AVALANCHE upgrades?

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
AVALANCHE upgrades?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 9:25 Quote
Hey all. reaching out to see if anyone has experience or has a fork with an AVALANCHE damper or coil system, I'm wanting to buy a used YARI and drop the dual coil or air coil hybrid into it for racing. any input is appreciated!

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 7:57 Quote
Here's what I've heard via MTBR and other social media.

The Coil Hybrid is phenomenal. It combines the best attributes of a coil fork with the support and flexibility of air.

The only issues or complaints I've heard about Avalanche are 1) Dealing with Craig's busy schedule and personality - some people like his style, other don't. 2) The damper are typically tuned for soft and softer. Not very poppy. Terrain leveling control, yes, but poppy and playful, no.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Here's what I've heard via MTBR and other social media.

The Coil Hybrid is phenomenal. It combines the best attributes of a coil fork with the support and flexibility of air.

The only issues or complaints I've heard about Avalanche are 1) Dealing with Craig's busy schedule and personality - some people like his style, other don't. 2) The damper are typically tuned for soft and softer. Not very poppy. Terrain leveling control, yes, but poppy and playful, no.

thanks! im gonna think on it a bit more, the coil hybrid is most likely what id install

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
The rad thing about the coil hybrid is that it's one of the few options available that isn't a permanent conversion. Most coil swaps scratch the internal stanchions of the air spring side and as a result will chew through seals of air spring pistons if swapped back to air.

With Avalanche's Coil Hybrid, the damper can be swapped back to the original.

Value/Cost is tricky. If you can find a $300 Yari, the Avy Hybrid at roughly $600 will blow nearly every $900 fork out of the water in terms of performance. It's a lighter conversion than a Smashpot, ASC3 or Z1 Coil.

The downside is that the Hybrid setup can't easily change travel, as Avy tunes the damper for a specific travel lengths. That last part bothered me a bit, because part of resale and versatility is the ability to change travel for different bike setups. My current fork has lasted me through 3 bikes and 3-4 different travel changes.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 10:24 Quote
PHeller wrote:
The rad thing about the coil hybrid is that it's one of the few options available that isn't a permanent conversion. Most coil swaps scratch the internal stanchions of the air spring side and as a result will chew through seals of air spring pistons if swapped back to air.

With Avalanche's Coil Hybrid, the damper can be swapped back to the original.

Value/Cost is tricky. If you can find a $300 Yari, the Avy Hybrid at roughly $600 will blow nearly every $900 fork out of the water in terms of performance. It's a lighter conversion than a Smashpot, ASC3 or Z1 Coil.

The downside is that the Hybrid setup can't easily change travel, as Avy tunes the damper for a specific travel lengths. That last part bothered me a bit, because part of resale and versatility is the ability to change travel for different bike setups. My current fork has lasted me through 3 bikes and 3-4 different travel changes.

that is why im mostly interested is pricing, and its performance, the fact that you can toss it into an older yari or lyrik for 189 USD vs the Vorsprung Smashpot at 315 USD. only bummer is that there is no 170mm options for the Hybrid

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 11:21 Quote
189 for 2nd the spring?

It's $600 for the Hybrid setup. Another $189 for the dual spring setup. Most riders shouldn't need the dual spring setup.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 11:33 Quote
PHeller wrote:
189 for 2nd the spring?

It's $600 for the Hybrid setup. Another $189 for the dual spring setup. Most riders shouldn't need the dual spring setup.

ohhh, i was thinking it was the other way around lol

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 11:55 Quote
$449 for Avalanche Damper
$150 for Hybrid Setup
$189 for Air-Side Coil Conversion
$20 for shipping.

From what I understand, at least. Could be wrong.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
PHeller wrote:
$449 for Avalanche Damper
$150 for Hybrid Setup
$189 for Air-Side Coil Conversion
$20 for shipping.

From what I understand, at least. Could be wrong.

I’ll send Craig an email, the pricing is a bit confusing on the site

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004890
Mobile Version of Website