Lunch Ride Inflation

• Next Page
Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 8:15 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
I realize the hypocrisy coming from myself as I personally use CO2 cartridges when I am stuck out in the bush. However, I at least am aware of these things, try to reduce my impact and don't spread ignorant hate with irrelevant posts on forum posts where someone is looking for legitimate advice.

Oddly, I did not ponder this as I watched a tech pour 9 qts of Mobil1 into my engine this AM noticing I did need new tires (again after only 10k MI.).

That said, it was relevant as the OP said "Never got into cartridges, figured the gas would react with the sealant.".

As it turns out the CO2 is a BAD idea. While I will not copy./paste a quote from another cycling site, nor the information therein; If someone was to internet search for "CO2 react tire sealant - Leonard Zinn" one might find a very informative article pertaining to the use, the manufacturers' comments and the fine points of the use of this deadly gas. Possibly the article was dated in December of 14, would still be valid, however.

While I could care less about the environmental impact of a CO2 cartridge on the earth, I do care about the impact on my tire.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 9:19 Quote
RoadStain wrote:

That said, it was relevant as the OP said "Never got into cartridges, figured the gas would react with the sealant.".

The OP didn’t post that, but thanks for the info anyway. Don’t even run tubeless at all yet. My tubeless tires & taped rims have tubes. The valve stems are sitting in my parts bin. I am not sold on the use of sealant & that is why I’m not running tubeless.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 17:51 Quote
SS-Minox wrote:
I am not sold on the use of sealant & that is why I’m not running tubeless.

I do on my MTN, not at all on my road bikes. Can not seem to find a benifit that has any bearing on my riding style (despite most of my wheels are "2-Way fit").

MTN is it nice until all of a sudden your Stans is seeping from your sidewalls (specialized tires) and on and on and on. Orange seems pretty good....

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 8:32 Quote
SS-Minox wrote:
RoadStain wrote:

The OP didn’t post that, but thanks for the info anyway. Don’t even run tubeless at all yet. My tubeless tires & taped rims have tubes. The valve stems are sitting in my parts bin. I am not sold on the use of sealant & that is why I’m not running tubeless.

You really should just go ahead and make the jump to tubeless. Where I used to live (far east Denver), picking up 30-40 goat's head thorns per tire was normal on a ride. Sealant really works. I would never have been able to ride out there if I was using tubes. I used Stan's for a long time, but got annoyed with the mess it would make both inside the tire and on the frame(doesn't come off so well once dried on). I tried orange seal and I'm sold on that stuff. It works better and cleans up a lot better.

Normally you don't really have to get to the point of cleaning the old sealant out of good tires, but since it was mostly sandy where I used to live, tires would eventually become so full of holes that they had to be replaced before they wore out.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012695
Mobile Version of Website