E-bikes - When’s the right time to buy?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
E-bikes - When’s the right time to buy?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 14:41 Quote
Im considering a new bike next year and for my circumstances, and probably a lot of others, E bikes make a lot of sense.

However, I can’t help but feel like the technology is still in its infancy and there will be big leaps over the next few years.

Weight is a particular issue for me, as the current range of E-bikes are too heavy for a roof mounted carrier and I’d need to have a tow bar fitted to the car. The batteries will always mean weight is an issue but surely the 7kg premium needs to drop.

I’m interested to see the opinion of others on here. Are you holding out a few more years to see how things progress or just going for it??

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 16:54 Quote
I am holding out on an e-bike until my body just can hardly handle riding uphill anymore without the electric help. As I normally ride with my dogs (when not at a lift access mountain) and already pedal for a long enough loop (8-20km) that my dogs (boxers) are getting tired. So I don’t need to extend my ride at this point.

As for how the technology is advancing, I look forward to when a well built enduro or freeride e-bike weighs no more than 40 pounds.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 7:05 Quote
I see them more as an opportunity to ride twice as far and have twice the fun in the limited time I have available for riding. And also giving a greater choice of routes/distances without the worry over fitness.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 7:39 Quote
In a couple years the battery technology in other industries will transfer to e bikes, and thus the weight will go down. That being said, they are pretty darn fun right now in their current state. I guess the question to ask yourself is if you are going to lose out on more riding as a result of not purchasing one now. If you aren't going to miss out, then might as well wait. If you think the E bike will increase your enjoyment/ amount of riding you can do, then I would say go for it!

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
J-McBride wrote:
I see them more as an opportunity to ride twice as far and have twice the fun in the limited time I have available for riding. And also giving a greater choice of routes/distances without the worry over fitness.

That’s my feeling. Last time I rented one, I rode more than twice the distance I normally do and was having so much fun I didn’t realize how much work I was putting in until my hamstrings started cramping. That’s maybe happened one other time on my non-electric bikes.

I don’t think the technology is in its infancy as the OP said. If you’ve ridden a newer, high end e-bike from one of the big brands you’ll be amazed.

That said, if you’re going to ride both and feel like you won’t ride the e-Ike as much, do the math and see if it’s a better investment to just rent an e-bike when you want to ride it.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 16:50 Quote
The YT Decoy features a removable battery, as I'm sure others do. That alone would drop the weight significantly while mounting on your roof rack...
Just a thought.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 9:21 Quote
The right time to buy - When you are over 60

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 10:46 Quote
Three6ty wrote:
The right time to buy - When you are over 60
Hold on! I am 68 and not even considering going electric.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 11:30 Quote
Wicked - That's what I like to hear!!! Congrats on you riding into your late 60's. I can only hope my body holds up that long.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
Three6ty wrote:
Wicked - That's what I like to hear!!! Congrats on you riding into your late 60's. I can only hope my body holds up that long.
Thanks man. Altho it takes quite a while to warm up now,I can still do all day rides.
Also the wheels only come off the "ground" by accident now.
It takes a long time to heal up at 68.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 14:37 Quote
Falcon991 wrote:
The YT Decoy features a removable battery, as I'm sure others do. That alone would drop the weight significantly while mounting on your roof rack...
Just a thought.

Although that seems completely logical for charging, it had never occurred to me that some e-bikes may be fitted with removable batteries. That alone makes it a more viable option.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 2:53 Quote
Add 15lbs and 3k us dollars for a 750w boost in an already outdated format? Ill take the ktm 525 that has the power "of the space shuttle" or just ride a bicycle. Bikes are fun. 750w motor and batt? Gimme a break what a turd. Good mx bike has over 50 horsepower, some customs closing on 90. (Cr500 ported stock chassis) or you can have 2 horsepower on maxxis exo! Really?!!! Why f**k around? Use the right tool for the job. Jmho

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 3:09 Quote
I'm certainly not against ebikes and they definitely fill a gap in the market. If I'm honest, I'm wary of buying one as I feel it will be all too easy to say " I'm tired, I'll take the bike instead" " My legs are sore, I'll take the ebike" etc.
There will be a time when it's just more beneficial to jump on one, im sure. But for now, I'm a bit of a purist and enjoy the satisfaction of fuelling my ride soley by my own tenacity.

Not wanting to take this post off on a tangent; but for longevity of your body, mountain bikers and cyclists in general really need to focus on stretching and flexibility.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 5:38 Quote
J-McBride wrote:

For aprox. same $$$ you can get used dirt bike and ride 10-times as far with even less worry about fitness. You can even get e-dirtbike.

Answer to OP: never? Whats the point.. do you use motors to assist you when going to gym, that way you can lift 5 times the weights in same amount of time? OK, maybe some injured people and older people... but thats like 3% of buyers. All others are just healthy capable (mostly) man with zillion of excuses... Big Grin

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
Goddamn dude cant even ask a question without a.bunch of anti ebike shitbags weighing in.

We f*cking get it you dont like them

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005367
Mobile Version of Website