Tyee 2020

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2020 at 15:23 Quote
Adriondatrack wrote:
This Tyee really checks all the boxes for me, there is just one thing I'm worried about, it's the lenght of chainstays.

I already read it keeps the bike balanced but I also read that long chainstays can make a bike a bit hard to handle in really technical steep trails.

What do you feel about it ?

Thx

I can only speak from riding an XL but I feel no disadvantage to the longer chain stays, and I ride a lot of techy stuff. Still feels very agile.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2020 at 15:27 Quote
Lornholio wrote:
crustin wrote:
Just posted an honest and thorough review of my 2020 Tyee. Enjoy and feel free to ask questions or start arguments in the youtube comments!

Thanks for the review; keep em coming everyone - I'm especially interested in durability reports.

The Tyee CF is high on my list for springtime. I'm currently on a 2017 Patrol C and looking for a fun/maneuverable 29 that can handle some speed if I want it to but I ride a lot of slow tech so it has to handle that. Got a bit of cash to spend but want to keep things kind of sensible so a custom Tyee build looks a good way to go. 491mm reach on the XL is a bit shorter than I was thinking of (I'm 6ft4) but that's already about 10mm longer than my overforked Patrol which I don't feel is "too short", and didn't want to go too far over 500mm anyway. And I'm 100% a coil shock convert for my local rough natural trails so the comments on coils on the Tyee are good to hear.

I’m 6-4 as well and the XL doesn’t feel short. Doesn’t feel long either. I think unless you have a “hang on and straight line it” style, it feels just right. If you want to charge through stuff as fast as possible I’d get something longer.

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 1:43 Quote
crustin wrote:
Lornholio wrote:
crustin wrote:
Just posted an honest and thorough review of my 2020 Tyee. Enjoy and feel free to ask questions or start arguments in the youtube comments!

Thanks for the review; keep em coming everyone - I'm especially interested in durability reports.

The Tyee CF is high on my list for springtime. I'm currently on a 2017 Patrol C and looking for a fun/maneuverable 29 that can handle some speed if I want it to but I ride a lot of slow tech so it has to handle that. Got a bit of cash to spend but want to keep things kind of sensible so a custom Tyee build looks a good way to go. 491mm reach on the XL is a bit shorter than I was thinking of (I'm 6ft4) but that's already about 10mm longer than my overforked Patrol which I don't feel is "too short", and didn't want to go too far over 500mm anyway. And I'm 100% a coil shock convert for my local rough natural trails so the comments on coils on the Tyee are good to hear.

I’m 6-4 as well and the XL doesn’t feel short. Doesn’t feel long either. I think unless you have a “hang on and straight line it” style, it feels just right. If you want to charge through stuff as fast as possible I’d get something longer.

I am 6ft and I went for an XL with a 35mm stem and 180mm OneUp Dropper. It doesn't feel big at all. If anything it feels right. Smile

Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 12:13 Quote
crustin wrote:

Good to know, thanks. In your videos is your OneUp 210mm shown in riding position or did you pull the post out some more for clamping in your work stand? If that's riding position then your 6ft4 must be all in your legs lol . I asked Propain if they have plans to offer longer droppers than the 185mm BikeYoke and they said no so I'm not sure if I'd just go for that or take the non dropper post and buy a OneUp, or even take the BikeYoke and sell it for a little gain. OneUp 170mm works fine for me at the moment.

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 13:29 Quote
Good to know, thanks. In your videos is your OneUp 210mm shown in riding position or did you pull the post out some more for clamping in your work stand? If that's riding position then your 6ft4 must be all in your legs lol . I asked Propain if they have plans to offer longer droppers than the 185mm BikeYoke and they said no so I'm not sure if I'd just go for that or take the non dropper post and buy a OneUp, or even take the BikeYoke and sell it for a little gain. OneUp 170mm works fine for me at the moment.[/Quote]

Yeah, that’s where I always have my seat post clamped. Probably looks weird because of that crappy work stand I’m using at the moment. The oneup dropper can be adjusted down in travel. I think 210 down to 180 but can’t really remember. I can’t go back to less than 200 at this point!

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 4:45 Quote
Hi guys

Just a little update after first 100 km with new Tyee al frame.
A have the same issues as I read about on this forum. Dropper cable rubbing above bb and already got damaged. Shifter cable rubbing rear tire. Rear brake cable rubbing on crank. The last two issues I will hopefully fix with additional cable ties, but for dropper cable I am not sure what to do.

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 5:14 Quote
Tomasar wrote:
Hi guys

A have the same issues as I read about on this forum. Dropper cable rubbing above bb and already got damaged. Shifter cable rubbing rear tire. Rear brake cable rubbing on crank. The last two issues I will hopefully fix with additional cable ties, but for dropper cable I am not sure what to do.
Sounds like to much slack at the hoses/cables. Did you check cables at full shock compression? Any unnecessary slack to be removed. Add ziptie on your seatstays just in front of the cable clip. One the drive side I have one in the mist forward position in the slot of the chain demper.

Also use the plastic spacers. Secure ends with duck tape. To avoid losing it. (Only use zip tie on one side max, cable-side. I have seen some super fixated ziptie solutions but if you ever got hung up you want it to break away... Not rip out your brake hose)

For seatdropper: it is a stationary cable going around your BB.. doesn't move. Just make sure it doesn't touch the seatstay brace. Take out any slack. Push it into the downtube protector to secure it.

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
Tomasar wrote:
Hi guys

Sounds like to much slack at the hoses/cables. Did you check cables at full shock compression? Any unnecessary slack to be removed. Add ziptie on your seatstays just in front of the cable clip. One the drive side I have one in the mist forward position in the slot of the chain demper.

Also use the plastic spacers. Secure ends with duck tape. To avoid losing it. (Only use zip tie on one side max, cable-side. I have seen some super fixated ziptie solutions but if you ever got hung up you want it to break away... Not rip out your brake hose)

For seatdropper: it is a stationary cable going around your BB.. doesn't move. Just make sure it doesn't touch the seatstay brace. Take out any slack. Push it into the downtube protector to secure it.

Thank you. I'll try tomorrow.
Beer
Pictures before I touch anything.
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 8:48 Quote
Apologies if I missed this but is there a video or pictures that detail the proper slack/way to cable this bike? I’m building in the next couple weeks.

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
Tomasar wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:
Tomasar wrote:
Hi guys

Thank you. I'll try tomorrow.
Beer
Pictures before I touch anything.
photo
photo
In your first picture: cable tie on your chainstay at the 'i' of propain. And for brake hose on opposite side too, more or less at the weld I believe. This eliminates contact with sideknobs.

I would take out the ziptie on the plastic spacer on the brake hose side and use tape .

I believe we don't have the cable tie fixture at the seattube for the dropper. Anyway release the downtube protector and stuf in the cable a bit( pull gently at the steerer tube side.). Untill the bend in the cable is free of the chainstay brace.

Releasing air of your shock helps checking the slack at max suspension compression. Even shortening by 1 cm already can be enough to avoid sideways clashed with chainrings, cranks etc.

Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
Thanks Grumposaur.
I believe that the dropper cable tie fixture at the seat tube might give some trouble to properly bent dropper cable around bb.

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
Well I'm pretty close to ordering a Tyee CF. I'll definitely be going for a coil - have you guys found Propain's spring weight recommendations to be accurate? I'm 80kg plus sometimes a backpack so right on the border between 450 and 500lb spring.

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 8:47 Quote
Lornholio wrote:
Well I'm pretty close to ordering a Tyee CF. I'll definitely be going for a coil - have you guys found Propain's spring weight recommendations to be accurate? I'm 80kg plus sometimes a backpack so right on the border between 450 and 500lb spring.

Go for 500. I'm 74 kg, 450 lbs coil and preload adjuster turned three full turns.
If the sag value is not at the desired level after five full clockwise turns, a heavier spring must be installed, and the sag setting procedure must be repeated.

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 8:50 Quote
Good to know, thanks. Anyone else care to confirm?

If I couldn't decide I was going to get the 450 as it's easier to tell if a spring is too soft vs too firm on a new bike I think. Might end up getting the Reverse coil travel indicator tool to share between friends anyway, and likely get a lightweight steel spring eventually but good to get the best starting point.

While we're at it, what is recommended sag for the new Tyee? All I could find on Propain's website is a general 25-30% recommendation in their FAQ with no specific bikes mentioned.

Cheers.

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 8:55 Quote
Lornholio wrote:
Good to know, thanks. Anyone else care to confirm?

If I couldn't decide I was going to get the 450 as it's easier to tell if a spring is too soft vs too firm on a new bike I think. Might end up getting the Reverse coil travel indicator tool to share between friends anyway, and likely get a lightweight steel spring eventually but good to get the best starting point.

from all people I read so far they recommended the firmer spring. I was mostly reading that in the german forum where a lot of people bought the tyee

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015473
Mobile Version of Website