Bontrager Racelite vintage bike advice

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Bontrager Racelite vintage bike advice
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 14:03 Quote
Hi. I hope it's ok to post here for advice about a possible sale.

I've got a beautiful 1994 (I think) Bontrager Racelite that I am considering selling. It's a great bike, and deserves to be ridden. I would rather sell it as a complete bike (see below), but have no real idea about how to price it, or whether to get it powder coated before I do. I had put it up on another forum in the UK but didn't get much interest. What would your advice be on price and the best place to advertise?

Size Large (19"), racing green (original paintjob), with original decals. Some chips as shown in the pics, but I reckoned whoever bought it might like to choose a colour rather than me getting it powder coated myself. Frame is beautifully made in Santa Cruz, and includes the two-piece seat tube that identifies it as a pre-95 frame, as well as the machined head tube that identifies it as a Racelite. I think! There seem to be so many variations on this frame that I'm all ears if I've got any of that wrong... Frame number is 1183.

Frame includes original anti-chainsuck plate. Dropouts are original and in good nick (see pictures). Two of the four bottle cage bosses need retapping. I've tried to show the frame in detail in the photos so please check these for condition. Whilst there are paint chips, and a small amount of surface rust where the paint has been chipped in places,. there are no dents.

I bought this whilst working as a cycle mechanic, from another mechanic, who bought it new from Keith Bontrager directly, and I've ridden it very little since I bought it about 15 years ago.

SID fork probably needs a service but is working fine. Decals need replacing.

Comes with black Chris King aheadset in great condition.

I've built it up with a full XT M750 groupset. Wheels are XT on Mavic X222.

Finishing kit includes a Kore seatpost, WTB saddle, Bontrager stem, Shimano SPDs etc.
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

FL
Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 3:09 Quote
Do not respray the bike.
Try selling it off as a complete.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 10:12 Quote
On a bike like that, you'll obviously have the option of parting it out or selling as whole. If you want a quick sell, keep it whole & ask a reasonable amount.

$300 would be realistic.

If you want to maximize your money you can part it out. Small parts on ebay. Wheels & tires frame & fork local. OR on ebay if you have the box's. That fork with new seals and oil could get $175 ish assuming it hasn't been grinded to death.

Frame wise you can sell that refinished or not. You might have an issue getting any more money out of the frame if you have it refinished.

If it was me I would part it out but that's what I do with all my old bikes. Old 9 speed drivetrain parts still command a decent price. That CK headset is worth $80.

With all the parts frame & tires

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014839
Mobile Version of Website