Lunch Ride Inflation

Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
Hey Salute

Just tested my mini pump today & found out it took over 4 minutes just to inflate the tire. It seems that amount of time might be excessive on a lunch ride. Should I look into carrying Co2, or do I need a new & faster pump in case I flat? Any suggestions on what I should get & what do you guys take on your rides?

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 18:37 Quote
How about a bit more information?
What pump do you have now? Was it ever any better?
Tubes or tubeless?
What size tires? It takes me about 10 minutes to inflate a 29x2.40 with a mini pump!

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 19:02 Quote
wickedfatchance wrote:
How about a bit more information?
What pump do you have now? Was it ever any better?
Tubes or tubeless?
What size tires? It takes me about 10 minutes to inflate a 29x2.40 with a mini pump!

Have the Crank Brothers mini pump with gauge from 2002. Got it for my first mtb. It was one of the better pumps at the time. I’m not sure if the performance has dropped off, but I did clean & grease it a few times over the years including last year with suspension grease. 26x2.1 tires with tubes for the test. I guess I could go tubeless anytime I want now since I have the valves & junk. Just would have to buy sealant.

Is a working 18yr old pump a record?

10 minutes is a long time...maybe pumps haven’t gotten any better in 20 years

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 20:22 Quote
I checked my mini for a name but it's worn off, couldn't recommend it anyway.
Went tubeless as soon as I could, maybe 15 years back.
Still carry a tube, use it about twice a year.
Never got into cartridges, figured the gas would react with the sealant.
Not that's an issue with tubes.
You got the oldest mini pump I ever heard of.I've lost many of the little f ers.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 20:45 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Get a fumpa

That looks good, I wonder if it can hold up to rain?
Do you have one?

Pretty good speed at less than 1 minute too

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 22:25 Quote
I have never had great success with co2. the last one I used let me down when I figured out there were two spots that needed plugging.

I highly recommend a plugging kit. I can usually plug my tire leak before it lets all the air out. I have the oneup one on one bike but it is over priced. I have the Blackburn setup on the rest of my bikes and it works just fine. Also comes with a gear strap.

For pumps, I only use oneup. It has seals that keep the water and grit out. I have had the same pumps on my bikes through rain, sleet and snow and they still work perfectly. The large volume pump inflates pretty quick for a hand pump. If I plug the whole quick, I usually only need to pump for a few minutes to get the pressure back up.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 22:32 Quote
I carry co2, a very small mini pump, tire plugs and a tube strapped to the frame. The CO2 is for filling the tire if completely flat or has been removed from bead to re-seat bead (good luck doing that with a mini pump unless you are installing a tube). The pump is for burps, to adjust my pressure to desired pressure or as a last resort if I have run out of CO2. The plugs are to repair damaged tire and the tube is a last resort if the plugs won't do the trick.
CO2 does not react in any way with sealants. CO2 is a normal part of the earth's atmosphere, we breathe it in just as the plants and our pumps would. This just is a concentrated cartridge of it which is used because it is inexpensive, nonflammable and more of it can be squeezed into small containers than other inert gasses.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 22:50 Quote
rahrider wrote:
I have never had great success with co2. the last one I used let me down when I figured out there were two spots that needed plugging.

Oh, carrying a couple co2s can be handy. Be sure to get the 25 gram ones as 16 and 20 will leave you needing to use the pump and may not even seat your beads..
If you use a control CO2 inflator you can shut off the CO2 at anytime and start using again, allowing you to get the pressure right and also to shut it off if you hear a leak that needs attention. This saves you from wasting the entire cartridge.

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 16:42 Quote
wickedfatchance wrote:

If you use CO2 I am going to have no choice but to report you to Gretta Thunberg.....

(and then, if she exhales I will report her to Al Gore).

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 20:21 Quote
RoadStain wrote:
wickedfatchance wrote:

If you use CO2 I am going to have no choice but to report you to Gretta Thunberg.....

That's funny!
I've got the same amount of respect for both of them.
Zero zip nada

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 21:25 Quote
wickedfatchance wrote:
RoadStain wrote:
wickedfatchance wrote:

That's funny!
I've got the same amount of respect for both of them.
Zero zip nada

Ha Ha! That's so funny! Why on earth would we want a better environment?! It's not like any of us use that or anything!

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 2:13 Quote
Explodo wrote:

Ha Ha! That's so funny! Why on earth would we want a better environment?! It's not like any of us use that or anything!

You of course are aware that when you exhale, you are ridding your body of CO2, right?

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 7:54 Quote
RoadStain wrote:
Explodo wrote:

You of course are aware that when you exhale, you are ridding your body of CO2, right?

You are aware of the harm of single use disposables to the environment? The harm caused from mining the metal? The harm caused by manufacturing the capsule and the harm caused by the process of filling the capsules? The harm of transporting these goods?

I realize the hypocrisy coming from myself as I personally use CO2 cartridges when I am stuck out in the bush. However, I at least am aware of these things, try to reduce my impact and don't spread ignorant hate with irrelevant posts on forum posts where someone is looking for legitimate advice.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 19:25 Quote
Co2 looks like the fastest option. Do the cartridges ever go bad or expire?

The environmentally friendly product I was thinking about recently is Peatys. Are you guys running Peaty’s Tubeless Tire Sealant yet? They were marketing it as made from some plant if I recall.

Anyone using the Topeak Morph or Lezyne Micro Floor Drive? They look faster than 4 minutes.

Not really sure about that fumpa in the rain. It’s a great concept, but it tends to rain a lot over here & I’m skeptical about the waterproof rating on the pump.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005429
Mobile Version of Website