Fat bike fenders

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Fat bike fenders
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
Just looking for some feedback on fenders. Which ones are you using? Pros/cons? Where did you order them from etc

Thanks

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 4:48 Quote
I have the Mucky Nuts fender on both my fat bike and my wife’s. Mine is older and smaller than the newer type. I ordered mine thru the buy and sell here in Pinkbike. Search fat bike parts and you should see it, and my wife’s I bought at my local bike shop. They both work fine. Hope this helps.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 20:07 Quote
I made my own fenders last spring by cutting some 29er fenders in half down the middle and pop riveting flat plastic between the two halves. It was a lot of work, pretty time consuming and the end product looked exactly like what somebody made at home in their garage. They worked just fine but we’re rattling and noisy. I wouldn’t do it again as I was never pleased with how they looked or turned out. My co-workers really liked them and the “constructed” look.

I was able to get a set of RAD ebike fenders which were way nicer, mounted better and look cleaner. It’s too bad those dumbasses won’t ship to Alaska. I got mine through a friend who ordered 2 ebikes and the fenders were shipped out months later as part of their order. Otherwise the dipsticks at RAD wanted to charge $90 to ship the fenders to Alaska as a stand-alone order.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 12:26 Quote
PDW mud shovels. I use the front downtube fender all season long. Almost never use the rear. Muck on my back is tolerable...on my face not so much.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 13:43 Quote
The PDWs that I have over the rear are garbage. You can find the non-branded version of the very same fender on ebay for half the price. The latching mechanism is a joke.

SKS fenders have been solidly reliable IME....overpriced, but excellent.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 11:39 Quote
I use Beaver mud guards front and rear on mine.

They are really the same as the Mucky Nutz fenders but make one specifically for the Manitou Mastodon

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
I got a beaver guard for my bluto. Works great !

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 19:15 Quote
I don't know about rear fenders but for the front I ran a Beaver fender on my first bike and for the second I just took a Duotang folder (you know those plastic folders with three bend over clips to put pages in) and I cut out a similar shape to the Beaver guard and made it longer. Cost was free but a new duotang folder runs for about 99 cents.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 15:09 Quote
I'm using a set of Mudhuggers. I've got the Fathugger on the front, and the Mudhugger Rear in the back. I think I got a "long" rear last year, but the same one may be called "medium" now. They are pretty clear about which one to buy for a fat bike. There is a "Fat" extension for that rear fender to make it wider, but with 4" tires, the fender is just wide enough on its own, so I never put it on.

I am really impressed with how the rear fender stays on and in place. I've been through at least 8 rear mtb fenders over the past 20 years, and this is the first one that stayed in place and did not break after a few rides.

The rear is not easy to put on or take off, but rather meant to leave in place. Also, it was not specifically designed for a fat bike, so it takes some heating and bending to get it to fit the wider seatstay yolk (I used a heat gun). It took a couple hours for me to install it, as it also took some of trimming to fit around the rack mounts and hose/cable guides.

Mudhugger fenders on Surly Wednesday
Rear Mudhugger fender on Surly Wednesday

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005778
Mobile Version of Website