Kids bikes

PB Forum :: Beginners
Kids bikes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
Any suggestions from experienced parents for my 3 year old to transition from a strider bike to a pedal bike? Brands, sizes, training wheels or not etc.

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
When my son got his pedal bike I went with a norco that had 12" wheels,same size as his run bike. My son didnt like the idea of pedals at first he just wanted to use his feet. We didn't keep the training wheels because he had been on the run bike for 2 yrs and was comfortable on offroad trails and bike paths. Just go to your favorite/ closet bike shop and see what they have or can get for your child. Not a lot of selection when they are that young the bikes are almost too big for them, might need to keep them on the run bike for another year. But good luck

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 8:18 Quote
Sjohn5 wrote:
Any suggestions from experienced parents for my 3 year old to transition from a strider bike to a pedal bike? Brands, sizes, training wheels or not etc.

At age 4 we went from 12ā€ strider (trek) to a 16 specialized (27 pounds!!!) for about a weekend before doing what I should have done in the first place and got a 16ā€ spawn yoji (16 pounds,!!!)

It was a night and day improvement ... the weight makes all of the difference. Iā€™m honestly happier with that purchase than nearly any of my own bike purchases!!

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 20:28 Quote
We just went from a 12" strider to a 14" Norco roller ( key is the roller not coaster) and she's biking around no problem and using hand brakes. The coaster has a back pedal brake and the roller does not which is a huge difference for them learning. I didn't like the rocky mountain 14 because it only had a hand back brake and still had the back pedal brake for more money. Commencal Ramones was the next choice but the thing that deterred me was the shipping cost ( wanted to buy two bikes a 14 and a 20 and they still wanted full shipping cost on each bike.) And the fact it was 100$ more. Tires on the 14" Norco roller are good. The geometry is nice. My daughter is tall and lanky but she's not too upright like the department store brands. 16 is to big for her still. I didn't want the bike to control her. I wanted her to control the bike. She just did a 6km ride today on her own

Posted: Apr 27, 2020 at 5:16 Quote
Our 2.5 year old transitioned from a strider to a Cleary Gecko (12" wheels). It seems like a well built bike. The hand brake is taking a bit more time to master.

If she was taller we may have considered a bike with 14" wheels. If you scour the internet you can find minimum seat heights for various child specific brands.

I do recommend going with a child specific brand. Not all 12/14" bikes are created equal. The geometry of some of the department store bikes makes me cringe a bit (though, kids will find a way to ride anything ????).

There is no need for training wheels in my opinion. Our daughter started by scooting around on the Cleary gecko (after a bunch of time on the strider). Soon she was putting her feet on the pedals. Next, she started rocking the pedals back and forth, until one day she started doing full rotations. The nice thing about the balance bike training is that she automatically puts her feet down to about crashes.

Posted: Apr 27, 2020 at 8:00 Quote
I noticed that you live in the San Diego area. I believe some of the kids specific bike brands (e.g., Prevelo) may be reletively local for you. You may want to make a field trip to check them out.

BTW: I think Cleary is based in San Francisco area.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005464
Mobile Version of Website