Tyee 2020

Posted: Nov 14, 2022 at 0:30 Quote
The issues with the cable routing are the the only thing putting me off buying one of these. I'm really hoping they update the frame soon and I'll buy one straight away.

In terms of sizing, I'm 5"11 on a meta with 490 reach, so at 6"2 I'm not surprised 470 feels short, probably because it is. Only option is to try a longer stem, you can probably go up to 50mm length without it starting to impact the steering too much

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2022 at 2:32 Quote
dirtrider121 wrote:
The issues with the cable routing are the the only thing putting me off buying one of these. I'm really hoping they update the frame soon and I'll buy one straight away.

Don't let it be - it really isn't a problem! Yes they improved it on the Spindrift, but it really is fine. I have no issues with cables on my Tyee CF 29 in XL.

Posted: Nov 14, 2022 at 2:54 Quote
Almost two years with a 29 Tyee CF now. Haven't had any problems with the cable routing. Also, don't understand the issues with the coil spring rates. I weigh 84kg equipped with riding gear, I have the 500lbs spring (on a RS SuperDeluxe) and it's spot on, 27-28% sag with half of preload rotation.
The only issues I had with the bike were with the linkage bolts, I broke two of them already.

Posted: Nov 14, 2022 at 5:05 Quote
GunnarGunnarGunnar wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:
You mentioned before you are 6ft2"? I would actually have guessed that you would have chosen a XL instead of L. It is borderline, but if you want stability at speed XL. If you have to do EWS-like stuff probably could go down to L on those switchback tracks.

If you slacken by 1deg, you also slightly reduce the reach, so enlarging that short feel you had.

I couldn't decide on L or XL. L seemed closer geo wise to all the other larges aside from reach, but honestly most of the geo specs on the tyee are pretty far off from what you'd normally see from a bike like this. The main reason I didn't go XL was geo wise it seemed way too tall. Longer seat tube, higher stack, etc. They really have some weird geo on these bikes compared to most mid-long travel enduro bikes out there. high and short, where everything else is low, long, and slack.

Now I'm wishing I got an XL but at the same time thinking it might've felt way too tall.

Different body types: I'm 6ft/182cm, and find Tyee's not tall at all. I need to run a 40mm riser and a 210mm one-up dropper, that I don't even need to put in all the way into the seattube.

Wrt cable routing: I also had that same routing on previous bike brands, but the execution on the Tyee is just a bit sloppy in the details. If the entry on the CF frames and the tierips on the AL frames would be a bit more forward, would avoid a lot of potential tyre contact.
We have two Tyee's and the it really depends on the pigtail tendency of the installed cable. Giving an extra rotation on the brake caliper one way or the other has a big influence if the loop want to go towards wheel or away from it.

If you are mechanical savy with bike's you automatically checks all when taking it out the box. But not everyone is, and they only get the issue when they hear something rubbing on the first ride. It's just not a handy set-up for a direct to consumer brand.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 8:06 Quote
I got my frame this week. Jesus.... it was packed loose in a box, barely any bubble wrap with foam protection only on the headtube and rear axel. I'm shocked it wasn't damaged.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 13:56 Quote
CamTakacs wrote:
I got my frame this week. Jesus.... it was packed loose in a box, barely any bubble wrap with foam protection only on the headtube and rear axel. I'm shocked it wasn't damaged.

I’m not surprised, I received my frame 2months ago in the U.S. with shitty packaging, I sent fyi email to support since derailleur was bent/sticking out of box…no reply. They don’t care I guess, get what you pay for situation.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 18:44 Quote
Dreifert wrote:
CamTakacs wrote:

I’m not surprised, I received my frame 2months ago in the U.S. with shitty packaging, I sent fyi email to support since derailleur was bent/sticking out of box…no reply. They don’t care I guess, get what you pay for situation.

Yeah idk they really did you guys dirty. I got my frame with foam taped around pretty much the entire frame, and plenty of foam in the box. It wasn't moving around at all.

Also, I'm still waiting on them to send me a replacement lower linkage. Right out of the box, the lower shock bolt took a 2 foot breaker bar to remove it, it was cross-threaded in there due to the two holes not being aligned perfectly. They emailed me back saying they had seen a few like this, I guess mine slipped thru QC Rolleyes By the time I got it out, the threads on the linkage and bolt were mostly destroyed and there were metal shavings everywhere. I reinstalled it and still rode it like that a few times, but it definitely makes me feel uneasy.

I inquired about getting an invoice for some derailleur hangers since they aren't on the web store yet, since I like having one handy especially for a direct-to-consumer brand that doesn't use the UDH. They said they would send an invoice, but after a week I never got a response, and before I could remind them, a free hanger showed up in my mailbox. so that was nice.

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2022 at 6:18 Quote
wilkomtb wrote:
dirtrider121 wrote:

Don't let it be - it really isn't a problem! Yes they improved it on the Spindrift, but it really is fine. I have no issues with cables on my Tyee CF 29 in XL.

This^ I managed to get mine working with just a zip tie on the chainstay and no need for any cable guide down there.

I did find mine a bit noisy, ended up using STFU chain shush-er and also had to wedge a bit of sponge in the top of the down tube to stop the cables rattling.

I'm on a Meta SX now and personally I think the cable routing and general quality of the frame is noticeably better than my Tyee.

Posted: Nov 18, 2022 at 7:57 Quote
terribleone1982 wrote:
wilkomtb wrote:
dirtrider121 wrote:

This^ I managed to get mine working with just a zip tie on the chainstay and no need for any cable guide down there.

I did find mine a bit noisy, ended up using STFU chain shush-er and also had to wedge a bit of sponge in the top of the down tube to stop the cables rattling.

I'm on a Meta SX now and personally I think the cable routing and general quality of the frame is noticeably better than my Tyee.
Do you know from which factory those Commencal are coming? Probably a sticker inside the headtube area if it is Genio.

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 7:28 Quote
CowardlyBear wrote:
Utter wrote:
Think I want to order Huber bushings for my RS SDC, anyone got the measurements from their order?

It's on the Propain website under "Technical Data". The dimensions are:

- Top: 8 x 35 mm
- Bottom: 8 x 30 mm

You'll need the 12.7 mm ones.
About to actually order now to have it replaced during winter service.
But I noticed there’s three different 12,7mm ones you can order. One 2-piece, one 3-piece and one 3-piece extra wide. The extra wide is not correct since it’s 55mm+, but which one of the other two should you get?

Posted: Nov 30, 2022 at 12:20 Quote
Anyone hear of any news on a new Tyee or updated version is coming out in 2023?

Posted: Nov 30, 2022 at 12:51 Quote
SkinnieAF wrote:
Anyone hear of any news on a new Tyee or updated version is coming out in 2023?
No news, but from the sale I would expect an update at least. But i would say more a revision than a true new model. Maybe with spindrift cable routing, better softer chainstay protectors, new colors., etc One can dream ....

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
Utter wrote:
CowardlyBear wrote:
Utter wrote:
Think I want to order Huber bushings for my RS SDC, anyone got the measurements from their order?

It's on the Propain website under "Technical Data". The dimensions are:

- Top: 8 x 35 mm
- Bottom: 8 x 30 mm

You'll need the 12.7 mm ones.
About to actually order now to have it replaced during winter service.
But I noticed there’s three different 12,7mm ones you can order. One 2-piece, one 3-piece and one 3-piece extra wide. The extra wide is not correct since it’s 55mm+, but which one of the other two should you get?

The 2-piece and 3-piece should be the same dimensions. I remember reading somewhere that the manufacturing of the 3-piece is a bit more accurate and they therefore should be smoother.

Posted: Dec 18, 2022 at 22:47 Quote
Hi mates,

Can someone please share a picture to show in detail how cable routing is supposed to be done?

I'm specially interested in seatpost cable. Cause the plastic piece under the frame, seems to only allow 2 cables (shifter, brake) and I don't knownif there's enough room to fit the seatpost cable.

Sorry if seems a silly question, but i've been searching around and can't find any good detail about this.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Dec 19, 2022 at 3:53 Quote
zhAs wrote:
Hi mates,

Can someone please share a picture to show in detail how cable routing is supposed to be done?

I'm specially interested in seatpost cable. Cause the plastic piece under the frame, seems to only allow 2 cables (shifter, brake) and I don't knownif there's enough room to fit the seatpost cable.

Sorry if seems a silly question, but i've been searching around and can't find any good detail about this.

Thanks in advance.
Not mine, but it shows the gist: I would use ductape instead of tie-rips on the plastic thing. You want a break-away item if it snags,not a tierip ripping on your hose.

Also the overall slack in brakehose and shifter cable seems on the tight side. Makes sure there is enough slack for a bottom out.

Keep the dropper cable-hose tight. Else it will rub on the chainstay brace. And a extra tierip aroung the weld on the chainstay to avoid rubbing knobs on the hoses
photo
photo

Test your slack in cables like this:
Bottom out on AL L 29. 620 Podium fits 710 podium doesn t

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012169
Mobile Version of Website