1x11 Cassette: Largest Cog Size You Run? (42T, 46T, 50T...)

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
1x11 Cassette: Largest Cog Size You Run? (42T, 46T, 50T...)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
I am upgrading to 1x11 from 1x10. While riding 1x10, I used an extended range cassette from Sunrace and a 32T front chainring.

I ride mostly northeast area super technical trails that have short and super steep and technical ups, followed by short and technical downs. I hardly pedal on the downhill, if ever. However, this year I am going to make it up to NH and VT more (kingdom trails, etc) where I may need to do some extended climbing up fire roads followed by some fast descents.

I was planning on using a 30T chainring up front and an 11x42T cassette from Sunrace for my 11 sp setup (HG driver hub). When shopping for this cassette, I noticed that there are some options for largest cog on cassette being anywhere from 42T to 52T.

What do you run? What would you recommend for my riding area?

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 13:58 Quote
am-i-back wrote:
I am upgrading to 1x11 from 1x10. While riding 1x10, I used an extended range cassette from Sunrace and a 32T front chainring.

I ride mostly northeast area super technical trails that have short and super steep and technical ups, followed by short and technical downs. I hardly pedal on the downhill, if ever. However, this year I am going to make it up to NH and VT more (kingdom trails, etc) where I may need to do some extended climbing up fire roads followed by some fast descents.

I was planning on using a 30T chainring up front and an 11x42T cassette from Sunrace for my 11 sp setup (HG driver hub). When shopping for this cassette, I noticed that there are some options for largest cog on cassette being anywhere from 42T to 52T.

What do you run? What would you recommend for my riding area?

I literally just did this conversion about 2 weeks ago. I moved from 1x10 to 1x11. I run a 30T oval NW chainring up front and a Sunrace 11-50T 11spd cassette. Deraileur I use is a Shimano SLX medium cage 11spd and a 11spd XT shifter.

It all works flawlessly. Shifting is smooth going both directions. Absolutely love it.

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 16:52 Quote
I have a Sunrace 11-50 with an XT medium cage derailleur, and have run it with a 32T, 36T and 38T chainring.
They all work fine, but it was a bit fiddly initially to get it shifting smooth when using the 38T. Someone on reddit mentioned using a 12 speed chain which definitely helped and all the shifting is now smooth and easy.
The shifting is not as fast as the old XT cassette, but it's certainly good enough.

Definitely works slightly better with the 32T. I use the 38T when I'm using my bike as a "road bike". (its a Scott Spark 940).

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 19:43 Quote
I'm going 30T front ring and Sunrace MX 11sp 11-42T black rear cassette.

Thanks everyone.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004354
Mobile Version of Website