Fat bike fenders

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Fat bike fenders
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
Just looking for some feedback on fenders. Which ones are you using? Pros/cons? Where did you order them from etc

Thanks

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 4:48 Quote
I have the Mucky Nuts fender on both my fat bike and my wife’s. Mine is older and smaller than the newer type. I ordered mine thru the buy and sell here in Pinkbike. Search fat bike parts and you should see it, and my wife’s I bought at my local bike shop. They both work fine. Hope this helps.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 20:07 Quote
I made my own fenders last spring by cutting some 29er fenders in half down the middle and pop riveting flat plastic between the two halves. It was a lot of work, pretty time consuming and the end product looked exactly like what somebody made at home in their garage. They worked just fine but we’re rattling and noisy. I wouldn’t do it again as I was never pleased with how they looked or turned out. My co-workers really liked them and the “constructed” look.

I was able to get a set of RAD ebike fenders which were way nicer, mounted better and look cleaner. It’s too bad those dumbasses won’t ship to Alaska. I got mine through a friend who ordered 2 ebikes and the fenders were shipped out months later as part of their order. Otherwise the dipsticks at RAD wanted to charge $90 to ship the fenders to Alaska as a stand-alone order.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 12:26 Quote
PDW mud shovels. I use the front downtube fender all season long. Almost never use the rear. Muck on my back is tolerable...on my face not so much.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 13:43 Quote
The PDWs that I have over the rear are garbage. You can find the non-branded version of the very same fender on ebay for half the price. The latching mechanism is a joke.

SKS fenders have been solidly reliable IME....overpriced, but excellent.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 11:39 Quote
I use Beaver mud guards front and rear on mine.

They are really the same as the Mucky Nutz fenders but make one specifically for the Manitou Mastodon

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
I got a beaver guard for my bluto. Works great !

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 19:15 Quote
I don't know about rear fenders but for the front I ran a Beaver fender on my first bike and for the second I just took a Duotang folder (you know those plastic folders with three bend over clips to put pages in) and I cut out a similar shape to the Beaver guard and made it longer. Cost was free but a new duotang folder runs for about 99 cents.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 15:09 Quote
I'm using a set of Mudhuggers. I've got the Fathugger on the front, and the Mudhugger Rear in the back. I think I got a "long" rear last year, but the same one may be called "medium" now. They are pretty clear about which one to buy for a fat bike. There is a "Fat" extension for that rear fender to make it wider, but with 4" tires, the fender is just wide enough on its own, so I never put it on.

I am really impressed with how the rear fender stays on and in place. I've been through at least 8 rear mtb fenders over the past 20 years, and this is the first one that stayed in place and did not break after a few rides.

The rear is not easy to put on or take off, but rather meant to leave in place. Also, it was not specifically designed for a fat bike, so it takes some heating and bending to get it to fit the wider seatstay yolk (I used a heat gun). It took a couple hours for me to install it, as it also took some of trimming to fit around the rack mounts and hose/cable guides.

Mudhugger fenders on Surly Wednesday
Rear Mudhugger fender on Surly Wednesday

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
PDW's on my Farley 7. Work great and are light. I like the button mount on the mid and rear so it is easy to remove for when the bike is on the rack (wind will remove them). Front fender need some slight mod to fit the Manitou fork. They look great against the Rorange paint on my Farley. (I got mine through Amazon)

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 18:59 Quote
I had decided to just build my own out of crazy carpets. But ended up getting a good deal on Kijiji for PDW mud shovels...so I'm gonna try those out. Thanks for the info everybody.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005775
Mobile Version of Website