Madonna V2 vs Ripmo AF vs Meta AM - any others I should consider?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Madonna V2 vs Ripmo AF vs Meta AM - any others I should consider?
  • Previous Page
O+ FL
Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 14:11 Quote
Looking for a beefier aluminum enduro-ish 29er to handle some park, some racing (not going to be reaching to podium, just looking to push myself), and some trail riding. I do very little, if any XC as most of the trails around me are long ups followed by long downs.

I'm currently on a 2016 Remedy and looking for something that handles downhills a little better.

I'm a big guy 6'3"/191 cm, 230lbs/105kg with long legs.

Are there any other bikes I should be considering?

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
The Madonna is a great choice. Also consider the Privateer 161 or, if the budget allows, Nicolai makes a great product and you'll find more than enough length for a tall guy like yourself.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
The Madonna is a great choice. Also consider the Privateer 161 or, if the budget allows, Nicolai makes a great product and you'll find more than enough length for a tall guy like yourself.

@R-M-R Thanks! The Privateer looks sick!

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 12:31 Quote
I recommended it to a a friend, who will soon have the first one in Canada. I think I'm more excited than he is!

The Privateer is made in the same factory used by Raaw and Bird. The Madonna is a great bike, but Privateer and Bird are also great bikes at much lower pricing.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 13:08 Quote
Madonna looks very well thought out. There’s some pet peeves I have with the Meta that don’t seem to exist on the Madonna. Rides amazing though.

FL
Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 15:54 Quote
Any interest in steel frames?

https://ferrumbikes.com/

I haven't been able to get it out for a proper ride yet but the few pedals on the street in the evening its pretty nice to ride so far. Ill have a proper review once the weather warms up and snow melts. I feel that you get pretty good value for the frameset with lifetime warranty.

Good luck on your search.

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 16:21 Quote
russellherman wrote:

I haven't been able to get it out for a proper ride yet but the few pedals on the street in the evening its pretty nice to ride so far. Ill have a proper review once the weather warms up and snow melts. I feel that you get pretty good value for the frameset with lifetime warranty.

Bears quite a resemblance to Marino.

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 17:43 Quote
I'm a very similar body size to you and was in the same shopping boat until recently. My top 3 contenders were the Privateer 161, Madonna V2 and the Banshee Titan. I also considered the Bird Aeris AM9. I went with the Madonna because of the possible length of seatpost insertion and the rocker link tuned for heavier riders. Also it looks pretty slick. The other factors like geometry and quality of the frame seem to be fairly similar between those (i.e. they will take a beating.

Pole makes big metal bikes too though their prices make the Madonna look like a bargain.

FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
russellherman wrote:

Bears quite a resemblance to Marino.

I was actually going to buy a Marino before I found these guys. I was pretty much ready to place the order with him but I really liked the idea of the frameset rather than buying everything separate and piecing it together myself.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
Upduro wrote:
Madonna looks very well thought out. There’s some pet peeves I have with the Meta that don’t seem to exist on the Madonna. Rides amazing though.

What are the pet peeves you have with it?

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 12:34 Quote
gafoto wrote:
I'm a very similar body size to you and was in the same shopping boat until recently. My top 3 contenders were the Privateer 161, Madonna V2 and the Banshee Titan. I also considered the Bird Aeris AM9. I went with the Madonna because of the possible length of seatpost insertion and the rocker link tuned for heavier riders. Also it looks pretty slick. The other factors like geometry and quality of the frame seem to be fairly similar between those (i.e. they will take a beating.

Pole makes big metal bikes too though their prices make the Madonna look like a bargain.

I love that Raaw made the big guy rocker - which is a definite selling point. I also feel like I need to include the 2020 Norco Sight in my search as the geo is pretty close and the pricing is incredible (for the aluminium version).

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 12:35 Quote
russellherman wrote:

Thanks! Not looking at steel for now - I feel like there are enough options on deck for me in the aluminium space that it's hard enough to choose without adding a wildcard to the mix.

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 13:12 Quote
jordanredshaw wrote:
Upduro wrote:

Mounting a chainguide is tricky with the cable routing, brake mount angle makes it so you have to bend the rear brake line weirdly if you use certain Shimano brakes, chainstay protector isn’t really clamped on tight so a bit of sand can get captured under it and it also acts as the guide for the shifter cable without any additional fastening. Would have preferred a zip ties for the cable and a glued on protector or something here, but it’s not really a problem unless you take it off all the time. It’s just tiny things that work with the stock setup but can get iffy if you want to change anything.

Stock headset has pressed in bearings so if you want to switch the bearings you have to switch the whole headset. Makes cleaning them a pita too.

Rest of the bike is fantastic though.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 15:11 Quote
Upduro wrote:
jordanredshaw wrote:
Upduro wrote:

Mounting a chainguide is tricky with the cable routing, brake mount angle makes it so you have to bend the rear brake line weirdly if you use certain Shimano brakes, chainstay protector isn’t really clamped on tight so a bit of sand can get captured under it and it also acts as the guide for the shifter cable without any additional fastening. Would have preferred a zip ties for the cable and a glued on protector or something here, but it’s not really a problem unless you take it off all the time. It’s just tiny things that work with the stock setup but can get iffy if you want to change anything.

Stock headset has pressed in bearings so if you want to switch the bearings you have to switch the whole headset. Makes cleaning them a pita too.

Rest of the bike is fantastic though.

Thanks for the intel - much appreciated!

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 16:21 Quote
YT Capra...
I ride a Jeffsy and im 230lbs and friends ride the capra that love it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009638
Mobile Version of Website