recommend me a commuter bike/frame

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
recommend me a commuter bike/frame
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 8:25 Quote
currently commute on a 10 year old road bike, its fast and efficient obviously, but its the bike I ride 90% of my time. Back when i commuted on a mountain bike id get to the trails and hit things without thinking, but the road bike has sapped some of that skill away and made me more hesistant on the trail. So I'm looking for a bike thats as close to a bmx as I can whilst still being a full size bike that wouldnt look out of place with 40mm commuter tyres, to have a bit more fun on the ride to college, any suggestions or am i just gonna need to do a bit of back and forthing with the local recyclery?

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 8:34 Quote
Not entirely clear on what you want, so general advice:

You can take any hardtail and put on fat slicks or XC semi-slicks, maybe a rigid fork, and you have something not too far from an oversized BMX.

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Not entirely clear on what you want, so general advice:

You can take any hardtail and put on fat slicks or XC semi-slicks, maybe a rigid fork, and you have something not too far from an oversized BMX.

agreed, but most mountain bikes, the internal rim width will be too much to put 40mm road slicks on, so you would just have to use slicks or semi's or whatever. As for bike, Like RMR said, any hardtail will do, even something like that cheap thing from diamondback, the Hook. that, you could take on some pretty good trails too.

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 19:52 Quote
Not at all! Road bikes are now recommending 20 mm - or even wider - for 28ish mm tires. Find a mountain rim around 25 mm or less and you're good to go.

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 8:04 Quote
A 29er HT would be an option.
Or if you're really looking for that BMX style.
Surly Lowsider.

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 0:32 Quote
Tjomball wrote:
A 29er HT would be an option.
Or if you're really looking for that BMX style.
Surly Lowsider.

That is the coolest bike surly has ever made. And, exactly what the OP wanted

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 6:15 Quote
I built up a cannondale bad boy. It's a pretty fun bike. Threw better brakes, gravel tires and a 1x drivetrain on it

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004497
Mobile Version of Website