Backpack discussion thread

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Backpack discussion thread
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 2:49 Quote
So, I'm in the market for a new backpack but (usefull) reviews are not that easy to find apparantly.
I'm using my backpack for full day trips (2-3l water, tools, tire stuff, some energy bars and emergency rain jacket).

I'm currently looking at a Evoc Stage 18l which won best in test in the enduro-mag test: click for test, but I'm looking for more experiences.

My question to you guys:
1. what backpack are you using right now?
2. would you buy it again? If not, what would you buy then?

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 5:48 Quote
I just picked up a Camelbak Skyline 10lr pack. Haven't actually used it yet, but what sold me on it is that it's designed so all the weight (water and contents weight) sits low on your back supported by your hips instead of up high on your back. This is supposed to take the strain of your shoulders and upper back. I hate wearing packs and typically run a stash or swat bib with pockets to carry water and essentials, but they are needed for all day outings. The Skyline is only a 10 L pack with 3L water capacity. But I think that should be plenty to carry everything for an all day ride. If you need more space they do make bigger packs in the same low rider design.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 6:07 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
I just picked up a Camelbak Skyline 10lr pack. Haven't actually used it yet, but what sold me on it is that it's designed so all the weight (water and contents weight) sits low on your back supported by your hips instead of up high on your back. This is supposed to take the strain of your shoulders and upper back. I hate wearing packs and typically run a stash or swat bib with pockets to carry water and essentials, but they are needed for all day outings. The Skyline is only a 10 L pack with 3L water capacity. But I think that should be plenty to carry everything for an all day ride. If you need more space they do make bigger packs in the same low rider design.

I have had the Skyline for 2 seasons and it’s a great pack. Just enough storage to take a repair kit, food, and light jacket if needed. Also has some nice features for storing sunglasses so they don’t get scratched and the helmet clips on the outside of the pack are great.
Having all the water weight low on the back is huge, even when carrying a large amount of water, it doesn’t feel that way. This pack can also be found for insanely cheap on close out.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 11:41 Quote
I used to only use frame bags to avoid having to carry any weight on my back but with the purchase of a Pivot Firebird i have lost the space i had in older bikes. i researched and went with the EVOC hip pack race 3L because of the reviews I read. Its a great bag with amazing ventilation but it still bounces on drops and jumps when fully packed. I did a bit more research and ended up purchasing a USWE Airborn 9. I do not think i will get another bag again. the USWE is by far the most comfortable and best fitting bag I have ridden with. It has a 4 pt harness with tons of fitting options.

TL DR

USWE Airborne series bags are the best(IMO).

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
Love my skyline!

Water weight is carried low and enough space for tools, pump, tube, snacks and a jacket easily.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 15:09 Quote
I run an Osprey Raptor 10. Possibly a bit small for all day rides, but definitely enough for multiple hours. 3L water reservoir and plenty of storage. Weight balance is excellent. After a few minutes you don't even know it's there. Also quite durable. I've landed on my back more than a couple of times and it has withstood the abuse. Super cool separate tool wrap on the bottom as well. I would definitely recommend and buy again.
Cheers.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004551
Mobile Version of Website