27.5x4 VS 26x4.8 tires

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
27.5x4 VS 26x4.8 tires
| Next Page
Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 19:10 Quote
I'm in western Canada (Kootenay's BC) and if you're riding your fat bike solely in winter, go as wide as possible. If you're going to be riding trails that are groomed like an XC track go wide. I run 26x4.6 Terrene tires and anything less than that has a tendency to knife in when riding in softer snow. and if you ride in icy conditions, get studded tires, they're expensive and worth it.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 14:11 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Mikesfatbike wrote:
4.5 up front and 3.8 in back

I was wondering if that could be more-or-less the best of both sizes. Any downsides you've noticed?

Since I have only ridden on this bike with this combo, I really have nothing to compare it to. Trek went with this combo because on my med. frame, they must have felt that the 4.5 (with studs and stranglehold dropout pushed forward) on the rear would possibly hit the (unused) front derailleur cable bung on the seat post. The 4.5 does well in turns and the 3.8 is good to follow in the track for the push. So far, the gnars are awesome on snow, not so good on dry/hardpack in terms of riding comfort and rolling ability. They do grip well on dirt and loose gravel.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 17:19 Quote
Mikesfatbike wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Mikesfatbike wrote:
4.5 up front and 3.8 in back

I was wondering if that could be more-or-less the best of both sizes. Any downsides you've noticed?

Since I have only ridden on this bike with this combo, I really have nothing to compare it to. Trek went with this combo because on my med. frame, they must have felt that the 4.5 (with studs and stranglehold dropout pushed forward) on the rear would possibly hit the (unused) front derailleur cable bung on the seat post. The 4.5 does well in turns and the 3.8 is good to follow in the track for the push. So far, the gnars are awesome on snow, not so good on dry/hardpack in terms of riding comfort and rolling ability. They do grip well on dirt and loose gravel.

Thanks for the feedback! Salute

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005286
Mobile Version of Website