Shimano xt - any downsides to metallic pads (vs resin)?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Shimano xt - any downsides to metallic pads (vs resin)?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 23:46 Quote
looking at the shimano m8120 brakes ... and it comes with a choice of resin vs metal

apart from a few quid in price and noise, are there any downsides to the resin in terms of performance? some say it takes a while to warm up, some say it bites too hard, some say there are no downsides! i'm confused ...

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 1:14 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
looking at the shimano m8120 brakes ... and it comes with a choice of resin vs metal

apart from a few quid in price and noise, are there any downsides to the resin in terms of performance? some say it takes a while to warm up, some say it bites too hard, some say there are no downsides! i'm confused ...
Metal always for me... more consistent bite (in wet especially), longer lifetime of pads, long descents more consistent bite. Noisier in wet - true - but can live with that, i'm more interested in stopping Big Grin

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 2:57 Quote
does it need to "warm up" before it works?

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 3:56 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
does it need to "warm up" before it works?
Just normal bed-in when getting new pads (10 times sprint as fast as you can, then drag brakes without locking up wheel to almost full stop) no other "warming-up" is needed Big Grin

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 11:21 Quote
Metallic will last considerably longer than resin in wet conditions. Metallic are the only pads I'll use.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 15:35 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:

I've gone from resin pads to metal. Wouldn't look back.

Couple of things to consider:

1. Are your rotors metal compatible? Some work with resin pads only. If your rotors are resin only and you use metal pads then you run the risk of warping your rotor
2. Are you a heavier rider? Metal pads are generally better for heavier riders as there is less brake fade. I am 105kg and was using resin pads for a while. Had a long, steep downhill section and I lost all power from my brakes due to brake fade - was horrible. I haven't experienced this with metal pads.

Personally, I think metals give more power (that being said, I did up my rotor size at the same time...)

Metal pads do take some time to "warm up". Go for a ride and immediately brake. You will find they're not that great. Give it 5 minutes into your run and they will be powerful as. In my experience at least. Hope that helps.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 15:47 Quote
The only downsides aside from what you mention is they will wear through rotors faster. Metallics are the only pads I will run, every bike I've owned is immediately swapped to metallics

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 17:30 Quote
sweet metal it is thanks

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 19:09 Quote
I really think it is a matter of what type riding you are doing. I prefer the resin as I get more pull before lockup and ride primarly XC style trails with short braking distances. I also want my rotors to last longer.

If I rode up, or shuttled and took long downhills, I would run metallic. I simply have much better modulation with resin for what I ride. Choose accordingly.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I really think it is a matter of what type riding you are doing. I prefer the resin as I get more pull before lockup and ride primarly XC style trails with short braking distances. I also want my rotors to last longer.

If I rode up, or shuttled and took long downhills, I would run metallic. I simply have much better modulation with resin for what I ride. Choose accordingly.

Seconded. Resin are great on dusty trail/XC. Not so great when you start pointing downhill for extended periods. I’m a big guy and with resin pads I get massive arm pump on downhill runs.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
gafoto wrote:
gmoss wrote:

Seconded. Resin are great on dusty trail/XC. Not so great when you start pointing downhill for extended periods. I’m a big guy and with resin pads I get massive arm pump on downhill runs.

thanks. all my XC bikes and the kids and wife bikes are resin.

my commuter bikes that go downhill (i live on top of a hill it's 3kms downhill all the way to work) have metallic pads.

i'm just buying a 4 pot shimano for my enduro. so that'll be metallic then.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004872
Mobile Version of Website