How To Make Suspension More Playful / Jump-Friendly?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How To Make Suspension More Playful / Jump-Friendly?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 20:03 Quote
I have a '16 Stumpjumper 27.5 w/ Fox Float Evolution CTD 197x47.6 in rear, and Rockshox Revelation 150mm RC3 fork. I live in North Shore MA (north of Boston) where we have very technical, roots, rocks, short burst climbs followed by short, tight, rocky, rollers and drop-to-somewhat-flat downhills. I am 198lb, 6' tall and ride a L frame.

I have owned this bike since new and never touched suspension settings since, well 2016, when I had the shop set up my autosag when sitting on the bike. I've always just kept fork in 3/4 stiffness setting and rear shock in center "trail" mode (unless I inadvertently hit the little blue shock lever when removing my water bottle from cage). Never really bothered paying attention to specifics with suspension. Until now...

I like the idea of having a playful, "poppy", suspension setup that helps boosting off of small features and for making somewhat tame terrain more fun. Currently, my suspension just feels boring and slow. I like to jump off small lips and make the most out of my terrain. My current suspension setup is perfect for faster terrain, which I rarely ride.

I am looking for direction on how to set up my suspension. Any tips? I am thinking faster rebound would help...

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 4:05 Quote
Have you ever had the susp serviced?

Otherwise, a little less rebound damping will help.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 4:59 Quote
On both the fork and shock set both to "open" when setting the bike up.

As Gmoss said firstly I'd try reducing rebound, on the fork first and then the shock.

After that then try adding a little bit more air to the fork and shock, especially if you have the rebound fully open and it feels slow.

Then finally I guess I'd start adding some compression damping via the CTD and LSC.

Do each one, one at a time and test how it feels before moving on. That way you know if it's getting closer or further away from how you want it to feel.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 5:01 Quote
Another thing I've found that makes a bike more "fun" is raising the bars up. Seems to make it easier to hop and unweight the front wheel.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
kiksy wrote:
Another thing I've found that makes a bike more "fun" is raising the bars up. Seems to make it easier to hop and unweight the front wheel.

I've done the riser bar raise and also the short stem -- this has always been my preference.

Just suspension needs now! Thank you for your advice above.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 8:44 Quote
kiksy wrote:

I second this

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 8:56 Quote
I demoed that gen of Stumpjumper and the most prominent feeling I got from that bike was that it simply didnt want to leave the ground. It felt very planted and stable but not at all playful. I think its mainly the geometry.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 10:02 Quote
If you're genuinely saying the suspension has never been touched in 4 years... get it serviced! Also, I'd assume in those 4 years your body composition must have changed? Ie put on weight/ lost weight?
If so, your sag will be way off.

Posted: 6 hours ago Quote
On my Pivot Mach 6 with Fox 34 and X2 I’d run the compression settings full open most of the time. On tight jumpy trails I’d flip the lockout lever on the shock and almost lock out the fork. Gets more POP and connection feel. Helps in tight bermed corners too. Note, on my bike this is not actually fully locked out, just lots of initial resistance. I maintain same 30% sag.

Your CTD (climb, trail, descend) should be played with to see what works for you, same for compression lever on the fork. Experiment with rebound settings. Really light rebound settings will give more POP off jumps, but can kick funny off the jumps and bounce when you land, rather than just settle.

Don’t forget to flip the levers back to open for rooty, rocky trails.

Hope this helps.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004808
Mobile Version of Website