Who is Running a Coil on the Sentinel?

PB Forum :: Transition
Who is Running a Coil on the Sentinel?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 23:36 Quote
Just got a DVO Jade on the Sentinel. I weigh about 180lbs, it came with a 450lb spring and I ordered a 500lb (the two most commonly suggested by the online calcs). After cruising around a bit I really liked the more natural feel of the coil but I'm a little unsure on the spring rate. It would be awesome if people could respond with their weights and coil spring rates.

I'll start:

~180lbs

450 or 500lb spring (might try 550 depending on how the 500 works).

Riding style: Pinned in Utah but hitting all of the side hits I can.

FL
Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 16:16 Quote
Been on a sentinel since they came out. Running a cane creek db coil and found it to be a huge improvement vs dpx2 it comes with.

155lbs, 400lbs spring

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 12:13 Quote
I have a new sentinel coming in tomorrow. would it be worth running a progressive spring?

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 14:27 Quote
BoneZ156 wrote:
I have a new sentinel coming in tomorrow. would it be worth running a progressive spring?

It's hard to say, if you want a plush feel probably but I'm running mine pretty stiff and it feels pretty good with a normal spring. That's just hucking stairs (big gaps) though because it's way too snowy to actually ride anything.

Update: Got it on some dirt today, I personally can't imagine needing a progressive coil unless I ran more sag. Once I get it tuned that opinion could change, we will see how much I end up backing off the compression.

If money is no object I think the ideal setup would have a hydraulic bottom out like the EXT shocks.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 8:49 Quote
I’m running the EXT shock. It has the mid stroke support I could never achieve with any air shock on the sentinel. The small bump sensitivity is of course excellent and the hydraulic bottom out works amazing.
If you have the cash I think it’s the best shock for the bike.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 9:27 Quote
Anyone try the MRP Hazzard with progressive spring on the sentinel ?

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 10:05 Quote
biscayne wrote:

Not exactly, but running a Cane Creek progressive spring on my 11-6. It helped a lot on bottom-outs on big hits. If you are going to run coil on a Sentinel, I highly suggest running either a progressive spring or trying an EXT due to the HBO (no personal experience with those).

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 10:31 Quote
biscayne wrote:

I am. Pretty great from the few rides I’ve had on it.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
Good thread so far, with some good info

Question for you guys #oncoil. Are you Shuttling or Pedaling your sentinel?

Curious for those who are pedaling..what if anything you lost or gain on those lame fire-road climbs

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 8:39 Quote
andeh23 wrote:
Not exactly, but running a Cane Creek progressive spring on my 11-6. It helped a lot on bottom-outs on big hits. If you are going to run coil on a Sentinel, I highly suggest running either a progressive spring or trying an EXT due to the HBO (no personal experience with those).

Transition's motion ratio curves have been quite flat (not progressive) on their generation 1 & 2 Horst Link bikes. The recently released Scout is the first to break with that.

Anyone who wants to run a coil should do one or both of the following:

• Use minimal sag, maybe around 20% - 25%.
• Progressive spring and / or other end-stroke support (ex. EXT's HBC).

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 10:26 Quote
ehfour wrote:
Good thread so far, with some good info

Question for you guys #oncoil. Are you Shuttling or Pedaling your sentinel?

Curious for those who are pedaling..what if anything you lost or gain on those lame fire-road climbs

I'm primarily a pedaller. I don't notice a difference from the dpx2 in open mode. It may be a little better actually, because I'm running more compression.

On a different note, does anyone know where I could get a larger bottom out bumper? Hoping to go for a kind of a poor man's bottom out control. Not worried about how that will affect the effective stroke, I can add to/trim the spacer.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
CobyCobie wrote:
[ ... ] does anyone know where I could get a larger bottom out bumper?

Avalanche.

I believe Push also uses / used a long bumper.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 17:31 Quote
I run the ohlins coil in my 19’ Sentinel and it freaking kicks ass !!! If it was capable then, well it’s a whole other beast now

FL
Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 23:52 Quote
Hi guys,

Just the thread I was looking for...

I have a question, I’m currently thinking about switching over to coil on my sentinel and I have friend who can get me trade on RockShox, so I’m looking at the super deluxe RCT. They have a trunnion mount 205-57.5, and I can see that the tune they give it is L rebound and L compression, so from what I understand that means that the tune is good for linear suspension designs I.e. the sentinel (infact on the trade portal it even says ’for transition sentinel’ after the product name).

Question is, if the shock is already tuned to work with the sentinel, do I need to install a progressive spring to stop easy bottom out or will it be ok with a standard spring?

I have sneaking suspicion that with rockshox producing these shocks that are specific to a sentinel it might mean that the new launch of sentinels in 2020 will all be #oncoil as well?! Who knows.

Anyway, any thoughts appreciated

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 0:02 Quote
oatkinso,

Most "custom tunes" just involve picking the Low, Medium, or High compression and rebound tunes from the shock vendor's catalog of tunes. It's rare for there to be a truly model-specific tune, which makes sense, since most bikes are fall into a narrow range of kinematics, yet riders and terrain vary widely, so there's no sense trying to get too precise.

The current Sentinel has a medium to low leverage ratio. Light riders will prefer a Low tune and heavier riders or hard hitters might like a Medium.

The motion ratio curve is quite linear. A progressive spring would be ideal, but you can put a standard spring on anything. You'll just have to use a stiffer spring and less sag than if the bike were more progressive.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007864
Mobile Version of Website