Weld disc adapter to frame or any good bolt on options?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Weld disc adapter to frame or any good bolt on options?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
I am upgrading my sons hardtail and making it more modern and more downhill worthy. I have the front end sorted already with new fork, xt discs double wall rims and new rubber. I want to add disc in the rear also but it doesnt have the tabs already on the frame for it. Is there any weld on tabs out there for aluminum frames or a good bolt on option that will work with skewers.
Thanks in advance.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 11:35 Quote
Your best bet is a floating disk brake adapter, but without knowing what kind of bike you are dealing with it may not be an option. I had one about 15 years ago on a specialized FSR but can’t say I’ve seen one since.

If the frame is aluminum I would not suggest trying to find someone to weld a mount, very risky as you will likely compromise the frame and would be quite difficult to get the mount properly aligned.

You may need to consider upgrading your frame.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 14:12 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Your best bet is a floating disk brake adapter, but without knowing what kind of bike you are dealing with it may not be an option. I had one about 15 years ago on a specialized FSR but can’t say I’ve seen one since.

If the frame is aluminum I would not suggest trying to find someone to weld a mount, very risky as you will likely compromise the frame and would be quite difficult to get the mount properly aligned.

It's a 2013 giant xtc. It is aluminum. I would weld it myself. I have over 13 years welding experience. I weld and machine spinal surgery instruments as my 9-5 so I'm not intimidated by it.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 14:41 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

It's a 2013 giant xtc. It is aluminum. I would weld it myself. I have over 13 years welding experience. I weld and machine spinal surgery instruments as my 9-5 so I'm not intimidated by it.

Aluminum frames are heat treated and I've always heard that they have to be heat-treated after welding on them, so that might not be a good option.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
Is it an XTC jr frame? If so have you made sure there is clearance for a rotor?

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
It is a jr frame. I will run a 140 rotor. I havent checked clearance yet

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 17:50 Quote
The heat treat is just to normalize the material after welding. Definitely beneficial but not necessary.

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 20:49 Quote
A2z dm uni for an adapter.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 2:28 Quote
You could try a cheap mount adaptor from aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32916864873.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7e457150y8m8Wb&algo_pvid=155bdccf-158b-4db0-ab86-cbaa50b7e0bd&algo_expid=155bdccf-158b-4db0-ab86-cbaa50b7e0bd-3&btsid=2ec29dea-b260-4448-9c95-2e1e388fc35e&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_7,searchweb201603_53

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 18:06 Quote
Install wheel with disc.
Mount the caliber onto a 74 24 IC to post adapter.
Slide the caliber on to the disc.
If lucky the adapter width will be correct to pick up the side of the dropout.
A bolt may even line up on a rack mount hole.
Get a handful of different width old/used adapters, one will get you in the right spot to weld.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 19:21 Quote
There isnt enough room for a rotor and caliper so the rear will stay v brakes. I ordered the microshift 1x9 group instead. Honestly I think its money better spent than the disc in the rear anyways.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004699
Mobile Version of Website