29er Trail Bike: What to Buy?

PB Forum :: 29ers
29er Trail Bike: What to Buy?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 2, 2020 at 20:34 Quote
Hi guys,

I’ve been debating for awhile now over a new, full suspension, 29er trail bike and I can’t decide what to get. So I’m here to ask for advice.

I’ve had a Fuji Nevada 29er for awhile now but want something more suited for some technical descents. I’m a 6’3” 210 lbs college athlete, and a hardtail with no dropper post is getting a little old on some techy NorCal downhills...

Looking to spend not much over $2,000. I’ve had my eye on the Trek Fuel EX 5 for awhile, but wanted to consult with people who probably know a bit better than me. My family all has Specialized bikes too, but so far all the new ones are out of stock in a L or XL frame size in my area and online.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 10:34 Quote
I have the Trek Fuel ex 5 and it's an awesome bike. I am 6'6" 250lbs so opted for the XXL, 23 inch frame and it's a perfect fit. Very capable bike and has handled all the red trails I have thrown at it begging for more.

photo

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 12:58 Quote
If you are looking for options, You would be hard pressed to find better value for the money than this Base Model YT Jeffsy. They have it in stock in two different colors in XL and XXL.

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/2356/sCategory/511

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 11:41 Quote
I’d check out the Giant Trance 29er. I love mine and even the lower end aluminum model is still pretty well spec’d

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 at 7:28 Quote
Just picked up a 2020 Specialized stumpjumper St alloy. Coming off a light hard tail this bike does everything but better then the hard tail. Fox suspension is great & the price wasn't to bad.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
I just got a 2018 trek fuel ex 7, absolutely love it. It climbs extremely well and just feels like it wants you to push it faster going downhill. Really nice bike, you won't regret buying one. I was in the same boat you were, 210lbs riding a trek stache 29er hard tail with no dropper. The fuel is amazing coming from that. I got mine for $1300 off of craigslist barely used, spent the money I saved on a gx eagle 12spd drivetrain and a bunch of other upgrades.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 18:48 Quote
I always recommend my buddies that are still newer to riding and looking to dip into the big boy stuff, look for a slightly used, but well kept bike. Example I just picked up a mint, very slightly used Trek Fuel EX 9.8 for my wife for $2200. All carbon, full XT etc. Especially in this economy, you never know what offer people might accept.

Second thought, unless you're focusing on XC or racing, at your weight/age/build, I'd skip over the 'trail' bikes like the Trek Fuel EX/Scott Spark, and skip right to beefier trail or enduro rigs. I started out with ~120mm trail bikes at pretty much your build, and found they are simply too noodley for aggressive big guys. Stick to the 140-160mm bikes, but that are built beefy to handle it.

Thirdly, I'd consider the mail order bikes to get the best bank for your buck. Here are a couple great options to start (many more out there):
1. Vitus Sommet CRS (carbon frame, Lyric, SRAM GX for $2479). Insane value. Just insane.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/vitus-sommet-crs-mountain-bike-gx-eagle-2019/rp-prod179053?mx01=a&utm_referrer=minicarttest&utm_expid=minicarttest
2. Canyon Neuron - similar to the Trek Fuel, but much better spec for the price. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/neuron/neuron-al-7.0/2550.html?dwvar_2550_pv_rahmenfarbe=GY%2FBK&dwvar_2550_pv_rahmengroesse=M

Posted: Apr 27, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
Bought a 2020 Norco Fluid1 ht xl 29er
It was $2000 Canadian. Comes with sram eagle, Rock Shox Sektor 120mm, Dropper post, 29×2.6

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 0:05 Quote
r3tr0-rac3r wrote:
I have the Trek Fuel ex 5 and it's an awesome bike. I am 6'6" 250lbs so opted for the XXL, 23 inch frame and it's a perfect fit. Very capable bike and has handled all the red trails I have thrown at it begging for more.

photo
Thanks for using feet. I don't understand metric very well. I am also a pretty tall dude and I have found a XXL on Treks to fit me very well.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 0:07 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
I’d check out the Giant Trance 29er. I love mine and even the lower end aluminum model is still pretty well spec’d
One of my buddys that I ride with just got one and he really likes it. He thinks its pretty darn good bang for your buck.

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
I just picked up a Cube Stereo 120 HPC TM 29 this week and I've been blown away by how nice it rides. It was the best deal I could find on paper for a Carbon frame and spec level and it rides like a real trail rocket. I am slightly apprehensive about having to deal with a European distributor and brand if I have warranty issues though. Also they seem to be mostly out of stock where I got mine on Chain Reaction.

I built up a custom Cannondale Trigger frame I got for free as frame replacement last year. I found deals on really good parts but was a bit disappointed when they sent me a large frame instead of an XL, but I figured I could get by with a slightly smaller frame ok. After I bit I began toi suspect I was wrong as I could never really feel stable on that bike. I managed to sell it and getting on the XL has been better then I could ever have imagined.

I also moved from 27.5s to 29s and 150/145 to 130/120 travel. It's a little bit tricky to assess how much difference each change has made when I'm certain just being on a properly fit bike is the biggest factor, but: The knobby nics on the 29ers seem to just roll over slippery rocks, roots, and logs that the 27.5 onza aquilas were sliding and slipping on.

I think the shorter travel was a good move for me. Theres really not enough high speed chunk on the trails I ride here in NWA normally to need any more and I've seen people hit the giant road gaps on hard tails. Maybe I'l be missing the travel if I hit the shuttled trails in Eureka or Buffalo outdoor center but I'm feeling pretty good so far.

The one down grade taht I'm regretting a bit is going from a DVO diamond to a Fox 34. The OTT on the dvo seems to have really worked well for my 230lbs. I'm feeling way more small bump chatter then I was before. I probably will see if I can see if I can sell the 34 and pick up a Sapphire when my budget can afford the difference.

Anyway that is my rambling new 29er trail bike experience. Just hoping to share a little while I wait for the trails to dry up a little bit.

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 11:20 Quote
sdettlinger wrote:
Hi guys,

I’ve been debating for awhile now over a new, full suspension, 29er trail bike and I can’t decide what to get. So I’m here to ask for advice.

I’ve had a Fuji Nevada 29er for awhile now but want something more suited for some technical descents. I’m a 6’3” 210 lbs college athlete, and a hardtail with no dropper post is getting a little old on some techy NorCal downhills...

Looking to spend not much over $2,000. I’ve had my eye on the Trek Fuel EX 5 for awhile, but wanted to consult with people who probably know a bit better than me. My family all has Specialized bikes too, but so far all the new ones are out of stock in a L or XL frame size in my area and online.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

First few comments in this thread more or less cover the small, modern gamut here. YT jeffsy (if you can stomach waiting for a few months for availability) or trance 29, which should be immediately available just about wherever. I'm a big proponent of the entry level full sus mtb's coming from a brick&mortar shop for warranty, free build, and (sometimes) some free service as well. You should get lifetime on the frame, 2 years on the wheels, with a weight limit of 275 - giant's great about warranty and crash replacement as well.

If you want a short travel, trail 29er, *new* can be your best bang for the buck. The buy/sell on here has never looked worse IMO, might just be that everyone's looking to get a bike, and those who *have* to sell for $$$ now are trying to get maximum dollar.

The fuel ex5 fork is categorically worse than the Yari on the Jeffsy or the marzocchi on the trance. It also has a 1x10 deore system, which really isn't any better than SX in terms of shifting performance. Having that extra low range on the 12spd systems on the trance&jeffsy will help you out on the climbs.
I can attest to the trance 29 being quite good, as I've ridden 4 different setups for a week plus, and built more than a few. The downsides are the noisy damper in the fork, shifter performance and the skinny ID of the rims. The ID of the rims are the only relative downside I can see when you're putting this up against other bikes at that price point. The frame/fork has clearance for 2.6 tires on it, but those rims aren't going to like 2.5WT or similar in terms of knob profile. The 115mm of travel on the trance is a non-issue IMO, especially given your terrain - and the fact that YT rounds up their travel figures by 5-10mm on several of their models. Speaking generally, specialized has suspension set up for lighter riders, and trek's trail bikes feel like they have a bit less travel than advertised, so I'd put all the aforementioned rigs in the same shopping category for you.

On the trance, the important things - frame - suspension - geometry - are all quite nice and good to go for a long time. Even those wintek-based droppers are dead reliable. Trance 29 3 *is* the value to beat in the 2k price point this year, for sure. Seat angle could be a hair steeper, rims could be a hair wider, and that's about it compared to what's separating it from the super progressive options on the market.

If you wanted upgrades, a wider/stronger wheelset+wider tires, as needed, would be good at your weight and as you're beginning to smash through some more technical descents. An x01 chain for infinitely longer chain life, GX shifter for shifter placement/better feel, sintered pads and upgraded rotors (not the 10$, resin-pad-only bs that comes on ALL the bikes you're looking at) would make the short list as well.

Benefits of the jeffsy - the wheelset on the jeffsy is actually quite good for how you'd be using it; it's just that between the wait time, added couple hundred bucks and not having a brick&mortar shop for you to complain to, and help you out with initial setup - trance is worth the look here. Hop on giant's website and see if anyone has some sizes available around you to toss a leg over and check out the sizing. Or, look at reviews. The forum will give you largely anecdotal evidence, at best. Parts lists, reputable reviews, and company reputation should definitely be weighed more for you at this point. Pinkbike, NSMB, enduro-mtb mag, and a few other large outlets have reviewed the trance 29 and the jeffsy. Demo rides, test rides, and keeping yourself honest in terms of how technical the average ride you're taking really is will help keep you confident in your eventual decision as well.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
Agreed, it’s a good bike. It’s a lot lighter than the beast Jeffsy.

O+ FL
Posted: May 21, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
I'm 6'4 and 260lbs. just bought a StumpJumper ST Alloy, and love it. I rode a hardtail last year and this bike is night and day compared to it. not to pricey either.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 9:29 Quote
There is always the Ibis Ripmo AF for just under $3000, in the slightly longer travel category.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015758
Mobile Version of Website