New England riding which Santa Cruz Tallboy or Hightower

PB Forum :: 29ers
New England riding which Santa Cruz Tallboy or Hightower
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 12:19 Quote
Background
Recently moved to New England. I have been riding Vietnam and F. Gilbert Hills mostly. The rocks and roots are a bit too much on the current Trek Fuel98 XC plus I am on my 3rd frame. 6'5" 215lbs and don't ride as aggressive as I once did.

Options
Narrowed it down to 2020 Santa Cruz Tallboy or the Hightower. I am thinking possibly R or S carbon over aluminium with the carbon wheels in an XXL.

For the ride - New England XC, I am looking for something forgiving on rocky downhills but still climbs. I am not sure if the Tallboy has the travel or if the Hightower will be too squishy.

LBS?
Still up in the air with local shops. Being told Santa Cruz is doing a computer upgrade so they have no clue what's available. Not sure who has decent mechanics and I don't want to pick my LBS on someone in sales person not getting back to me on availability. Landry's and Bikebarn seem to be the options between PVD and BOS.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 16:02 Quote
The 36 forks are a good nit more stable. I am 6', 215 and have owned the previous TB, HT, and now the Hightower LT. My trails would be considered XCish by most. I ride in the foothills of NC. A short travel bike is all I really need, but the longer travel bike is a hoot. I bought a leftover HT with the intention of selling the LT, but it does everything so well I ended up selling HT. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the longer travel bikes pedal now. I like a firm pedaling platform and have ran the shock in the mid position on all my bikes.

I have been eyeing a new HT too, but right now, I have no complaints. Maybe later in the year.

I don't like factory stuff so I end up replacing everything. I will be doing a frame next go around. I built my YB from the frame and my LT was a store closing deal and got a really good price.

Also, I picked up a set of Reserve carbon wheels this past fall and have been really pleased over the custom I9/Stans Flow I had prior.

You may want to call Colorado Cyclist as they tend to work with you on price if you ask.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
Also, my bike now is under 30 lbs, but I found reducing the 1/2 lb in rotational weight on the wheels made the most difference.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 5:45 Quote
Thanks for the reply. Went with the TB and wheel upgrade.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 6:49 Quote
Hard to make a wrong choice. lol

would like to hear your review of the bike once you get a chance to spend a little time on it.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005265
Mobile Version of Website