Noob requires help building a budgety midrange 26/27.5

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Noob requires help building a budgety midrange 26/27.5
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
what size frame did you order? how much travel does your Reba have?

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 18:43 Quote
Hooblah wrote:
Thanks!

I'm looking into second hand wheelsets; I've seen previous auctions on ebay for Mavic rims with Hope Pro 2 hubs go for the £100 mark, so i'm going to wait and see what comes up.

I've been looking into handlebars etc. What sort of width, rise, backsweep and upsweep do I want?
The Nukeproof Horizon bars are 780mm in width, and come in 12mm, 25mm and 38mm rise, with a 9 degree backsweep and 6 degree upsweep. No idea if that's any good for me.

I also need to decide on a stem. Again, confused on what length and rise I require?

And then there are integrated handlebar and stems to throw into the mix. Confused once again.

Seatpost backsweep. What's the deal with that?

And how do I know if I require headset spacers?

I would order a pack of Headset spacers from amazon, (the top of the stem or spacers needs to be slightly over the top of the steerer tube, thats when you know to stop adding spacers) or any equivalent online mass retailer that would sell that stuff, regarding the horizon bars, i went with the 25mm rise,(really as long as it doesn't break i'll run it) but regarding the 12mm and 38mm rise, i tend to see the low rise bars on more trail and xc bikes, probably cuz it weights the front wheel more(body weight more over the front), but i could be wrong. I really went with the 25mm cuz i think it doesnt look weird like the 38mm and not flat as heck like the 12mm.
For the stem, i would just hit up ebay or like amazon, nothing fancy, i'd go with like a raceface stem, nothing over $50 though. Stems are pretty hard to mess up, as long as its milled correctly (Husselfelt, Raceface, Truvative) yada yada keep it shorter than 50mm and youll be gr8. I ran a 45 on my last trail bike and my bud runs a 35mm. Shorter stem will make the turning more direct.

Seatpost backsweep, i honestly can't say much about this as i don't know much about it. I just set mine in the middle or run my dropperpost, but i don't pedal much (sorry i couldn't hwlp on theis Frown )

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 19:37 Quote
Back sweep or layback on a seatpost is an option to help optimize riding position. Much like handle bar rise and back sweep, it’s very individual. Generally it can help put your weight over your cranks on certain frame designs. Most modern frames are designed to have no back sweep, that’s partly why dropper posts don’t come with back sweep options

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
what size frame did you order? how much travel does your Reba have?
he said it was extended to its max travel... 130mm

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
what size frame did you order? how much travel does your Reba have?
he said it was extended to its max travel... 130mm

Thanks .. I was just curious about the axle to crown measurement.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 14:00 Quote
Thanks for the continued help guys!

Im trying to keep costs low, but that doesn't mean I'm not investing where it matters. I have in fact gone for chinese carbon bars and seat post, I may even go with a chinese carbon seat if I can work out which one would work best for my boney arse...

I'll most likely go with a 2nd hand set of wheels. I missed out on some pretty lightweight wheels on ebay recently with DT 240 hubs. What's a good price to pay for something like that?


I've also ordered a tool kit that was on offer on chain reaction. There's not much more I need to get now, it will be nice to find out how much it weighs once it's finished Smile

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 14:27 Quote
You are brave man opting for the Chinese carbon bars. Smile

carbon seat... sounds uncomfortable. Not worth a few grams IMO. But to each their own.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 16:21 Quote
Hooblah wrote:
Thanks for the continued help guys!

Im trying to keep costs low, but that doesn't mean I'm not investing where it matters. I have in fact gone for chinese carbon bars and seat post, I may even go with a chinese carbon seat if I can work out which one would work best for my boney arse...

I'll most likely go with a 2nd hand set of wheels. I missed out on some pretty lightweight wheels on ebay recently with DT 240 hubs. What's a good price to pay for something like that?


I've also ordered a tool kit that was on offer on chain reaction. There's not much more I need to get now, it will be nice to find out how much it weighs once it's finished Smile

I would opt for Hope hubs or even shimano hubs. Running dt swiss 240's will earn you a lot of sh*t on the trails once they see the chinese carbon parts. If you really must, the Dt swiss 350's are probably a cheaper alternative. however, any dt swiss hubs are pretty good, same with shimano, cheap and they'll last a while. As for the carbon, you are very brave indeed to try them, my collar bone aches thinking about it. snapped it while going off a 2 ft jump on my xc bike(before i sold the bike). Really not fun, obviously its still your choice, but the price you'll save on those bars isn't worth the potential health costs it may run you, I was off the bike for 7 months and missed the whole riding season because i decided to save $80 on a carbon bar. (There's a reason carbon bars are so expensive)
Best of luck and let us know when you're done with the build Smile

| Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005185
Mobile Version of Website