Tyee 2020

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 3:27 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
Short update: I had time to do some short rides on a local trail so far. There is not much to say actually, it works as advertised. Beer

everything in comparison to a 2015 AL Capra L 27,5', which is lighter then a 2020 AL Tyee L 29".

The first ride since the lock down on a new bike didn't take time to get used to it, directly up to speed. And notable faster in some sections right of the bat.

- the weight difference: I only notice it when lifting the bikes. Not going doing or going up. Most likely due to the next point, geometry.

- seating position is much better, way less over the back wheel, easy to maintain pressure on the front wheel while climbing. Thus even with the slacker hand angle it is less floppy on the way up.

- I used to use always DHF and DHR combos, now I have MM and Hans Dampf, so far so good. The HD is slightly easier to loose traction under braking, but not to a point that you cant brake at all (this is not tested yet in wet/root/rocks)

- the increase in length and wheelsize, doesn't make hairpins more difficult easier in fact. The triangle front axle- rider COG - rear axle. Is less pointy; better spread weight, also makes it easier to endo around the really tight ones.

- 29" wheels: the Schwalbes are a little lighter than the Maxxis EXO's in the same size, but acceleration feels fine. I do have the Newmen wheelset, but wight gain is mostly in the hubs not really in the rim. 29" is the way to go if you are tall enough. (Mainly long enough inseam)

Regarding concerns you read online:
- The rear doesn't feel flexy at all on a AL version, compared to a Capra for example. But I will try to see if I can get to some rougher trails this weekend and keep an eye on it.
- The rear doesn't feel extremely harsh at all with a Fox X2, I'm currently back at the recommend HSC as I first opened it more to make it less dampened, I'm still playing with the suspension might change some spacers to, but need some drops to check bottom out first. (My GF experience the same compared to 2015 Strive with a RS super deluxe air.)

I read on the German forums that since that comparison test a lot of people are calling and asking if they should switch to coil. And Propain apparently doesn't have the same experience with their own riders using both, depending on preference.
Some people have taken out all spacer on the X2, but I'm not sure if can do that. Even my enduro bike should be set up for the occasional person size drop. Maybe I can take out one. But taking out a spacer only works if you don't use full travel. If you are using full travel with correct sag, you can open up HSC (and LSC) a bit as that works on the whole stroke making it a bit faster/less damped until ramp up. But currently I trying the recommended setting again, and will close it later a bit more. Just to get a feel on the range of the shock.
I didn't see the test, but I also wonder if some of the other bikes didn't had 170-180 mm rear suspension. That is a different thing. Between my Capra with 160mm and 200mm Tues with same linkage design there is also a huge difference in feel on the harder end of hits. But comparing the Tyee to another 160mm it is fine.

BTW I once calculated for the TUES what SAG at the shock you will need to be at 30% of rear wheel travel, and that was about 25%. Tues has a leverage ratio of about 3.1 to 1.8 so the effect is rather pronounced there. The Tyee has 3,3 to 2,4. Getting more plush with setting for example 35% SAG doesn't work, you end up with less travel and harder ramp up (or bottom out). I run now 28% SAG until I check it in excel. And will use spacers to make sure to have full stroke use. (I can image I will take one out max)

NB; regarding the weight, if it is a money thing, I would rather spend money on the wheels or suspension than on CF frame. Probably it climbs even better being lighter, but the most gain is already in the geo and anti squat. Having a tune-able shock is more valuable on the DH. That said my GF opted to spend 1000€ less overall and still feels it is better then the 2015 strive.

NB2: in a 29 AL L frame doesn't fit a podium 710 ml bottle I found out, 620 probably works, but got to order one. But it is 2cm less tall. In the CF the 710ml does fit!
Hey thanks so much for the in depth first impressions. Can't wait to hit the button!! Gonna hold out a bit and ride/service my trek and get it ready to sell. Hope they don't sell out of large before I'm ready!!

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 8:53 Quote
Hi all,

I've ordered a Tyee CF on the 30th April, with a predicted build date of 28th July.

Does anyone know how they are getting on with their build schedule given the current situation with Covid?

I've read in a couple of places that they are ahead of the estimated build schedule, but don't want to get too excited!

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 14:02 Quote
Both our Al's where ahead of schedule.

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 0:12 Quote
Ordered my tyee cf on the 3rd of June and just received an email with a scheduled build date for the 11th of September ????????. Really hope it’s not gonna take this long.

FL
Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 15:58 Quote
@Grumposaur What did you use to wrap your frame? All the options like easyframe and riesel are way over the top for me regarding prices. Did you buy one of those precut sets or did you cut the foil yourself?

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 5:13 Quote
I used the universal matt large easyframe set: The biggest piece i cut longitudinal for downtube and longest chainstay.

I did:
- complete underside down tube until just wrapping around till underside of letters.
- Top part of toptube.
- Rear of the seattube.
- Complete rear triangle on the outside.

I even had some pieces left. I could have done fork legs. But on top of stickers it looks bad.

It's probably also possible to used the normal size set. But downtube is pretty wide and you would need to puzzle a bit combining pieces.

FL
Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
Allright, thank you very much!
Still 50€ is quite much for a plotted sheet of foil. But I assume it's one of the safest ways to get some matte foil with proper looks and applyability.
Production date for me is on the 14th Aufust, so I still have plenty of time to think about it. For an alternative I'm thinking of getting a blank sheet of matt foil and make myself some stencils for the rough cutouts.

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 0:17 Quote
I did that in the past. I don't know any shops in Austria that sell it, else i would have done it again.

The matt foil is Xpel Stealth, which I bought of a carwrapping company. That was about 20€.

FL
Posted: Jun 13, 2020 at 1:46 Quote
I just went for that one: http://www.lackprotect.de/pul_film00.html
In the mtb news forum there was a guy with a Hightower who used this one and it looked pretty decent.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 13:50 Quote
I'm in the market for a 29er enduro bike this year and am seriously considering a tyee (again).

I'm currently riding a 2017 tyee AL and looking back, I wouldn't want to have bought any other bike. But I'd still like to address some issues / concerns that arose:

- Shift cable and break hose housings are routed below the BB on my model as well. I've had to replace one shifter cable housing that got smashed (from a rock strike I assume). Not the biggest deal but not ideal. Besides, on the 2020 the routing below the BB is so far away from the pivot point that there has to be quite some slack in the cables which puts them at further risk (and rub from the wheels doesn't seem impossible, see https://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/2448870).

- While chain stays seem to be similar, the 2017 model I'm riding has considerably shorter seat stays. If I push my bike into a bike park berm really, really hard, that back end flexes a scary amount. I can't for sure say if this is unusual because I have never ridden a different bike but when I started progressing and first really pushed into a berm I was horrified. Nothing ever broke on my frame but the 2020 model having considerably longer seat stays leaves me to believe this flexing will be worse. Check out how that rear flexes under george brannigan in that one berm he roosts https://youtu.be/4oXiEojK-ew?t=83
I can't stop thinking that a connection between the seat and chain stays on the drive side (they are connected on the brake side but not the drive side) and a brace between the seat stays just after the wheel would have helped with this. Then again I'm not a bike engineer...
To be fair, the flexing only ever happens to me when smashing high speed berms and I'm pretty tall and heavy (92kg/200ish lbs?). Still, this (and the 3 month waiting period in europe currently...) is the sole reason I'm not blindly ordering 29er right now.

- harsh rear end: While the tyee seems to have a high levarge ratio (a lot of progression) it also has high absolute leverage. This high leverage means you have to pump up your shock pretty hard if you wand mid stroke support, especially if you're heavier. I'm running my super deluxe rock hard (close to max, I think it was 300ish psi). That way I never feel bottom outs but still use full travel every time I ride (I might have to play around with volume reducers, not sure how many are in there now). Again - I don't have experience on other bikes but I'd consider to rear to be harshi'ish (which obviously a fully pumped up shock doesn't help with).

As mentioned above, I'm overall pretty happy with my purchase in 2017. And the spec builder in the propain shop is beyond awesome since I don't agree with most of the brand's spec choices. The fact you won't have to swap out parts on your new bike paired with amazing value to begin with makes propain the best value option by a mile IMO.

Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 0:08 Quote
The picture of the cables is missing a cable spacer that comes with the bike. Which I secured with tape cause else you will loose it for sure. And my on my drive side I have one extra cable tie just 2cm in front of the original cable clip to ensure it stays away from the wheel.

Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 8:12 Quote
gezzyclem wrote:
Ordered my tyee cf on the 3rd of June and just received an email with a scheduled build date for the 11th of September ????????. Really hope it’s not gonna take this long.

I ordered an AL last night and got a planned production date of 25th Sept.... Here's to hoping that some of this lead time factors in Covid supply chain issues, and they end up ahead of schedule if things eventually go well. Summer will be loooong !

O+
Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 7:44 Quote
I ordered a CF 29er on Monday (15th June). I have a production date of 4th September.

That doesn't leave much room for the 65 working days they quoted for delivery, like @juliopedro has said it is going to be a long summer of waiting for an update on my dream bike.

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 at 2:38 Quote
oooooft pushed the button on a CF 29" yesterday (18/06) and have a build date of 25th of September.

Very much hoping this is a pessimistic estimate that they can aim to beat!

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 6:15 Quote
Just wondering if anyone can help me out.

I like the look of the Tyee but I'm worried I wont be able to fit a 170mm dropper in.
Propain sent the max insertion length for a large Tyee which is 250mm on the CF.
To run and 170 oneup dropper I'd have to have it more or less slammed but the insert length of the oneup is 267 including actuator. The actuator is 15mm so what i'd like to know is if there is room for the actuator below the 250mm max insertion meaning my post would be 2mm above fully dropped in the seat tube. If anyone has the chance to have a look down the seat tube and let me know that would be great.

Hope that makes sense to someone as im struggling to explain that to the germans.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018058
Mobile Version of Website