FORK NOT GETTING FULL TRAVEL

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
FORK NOT GETTING FULL TRAVEL
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 22:17 Quote
Hi everyone. I just got my bike from theproscloset equipped with a Rockshox lyrik ultimate. Basically after assembling the bike, I set up the lyric to 55 psi, which is what was recommended for my weight on the chart, 120lbs. I noticed that the fork is already compressed down to 30% with me yet to get on the bike. when I ride around it sits at more than 70% travel. Higher pressure does nothing as it will still sit at more than 15% sag without me even on the bike. (5% is suppose to be normal). The only way it extends to full travel is if I pull it up by hand, but shortly after it just sinks back down. I realized this is common for newer Rockshox forks because of something to do with too much grease clogging the negative spring port according to other forums. Maybe I just have to get it rebuilt? Even though it’s practically new.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 3:17 Quote
I may be wrong but I'd wager theres some suspension grease blocking the equalising port between the positive and negative chamber, preventing the two chambers regulating.
If it is, it's a really easy fix if you're handy. Or have experience doing basic lower services on forks.

Edit: I only read the first part of your post and not the complete post doh!

You could try keeping the valve depressed and 'topping out the fork' Then letting the valve close. Reinflate. But I doubt this will work. Even if it did it would likely be very short lived.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 6:09 Quote
Before disassembling the fork try the following. Get a small zip tie and carefully pull one side of your fork’s dust wiper to create a gap at the stancion. Insert the zip tie so it goes between the dust wiper and stancion, a few inches deep. You may hear a hiss as trapped air is released. Repeat on other side.

Some forks are prone to trapping air when performing a service when assembled in a compressed state creating a stuck down scenario. They should be assembled in extended state.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
Wishiwasbiking wrote:
Before disassembling the fork try the following. Get a small zip tie and carefully pull one side of your fork’s dust wiper to create a gap at the stancion. Insert the zip tie so it goes between the dust wiper and stancion, a few inches deep. You may hear a hiss as trapped air is released. Repeat on other side.

Some forks are prone to trapping air when performing a service when assembled in a compressed state creating a stuck down scenario. They should be assembled in extended state.

Ok I just tried that on both sides one time with the pressure still in, and another time with no pressure at all. The only difference is the fork is slightly more sensitive but the problem still remains the same. I guess the last solution is take it into the shop for the rebuild.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006090
Mobile Version of Website