from shuttling and rock chips)
Replace the missing Boxxer logos.
Replace missing chain guide wheels

Before

photo
photo
photo

Current spec for this season (still not painted, and I need a chain guide that’s in the mail.)
New Sam Hill Nukeproof bar
New Minions
New XT derailleur
New Magura MT7 brakes
New Hope 200mm rotors
New fork seals (had to 3D print a installer tool because I forgot to buy one (and they’re $80) and I’m 2hrs away from a bike shop anyway)
Current weight using my suitcase scale is 36lbs. A 2022 Wilson is 39 so I can’t complain at all.
photo
photo
photo
photo

So far I’m at $1400, I’ve got some budget left over for sandblasting and I’ll just use my automotive paint gun to spray the frame myself, I should be able to get paint for under $100 (hopefully).

Mod
Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 18:48 Quote
you can get those seal installers on amazon for 10 bucks. i bought one for my boxxer and it was fine.

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 19:57 Quote
mior wrote:
you can get those seal installers on amazon for 10 bucks. i bought one for my boxxer and it was fine.

Fair enough, 3D printing it took a couple hours and cost me like $0.05. Amazon is usually 3-4 days away even with prime for most things anyway.

Mod
Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 21:06 Quote
carter wrote:
mior wrote:

Fair enough, 3D printing it took a couple hours and cost me like $0.05. Amazon is usually 3-4 days away even with prime for most things anyway.
forgot about canada

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 21:08 Quote
carter wrote:
mior wrote:

What'd you use, nylon?

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 21:43 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
carter wrote:
mior wrote:

What'd you use, nylon?

Oh heck no, nylon is super difficult to use. Not to mention the toxic fumes, you need a fume extraction hood if your doing it indoors, and a proper enclosure. I just used PLA at 100% infill. It’s surprisingly strong, as long as it stays out of the sun. It melts at lower temps than other plastics. It’s extremely rigid stuff though. I built an entire cnc machine from scratch using PLA and PETG printed parts. It cuts hardwood perfectly, as well as aluminum.

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 6, 2022 at 13:26 Quote
carter wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
carter wrote:

What'd you use, nylon?

Oh heck no, nylon is super difficult to use. Not to mention the toxic fumes, you need a fume extraction hood if your doing it indoors, and a proper enclosure. I just used PLA at 100% infill. It’s surprisingly strong, as long as it stays out of the sun. It melts at lower temps than other plastics. It’s extremely rigid stuff though. I built an entire cnc machine from scratch using PLA and PETG printed parts. It cuts hardwood perfectly, as well as aluminum.

[PI=23087021][PI]

[PI=23087022][PI]

Very impressive!

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 14:17 Quote
carter wrote:

Did you design the CNC yourself, or did you use a plan available somewhere? Either way it's awesome! (if the latter, would you mind sharing which one?)

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 16:32 Quote
delta5 wrote:
carter wrote:

Did you design the CNC yourself, or did you use a plan available somewhere? Either way it's awesome! (if the latter, would you mind sharing which one?)

There’s a basic plan available on thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3004773 )

but… I ended up making a bunch of custom parts in Fusion 360 to make it stiffer and wider. Total cost as is right now is $650, the basic one following his plans was about $450 in materials and electronics. Assembly took about a week of fiddling around and learning how grbl works.

The same guy has another machine called the Indy Mill, which is another open source CNC machine that is MUCH better. I didn’t know enough about CNC machines at the time and made the decision to build the dremel CNC first as a learning tool. It’s been great but the Indy Mill is what I’m going to build next. I can’t probably sell the machineI build for $500-$700 and use that to put into an Indy Mill ($1000-$1500 cnd). This is still thousands cheaper than a Shapeoko unit.

https://indystry.cc/indymill/

I highly recommend this as a hobby because now it feels like you can make anything you want. The possibilities feel endless assuming you want the materials to be wood or aluminum.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 8:34 Quote
Hi folks,
I have Bergamont Straitline Team 2018 and I love it ❤️

Greetings from Glasgow

photo

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 3:09 Quote
TravellerSeko wrote:
Hi folks,

Greetings from Glasgow

photo

I had one of these, was a great bike, unfortunately too small for me. Make sure you have some spare rear brake mount adapters, they are odd and specific to these frames. They also break very easily, definitely worth having some spares if you can find them

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 5:19 Quote
Jonnysnow wrote:
TravellerSeko wrote:
Hi folks,

Greetings from Glasgow

photo

I had one of these, was a great bike, unfortunately too small for me. Make sure you have some spare rear brake mount adapters, they are odd and specific to these frames. They also break very easily, definitely worth having some spares if you can find them

Hi mate,
Thanks very much. I think you talked about this part. I’ll check with local distributor. It is hard to find spare parts as the production of this bike has ended. Do you recommend any other the must-have spare parts for this bike?

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/straitline_mgn_brake_assembly_kit_(2017)-1469
photo

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 0:27 Quote
Yes, definitely find one before you need it. Specifically the pm180\long part. Your bike is unrideable once it breaks. I managed to find one spare by pure luck that the old team mechanic lived in the same town as me. If you are keeping it long term then consider getting the part 3D mapped so you can get a spare if needed. Like I said, they are prone to failure, I think I went through at least 2 of them.

From memory that was the only part that broke

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 7:42 Quote
My rebuild on this Turner DHR is finally complete! At this point the only original part from when I got it back in 2019 is the seat post. With only about $3000 invested, including the bike purchase, I'd say it is well worth the money!

Frame - Turner DHR 2013 Rear Shock - FOX DHX2 Coil 2020 Fork - RockShox Zeb Ultimate 190mm 2022 Headset - Cane Creek 40 Series Handlebar - Renthal Fatbar Lite 31.8 Stem Renthal Apex 50mm 31.8 Grips - Ergon GE1 Slim Brakes - TRP Quadiem G-Spec Shifter - Shimano Zee Derailleur - Shimano Zee Chainguide - Fouriers Cranks - Shimano Saint 165mm Bottom Bracket Shimano Saint Chain - KMC Cassette - Sunrace Pedals - Nukeproof Horizon Sam Hill Front Wheel - Stan s Flow D 27.5 rim w Shimano hub Rear Wheel - Spank Spike 33 26 rim w Shimano Saint hub Front Tire - Maxxis Assegai EXO Maxx Grip 2.5 Rear Tire - Maxxis DHR II EXO Maxx Terra 2.4 w cushcore Saddle - SDG
Frame - Turner DHR 2013 Rear Shock - FOX DHX2 Coil 2020 Fork - RockShox Zeb Ultimate 190mm 2022 Headset - Cane Creek 40 Series Handlebar - Renthal Fatbar Lite 31.8 Stem Renthal Apex 50mm 31.8 Grips - Ergon GE1 Slim Brakes - TRP Quadiem G-Spec Shifter - Shimano Zee Derailleur - Shimano Zee Chainguide - Fouriers Cranks - Shimano Saint 165mm Bottom Bracket Shimano Saint Chain - KMC Cassette - Sunrace Pedals - Nukeproof Horizon Sam Hill Front Wheel - Stan s Flow D 27.5 rim w Shimano hub Rear Wheel - Spank Spike 33 26 rim w Shimano Saint hub Front Tire - Maxxis Assegai EXO Maxx Grip 2.5 Rear Tire - Maxxis DHR II EXO Maxx Terra 2.4 w cushcore Saddle - SDG

Frame - Turner DHR 2013 size M
Rear Shock - FOX DHX2 Coil 2020 (w/ RWC needle bearing hardware)
Fork - RockShox Zeb Ultimate 27.5 180mm 38mm offset 2022
Brakes - TRP Quadiem G-Spec
Headset - Cane Creek 40 Series
Handlebar - Renthal Fatbar Lite 31.8
Stem - Renthal Apex 50mm 31.8
Grips - Ergon GE1 Slim
Shifter - Shimano Zee
Derailleur - Shimano Zee
Chainguide - Fouriers
Cranks - Shimano Saint 165mm
Bottom Bracket Shimano Saint
Chain - KMC
Cassette - Sunrace
Pedals - Nukeproof Horizon Sam Hill
Front Wheel - Stan's Flow D 27.5" rim w/Shimano MT400 hub
Rear Wheel - Spank Spike 33 26" rim w/ Shimano Saint hub
Front Tire - Maxxis Assegai EXO+ Maxx Grip 2.5
Rear Tire - Maxxis DHR II EXO Maxx Terra 2.4 w/ Cushcore
Saddle - SDG

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 7:45 Quote
millsr4 wrote:
My rebuild on this Turner DHR is finally complete! At this point the only original part from when I got it back in 2019 is the seat post. With only about $3000 invested, including the bike purchase, I'd say it is well worth the money!

Frame - Turner DHR 2013 size M
Rear Shock - FOX DHX2 Coil 2020 (w/ RWC needle bearing hardware)
Fork - RockShox Zeb Ultimate 27.5 180mm 38mm offset 2022
Brakes - TRP Quadiem G-Spec
Headset - Cane Creek 40 Series
Handlebar - Renthal Fatbar Lite 31.8
Stem - Renthal Apex 50mm 31.8
Grips - Ergon GE1 Slim
Shifter - Shimano Zee
Derailleur - Shimano Zee
Chainguide - Fouriers
Cranks - Shimano Saint 165mm
Bottom Bracket Shimano Saint
Chain - KMC
Cassette - Sunrace
Pedals - Nukeproof Horizon Sam Hill
Front Wheel - Stan's Flow D 27.5" rim w/Shimano MT400 hub
Rear Wheel - Spank Spike 33 26" rim w/ Shimano Saint hub
Front Tire - Maxxis Assegai EXO+ Maxx Grip 2.5
Rear Tire - Maxxis DHR II EXO Maxx Terra 2.4 w/ Cushcore
Saddle - SDG

Looks fun! Nice Bike!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.034438
Mobile Version of Website