Who is Running a Coil on the Sentinel?

PB Forum :: Transition
Who is Running a Coil on the Sentinel?
| Next Page
Posted: May 5, 2020 at 23:52 Quote
I’m running a mrp hazzard coil with a 500+ progressive spring on my 2018 sentinel. It works very very good compared to the dpx2 and just in general. Super supple, very tuneable and with the combination of the 475-575 (500+) spring and the massive bottom out bumper on the shock I hardly ever bottom out on 10-15ft drops. Yet it feels planted and stable on very fast tech. I’ve noticed that with the sentinel the suspension really doesn’t feel very good on tech until you start going really fast. Btw I’m 200 pounds

Posted: May 5, 2020 at 23:54 Quote
biscayne wrote:
Anyone try the MRP Hazzard with progressive spring on the sentinel ?
I’m running a mrp hazzard coil with a 500+ progressive spring on my 2018 sentinel. It works very very good compared to the dpx2 and just in general. Super supple, very tuneable and with the combination of the 475-575 (500+) spring and the massive bottom out bumper on the shock I hardly ever bottom out on 10-15ft drops. Yet it feels planted and stable on very fast tech. I’ve noticed that with the sentinel the suspension really doesn’t feel very good on tech until you start going really fast. Btw I’m 200 pounds

Posted: May 5, 2020 at 23:54 Quote
BoneZ156 wrote:
I have a new sentinel coming in tomorrow. would it be worth running a progressive spring?
if your heavier and ride hard yes

Posted: May 5, 2020 at 23:56 Quote
ehfour wrote:
Good thread so far, with some good info

Question for you guys #oncoil. Are you Shuttling or Pedaling your sentinel?

Curious for those who are pedaling..what if anything you lost or gain on those lame fire-road climbs
with the combination of being an unfit rider, sentinel frame being pretty heavy, cushcore front and rear, and a coil shock it truly is the worst climbing bike I’ve ever ridden

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 5:53 Quote
rangerdanger2001 wrote:
ehfour wrote:

Curious for those who are pedaling..what if anything you lost or gain on those lame fire-road climbs
with the combination of being an unfit rider, sentinel frame being pretty heavy, cushcore front and rear, and a coil shock it truly is the worst climbing bike I’ve ever ridden
Pickup a more xc focused wheels and tires and remount the air shock..... go do some climbing.
IMO The only people that should have the right to complain about bike weight have their body fat level at around 2%. Take 10 pounds off your butt before you worry about 2 pounds extra weight on your bike.

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
mustclime wrote:
rangerdanger2001 wrote:
ehfour wrote:

Pickup a more xc focused wheels and tires and remount the air shock..... go do some climbing.
IMO The only people that should have the right to complain about bike weight have their body fat level at around 2%. Take 10 pounds off your butt before you worry about 2 pounds extra weight on your bike.
yeah well here on the west coast we have some trails with a grade steeper than 10 degrees.... Not going to sacrifice performance for weight. Have fun getting your xc kom with your spandex

Posted: May 6, 2020 at 9:09 Quote
mustclime wrote:
rangerdanger2001 wrote:
ehfour wrote:

Hahah Fair enough, Im in the same boat as you. Thanks for the realworld feedback

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 5:37 Quote
rangerdanger2001 wrote:
mustclime wrote:
rangerdanger2001 wrote:
yeah well here on the west coast we have some trails with a grade steeper than 10 degrees.... Not going to sacrifice performance for weight. Have fun getting your xc kom with your spandex

Guess it’s all in where you ride, I ride in north NJ, southern NY..... you know, where the ice age dumped all the rocks from Canada. Cut a trail and in 6 months it will be nothing but goat head sized rocks. There are no flat trails, you want to go down, you have to climb up. Our trails tend to shock riders from the PNW, you have no idea what a rocky trail is.
The thing I love about the dhx2 is if you think the bike is bobbing on a climb, brake out the 3mm and add a click or 2 on the low speed compression.... no more bobbing and you can still rock crawl your way to the next screaming down hill section.
As for the spandex comments..... tell you what, go out for 2 or 3 or 4 ride hammering up and down trails in your tightie whities....you might realize that bike shorts are not a style statement, they are just a choice to not grind holes in you taint.
Saying the Sentinel is a bad climber is just plain wrong, love this bike.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 21:54 Quote
rangerdanger2001 wrote:
ehfour wrote:

I think it climbs about as good as possible for a 64º ht angle enduro bike. While I don't have cushcore, which happens to be the biggest pain in the ass known to mankind, I have never had any trouble pedaling the sentinel, even over 50 miles/7+ hour rides.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 22:26 Quote
TuckerBikes wrote:
rangerdanger2001 wrote:
ehfour wrote:

I think it climbs about as good as possible for a 64º ht angle enduro bike. While I don't have cushcore, which happens to be the biggest pain in the ass known to mankind, I have never had any trouble pedaling the sentinel, even over 50 miles/7+ hour rides.
lol tbh man I’ve come to find it easier to install tires with cushcore rather than without

Posted: 12 hours ago Quote
I just ordered the aftermarket link from Cascade Components for the V1 Sentinel. It essentially brings the stroke progression very close the V2. I’ll keep you all posted. I’ve been told that the DHX2 standard spring works well by the fellas at Cascade...

As far as climbing, it’s pay to play, fellas. I do most of my riding on the front range of Colorado just west of Denver. The climbs are demanding, but then you get to ride down Smile So you can crush uphill on an XC bike or you can grind up on an Enduro bike and harvest your reward. Alas, I’m also not affluent enough to spend an extra few grand to shed a few bike pounds.

Thanks for the dialogue!

WhoShotYa wrote:
I just ordered the aftermarket link from Cascade Components for the V1 Sentinel. It essentially brings the stroke progression very close the V2. I’ll keep you all posted. I’ve been told that the DHX2 standard spring works well by the fellas at Cascade...

As far as climbing, it’s pay to play, fellas. I do most of my riding on the front range of Colorado just west of Denver. The climbs are demanding, but then you get to ride down Smile So you can crush uphill on an XC bike or you can grind up on an Enduro bike and harvest your reward. Alas, I’m also not affluent enough to spend an extra few grand to shed a few bike pounds.

Thanks for the dialogue!
yeah please do keep us posted, also, are you running the link with a 65mm stroke to make it 158mm or just stock?

For now I’m just going to do standard which increases travel to 146, but w the carbon frame I can go higher.....

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006255
Mobile Version of Website