Cheap bike for basic MTB trail skills

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Cheap bike for basic MTB trail skills
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 9:31 Quote
I have been riding MTB (enduro) for about a year now and am looking to improve some of my basic trail skills, like bunny hops, manuals, trackstands, and wheelies. As I recently moved place and I can't bring my enduro bike with me during weekdays, I was thinking of picking up a cheap trials, dirt jump, or xc bike to practice the skills on.

Just wondering what would be the best bike to learn these skills on? I'm looking for a bike that's quick to learn on and also transfer over to the enduro bike for the weekends and races.

Anyone have any advice on what bikes would be good to go for?

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 11:14 Quote
I chose a 27.5+ agressive hardtail with short chainstays for the same purpose, I'm happy with it. I guess you want something with short chainstays for the fun factor, the ease of handling, wheeling etc., and not too big wheels (ie, not 29) for jump capabilities. Apart from that, it's quite open. It certainly doesn't have to be fast or fancy. What you want is a funny bike on which you feel good, that feels easy, natural to play with. That's what will really matter finally: the smile on your face while practicing on it.

And regarding the skills transfer concern, this way it is also not too different from the enduro 27.5 or 29 bike Wink

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 2:29 Quote
For exactly the same reason I just bought a 26" dirt jumper. Very near to me is also a pump track, skate park some dirt jumps and bmx track, so dirt jumper made sense. It is great!

Except for wheelies. I already learned those on my big enduro bike.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 11:36 Quote
s-master wrote:
For exactly the same reason I just bought a 26" dirt jumper. Very near to me is also a pump track, skate park some dirt jumps and bmx track, so dirt jumper made sense. It is great!

Except for wheelies. I already learned those on my big enduro bike.
I second that.
I have my enduro/trail bike and also my dirt jump / pump track / BMX track bike.

Get a single speed 26” low slung bike. I have a rigid fork on mine, but a strong, short travel air fork is a great choice.

A rigid fork will help you more to be smooth and is more efficient on pump tracks and cheaper.

Buy a $300 used one off Craigslist or here.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004471
Mobile Version of Website