Have you ever found anything weird while digging?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Have you ever found anything weird while digging?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 5:00 Quote
I dig an an area where murders have taken place, and murder victims have been dumped. So each time I push in my shovel I know it's improbable, but not impossible that I might recover something buried that was supposed to stay buried. And when you think about it, what we're doing is pretty odd. We go off of existing trails, in remote areas, and actually dig in the ground, possible where no one has ever dug before.The worst part would be actually finding something, then having to explain how you found it.
I read an article saying that this canyon is one of the first dark, isolated places you could reach if you left the Denver/Boulder metro area. So, that kind of makes sense, simple logistics apply to everything, even dumping bodies. I made a blog post about it https://w.3cogblog.com/but this isn't a trick to get readers, I'm genuinely interested in your experiences or any tales you've heard. Surely every city has their version of the dark place that's easy to get to. And I did try searching the old posts, but didn't see anything.

So, ever find anything?

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 6:03 Quote
Found a couple of knives, old fencing, huge stone blocks but I can never find that one shovel I lost...

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 7:13 Quote
exumed this zombie bike while diggin
This and, I used to have dreams about finding really random stuff while digging, like statues an all kinds of random things

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
That's awesome, I knew a guy who had a bike like that!!

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 10:52 Quote
Living in an area where major world war 1 battle has been fought, plenty of those (its an old photo):
Most are italian 70/75mm rounds, I have also found 105mm (its been lying right next to a trail) and 150mm pieces (found this one by chance while walking the dog). Right now I know of 3 pieces pretty much safely stashed around the trails, I'm planing on calling bomb squad in the next weeks to come and pick them up. You might think its completely insane to be finding actual bombs around the trails but that is just a reality here, local bomb squad collect several hundred pieces each year and the war ended more than 102 year ago... The truth is that there is pretty much zero probability of them going off as they already failed back then and being exposed to rain and humidty for 100 years pretty much drained all of the gunpowder... They are still bombs though so we treat them as such and they will be carried away and disposed by trained professionals... Oh and a construction work in an area not far from our XCO track revealed 305mm bomb past weekend, Here is what this looks like if anyone wants to know

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 14:08 Quote
Whoa!! Thanks Winko, now we're talkin.' That is CRAZY. I am so sorry you guys are still dealing with old ordinance left over from the time our great great grandfathers were all trying to kill each other.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 3:35 Quote
I find fossils from the Carboniferous period 359-299 million years ago, these are lycopod tree roots!
Lycopod fossil
Lycopod fossil

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 10:28 Quote
Once found a large zip lock bag full of spent bullet casings, should add that the army also carry out training manovers where I was building.Left them there and they were gone next time I was back.Reckon some soldier decided to sneakily lighten his pack!

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 2:21 Quote
I find a lot of fossils, also find lots of old worked flints, arrow heads, scrapers etc, some times bullets from 2nd world war firing range near our trails.

Few months ago deep in the woods I found a bank invoice/reciept from the 1920's, strangest things were one, that it was totally dry and not water damaged, and second that it was from a german bank for a Swiss customer ( i'm in the UK ), it was just laying on the floor in a bit of the woods very few people would go to, I was a long way from any trail etc trying to scout new lines to build.

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 8:06 Quote
I live next to the CT river so when it floods crap washes up every spring. People used to dump all kinds of stuff around where I build my trails, so I find the standard glass, bottles, cans, etc.

Ive found a toilet and 2 or 3 box springs and mattresses.

Every time I go down to build I get 1 step closer to building my first car, there's a Ford V8 engine, car tires still on rims, headlights, oil filters other small rusted parts.

I found an antique cap gun, 80s action figures, die cast millennium falcon, a toy tank, vinyl records, hotwheels cars

My favorite thing I found was an old hatchet head I dug up while building a drop. I polished and sharpened the head. I made a handle and now I use it to build trails.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
I found a pair of torn-up jeans on the ground when I was building my trails. Just sitting right there on the ground. They were super mossy and gross. My trails are also next to the road and there's shrooms growing in our property so a lot of times we see people scoping out the woods from the road. Yikes. Back when my mom lived on this property as a kid, people would sneak into our fields at night and pick shrooms.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 17:33 Quote
Been digging a lot lately while being stuck at home (wish it would stop raining and turning everything steep into mud) and pretty much everywhere I've been digging this one dh/fr line there's more or less an entire burned forest buried about a foot deep. It's pretty wild... and super irritating to constantly hit black, crumbly logs everywhere I put the shovel.

If I ever get around to making a thread I'll have to get some pictures.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008874
Mobile Version of Website