Tyee 2020

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 6:53 Quote
Spring bearing and Huber bushings are way to go!

O+
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 9:10 Quote
VedranBaric wrote:

Indeed! Made a massive difference in the sensitivity for me, and lets me run a bit of a bigger spring so that it can still handle the impacts - which it definitely can Beer

Views: 602    Faves: 0    Comments: 1

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 22:59 Quote
Hello,

I'm thinking of a Propain Tyee AL 29 to replace my Santa Cruz hightower. Does anybody knows if a Fast Fenix ( or any other exotic coil EXT etc...) will fit the tyee? Also do they plan to address the issue of cable routing on current gen or will we have to wait on a frame update?

Thanks

O+
Posted: May 19, 2021 at 0:58 Quote
lews-therin wrote:
VedranBaric wrote:

Indeed! Made a massive difference in the sensitivity for me, and lets me run a bit of a bigger spring so that it can still handle the impacts - which it definitely can Beer

Views: 602    Faves: 0    Comments: 1

Wow, thats some drop to flat! Poor Tyee. Wink

O+
Posted: May 19, 2021 at 3:17 Quote
wilkomtb wrote:

HA! Thought it was going be one of those situations where it feels a little less flat than it looks, but I was wrong... Bike took it like a Champ though, no issues at all.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2021 at 3:24 Quote
lews-therin wrote:
wilkomtb wrote:

HA! Thought it was going be one of those situations where it feels a little less flat than it looks, but I was wrong... Bike took it like a Champ though, no issues at all.

As you'd expect. Big Grin

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 0:48 Quote
An interesting issue. I dont know if it is common, but it happened to me and to 2 othert people whose tyee broke the rockshox coil shock. To be precise, i have a float x2 and it didnt broke, but i noticed some difficulty in the shock movement from day one. I mean, it wasnt bad, it was better than anything before in terms if sensitivity, but just wasnt what i expected. I tried numerous setups and it improved a bit, but the shock didnt seem as responsive as i would expect. I explined that with the progressive linkage or with the air shock. After 7 months of riding, a bizzare creak on my bike appeared. I checksd the pedals and bb, the headset and it turned out to come from the linkage. After i checked all the bearings, they were tightened properly, their bolts were lubricated properly and it all seemed correctly working. The shock mount bolts however were a different story. Not only the creac came from them, but after disassembling them, i found out, that the shock bolt itself is inserted in the shock bushing without any lubrication. This was causing excessive friction during shock compression, and the bolt seemed like it had been struggling to rotate inside (it shouldnt be normally) and it had some wear markings. I cleaned up the bolts and bushings with alcohol, then applied some high quality bearing grease to the botls and to the inside of the bushings. After reassembling them, the horrendous creak disappeared, and i noticed great reduction in friction. Despite not having changed any of my shock settings, it worked more smoothly and felt noticeably plusher. The bike itself now feels like a cloud and absorbs succesive hits much better than before. It turned out that the linkage works fine and the air shock is not bad at all.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 1:26 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
An interesting issue. I dont know if it is common, but it happened to me and to 2 othert people whose tyee broke the rockshox coil shock. To be precise, i have a float x2 and it didnt broke, but i noticed some difficulty in the shock movement from day one. I mean, it wasnt bad, it was better than anything before in terms if sensitivity, but just wasnt what i expected. I tried numerous setups and it improved a bit, but the shock didnt seem as responsive as i would expect. I explined that with the progressive linkage or with the air shock. After 7 months of riding, a bizzare creak on my bike appeared. I checksd the pedals and bb, the headset and it turned out to come from the linkage. After i checked all the bearings, they were tightened properly, their bolts were lubricated properly and it all seemed correctly working. The shock mount bolts however were a different story. Not only the creac came from them, but after disassembling them, i found out, that the shock bolt itself is inserted in the shock bushing without any lubrication. This was causing excessive friction during shock compression, and the bolt seemed like it had been struggling to rotate inside (it shouldnt be normally) and it had some wear markings. I cleaned up the bolts and bushings with alcohol, then applied some high quality bearing grease to the botls and to the inside of the bushings. After reassembling them, the horrendous creak disappeared, and i noticed great reduction in friction. Despite not having changed any of my shock settings, it worked more smoothly and felt noticeably plusher. The bike itself now feels like a cloud and absorbs succesive hits much better than before. It turned out that the linkage works fine and the air shock is not bad at all.

This is interesting - I had the exact same problem at the end of last week, and did exactly the same thing to resolve it (all be it I used oil to lubricate and it was on a RS Coil shock).

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 1:38 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:

I had the same issue...Rockshox shock mounts are notoriously stiff when new, I think this may have actually caused some shocks to snap from the twisting force it then puts through the slim shaft of the coil shock.

I pressed the pins out of the bushes, then wrapped a bit of wet & dry sandpaper round a small socket and used this to basically 'wear down' the bush a bit until the pin could be pushed back in by hand (with some resistance). I also added a small dab of slick suspension grease between pin and bush in an effort to reduce friction as much as possible!

Until then, it felt rubbish and I couldn't set up the shock as the mounts were so stiff they affected rebound speed. I'm also considering a spring bearing to reduce friction further https://j-techsuspension.co.uk/products/j-tech-shock-spring-bearing-35mm

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 1:39 Quote
The RS shocks apparently have super stiff bushings at the moment. Normally their should not be rotating anything around that shock bolt. That inner sleeve should be clamp fixed in place, while the shock eye rotated around it due to the bushing. The bushings seems to be so tight the dont allow that......

The popular choice on the german forum is to replace by huber bushings.

I also checked my X2 by clamping the shock in a vice and X2 was rotating easily. So it seems to be mainly RS indeed.

This linkage makes approximately a rotating of 45 degrees on top and 35 degrees on the bottom. It is really sensitive to smooth bushings anyway. I could not find any needle bearing bushings in stock in the right size, else I would like to test those.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 1:55 Quote
terribleone1982 wrote:
I had the same issue...Rockshox shock mounts are notoriously stiff when new, I think this may have actually caused some shocks to snap from the twisting force it then puts through the slim shaft of the coil shock.

I pressed the pins out of the bushes, then wrapped a bit of wet & dry sandpaper round a small socket and used this to basically 'wear down' the bush a bit until the pin could be pushed back in by hand (with some resistance). I also added a small dab of slick suspension grease between pin and bush in an effort to reduce friction as much as possible!

Until then, it felt rubbish and I couldn't set up the shock as the mounts were so stiff they affected rebound speed. I'm also considering a spring bearing to reduce friction further https://j-techsuspension.co.uk/products/j-tech-shock-spring-bearing-35mm

I actually swapped the stock bushes with a full new set from Offset bushings (with no offset for the moment), and they had the same issue. Ive done the same and used wet and dry to get them to be a bit less sticky and it seems to be working so far.

I've also got a spring bearing on and it works a treat. Only thing to bear in mind is that it takes up enough of the shaft length for the coil that you need a coil compressor (made my own with some rope) to get enough space to actually get the retaining clip back on. Works great when its installed though.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 3:01 Quote
lews-therin wrote:
I actually swapped the stock bushes with a full new set from Offset bushings (with no offset for the moment), and they had the same issue. Ive done the same and used wet and dry to get them to be a bit less sticky and it seems to be working so far.

I've also got a spring bearing on and it works a treat. Only thing to bear in mind is that it takes up enough of the shaft length for the coil that you need a coil compressor (made my own with some rope) to get enough space to actually get the retaining clip back on. Works great when its installed though.

Actually just ordered a spring bearing as this thread reminded me so thanks for the tip! I'm making do with my DIY bushing hack for now and then will order some aftermarket bushes when they eventually wear out.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 4:12 Quote
Any heavy guys (110 kg +) riding the Tyee on here?

If so are you having any issued with rebound being to fast on air shocks or just blowing trough travel?

I know the linkage is pretty progressive but just like on my stumpjumper evo the shock stroke is pretty short compared to actual travel.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 2:26 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:

Interesting.

I have a Propain Spindrift since few months, I rode it using AIR shock for the moment without any issue.

But when I mounted the RS Coil Shock, this is not the same story, that work good but I have a very strange feeling on the small bumps (on the first mm of travel) any issue with big drops.

This issue feels like the spring is not correctly torqued, like if I have a play, but everything is correctly torqued and no play in static, this feeling is ONLY on dynamic.

I notice difficulties to insert the shock on the frame linkage. The radial adjustment between bushes and frame linkage is pretty tight, specially at the top connection (where we can find some RS broken shock).

I also notice that on the shock fixation shock bolts, the black paint is somewhere disappeared.

I dont know what to do.

I planed to dismounted all the bike, and all the bearing, grease everything, and remount everything.

PS: the coil shock has been sent to ROCK SHOX to check if there is any issue with it, but they dont find anything, the shox is OK from their side.

Pretty curious.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 2:44 Quote
Sweet06 wrote:
Uchwmdr wrote:

Interesting.

I have a Propain Spindrift since few months, I rode it using AIR shock for the moment without any issue.

But when I mounted the RS Coil Shock, this is not the same story, that work good but I have a very strange feeling on the small bumps (on the first mm of travel) any issue with big drops.

This issue feels like the spring is not correctly torqued, like if I have a play, but everything is correctly torqued and no play in static, this feeling is ONLY on dynamic.

I notice difficulties to insert the shock on the frame linkage. The radial adjustment between bushes and frame linkage is pretty tight, specially at the top connection (where we can find some RS broken shock).

I also notice that on the shock fixation shock bolts, the black paint is somewhere disappeared.

I dont know what to do.

I planed to dismounted all the bike, and all the bearing, grease everything, and remount everything.

PS: the coil shock has been sent to ROCK SHOX to check if there is any issue with it, but they dont find anything, the shox is OK from their side.

Pretty curious.
Replace the bushings for smoother than RS ones.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015303
Mobile Version of Website