Custom hardtail - thoughts and questions about geometry. Long!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Custom hardtail - thoughts and questions about geometry. Long!
| Next Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 4:47 Quote
Looks good... If you want to have a bike that is biased heavily towards descending. Trust me, short chainstay with such a long front center will not make for a great climber regardless of seat angle. I've had two HT Marinos with very similar geo apart from the CS length (430 vs 440) and the 440 one is a vastly superior climber.

Also I believe that BB drop should be based also around the size of your wheels. 25mm is kind of low bb drop for a 27. 5 wheels bike (Nukeproof scout 275 has 50mm drop FYI) and is a really low bb drop for a 29er.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 5:09 Quote
Armchair engineering time:
- 520mm is a lot of reach on an hardtail, when loaded that goes to 535mm or so and will even get longer going step sections. Not saying that's wrong, just commenting, that's very long even for Pole/Nicolai/Geometron standards
- That front-center to rear-center ration is a bit extreme. It will need a very active riding on corners. I would go at least 10mm longer on the rear, at least

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 7:10 Quote
I contemplated going full custom ti from China.

If I stuffed up the geometry, that would be my problem.

Instead I bought a sick bike frame.

On one have bought up these and are selling them as hello Dave’s

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOHD/on-one-hello-dave-frame

I’m 6”4 in xl large with a 160 mrp fork I’m considering shortening.

Goes up well, goes down well. Corners well.

Weights a tone .

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 21:05 Quote
I missed that one when going through the On-One frames. Their website is a bit shit in my defence. That does look pretty spot on in terms of sizing for me, I'll investigate further.

Thanks for the heads up about chainstays, that's the sort of thing I'm trying to find out, so very useful!

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
I don’t know why people ride bikes with 140-160 mm front travel and ZERO in the rear. A 100-120 mm fork on a hardtail makes some sense to me, but the only hardtails I ride are rentals where a full sus wasn’t available. Hardtails are cheaper and lighter, climb better, but not as fast downhill. Just my opinion.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 23:46 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
I don’t know why people ride bikes with 140-160 mm front travel and ZERO in the rear. A 100-120 mm fork on a hardtail makes some sense to me, but the only hardtails I ride are rentals where a full sus wasn’t available. Hardtails are cheaper and lighter, climb better, but not as fast downhill. Just my opinion.

It’s fun riding my hardtail. Different to the full suss, but fun.

If it was a super rocky day out, I’d take the full suss. The stuff I can ride to from my house is pretty smooth so there’s no real need for any suspension. Disappointing my (faster than me) mate is still as fast as me on his cross bike there.

As for fork travel I’d have the same geometry with a shorter fork, but no one makes them. I chickened out of designing one myself and having it made in ti in China. I thought I might miss something, disk alignment or spacing or something and end up with a £800 of unrideable un sellable shiny tubes.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 23:55 Quote
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p3pb17738956/p3pb
jpg

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 6:17 Quote
hi, and maybe when you think about geometry is worth seeing a total custom bike? Hand-made, geo-adapted to your height or preferences. OMENRACING.com
OMEN SAVAGE 160mm fork. We also build whole bikes with accessories selected by you
100 hand made custom frame OMEN SAVAGE 27 5 160mm fork . Enduro Trials bikes. www.omenracing.com

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
DrHarry wrote:
Hi guys.

I really want something super long and slack, but not too low (I'm sick of pedal strikes).

I'm thinking something with less than 65 degree effective headangle (prefer between 63 and 64), greater than 500mm reach (thinking more like 520 or 530), but not too low to the ground, so maybe only a 15mm bottom bracket drop.

well then just buy this bike. I'm sure you can order one in hardtail.

The Grim Donut

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 8:37 Quote
I have my manufacture OMENRACING , where I build custom frames, if you want I can build it for you. go to fb https://www.facebook.com/omenracingbikes/

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
http://www.spanner.org.uk/

Is a Bloke that ran a website about getting ti frames made direct buy manufactures in China. There’s still info about that on his site but he is now acting as a designer middle man to make the process of getting a frame made easier.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006135
Mobile Version of Website