Are major companies planning to eliminate 27.5'' wheels?

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Are major companies planning to eliminate 27.5'' wheels?
Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
I think you will see 27.5 inch models for smaller frame sizes and for plenty of enduro / downhill bikes (plus mullet options). 29ers will continue to take over general trail bike category for Medium sizes or larger. The industry is big enough to make bikes with both wheel sizes and manufacturers are still launching modern geo 27.5 inch wheel frames. It was interesting to see that over 60% of bikes where 27.5 inch wheels on Whistler's opening day.

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 6:18 Quote
The Canyon Torque is a 27.5” long travel bike and I was just reading about the Transitions Spire? I think, or maybe the Patrol? One of those two was released for 2021 as a mullet bike and they’re not the only company to do that. I know of a couple mullets coming out this year and while that may prove to be a bit of a fad that washes up and fades away I personally don’t see 27.5 going anywhere.

In fact, I’m surprised that the dirt jumpers haven’t all gone to 27.5. I look, often, to see if there are any out there (DJ’s), cause It seems to me that it’s the 26” wheel and tire that will go extinct. I mean, if anything was to die off, my money would be on the 26”, 27.5” is the perfect evolution to what 26” was for so many eons (decades).

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 9:54 Quote
Give things a few more years and there will be yet another standard to cause confusion and stimulate new bike sales.
We have had
26"
29"
27.5/650B
29" reinvigorated....

Then add in the hub spacing and axle types all alleging more stiffness etc.
Plus sized tyres
There will probably be another increase hub spacing to go with wider rims as this fits the fashion for every larger tyres. I would not be surprised if we do not see smaller wheel, just not 26" (too convenient) as bikes will eventually get shorter again as they are required to be more nimble.

So will 27.5 be abandoned, probably yes. Will 26 go the same way? probably not overall but it is mostly dead in decent MTBs designed for use in Western markets. The link between 700C & 29" makes that a more obvious standard but are the different use cases really leading to crossover in parts?

The longer, lower, slacker can only go so far and increasingly reviews are commenting on them not being suitable for more twisty trails. Then you have the weight increases. Everything is getting bigger and burlier with 160mm travel seen as entry level for many.

Developments will happen, that is the nature of the sport however the manufacturers have a vested interest in selling new bikes and ensuring that old models are seen to be inferior, inadequate or unfashionable.

As genuine questions, can the average rider really tell:
That a new frame is x% stiffer?
A 35mm, or 36mm fork is stiffer?
A 2mm or 3mm difference in chainstay length?
And so on.

I don't believe I can as I am not a good enough rider. In my music I can tell very subtle differences when playing various instruments, even examples of same model (most professional French horns are hand made). But I play at professional level.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 0:53 Quote
n77087 wrote:
The Canyon Torque is a 27.5” long travel bike and I was just reading about the Transitions Spire? I think, or maybe the Patrol? One of those two was released for 2021 as a mullet bike and they’re not the only company to do that. I know of a couple mullets coming out this year and while that may prove to be a bit of a fad that washes up and fades away I personally don’t see 27.5 going anywhere.

In fact, I’m surprised that the dirt jumpers haven’t all gone to 27.5. I look, often, to see if there are any out there (DJ’s), cause It seems to me that it’s the 26” wheel and tire that will go extinct. I mean, if anything was to die off, my money would be on the 26”, 27.5” is the perfect evolution to what 26” was for so many eons (decades).

Patrol, originally a 650b long travel bike but from now onwards it’s a mullet only bike.

The Spire was introduced to be the ‘old’ Patrol’s 29er equivalent. To me the writing on the wall is they’ll keep the mullet Patrol around to appease the 650b crowd but the second the demand for that style of bike drops (again) they’ll probably drop the Patrol all together since they now have a 29er to suit every travel requirement.

FL
Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 5:18 Quote
n77087 wrote:

Do you ride DJ? there is no reason for DJ to go 27.5 at all! 26 will allways be lighter, stiffer, stronger an have less gyroscopic effect. Ive only seen one 27 DJ bike an that was a custom frame for a 6'6" rider.
4X too, 26 wil allways out excellerate any mtb wheel size.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
Funny, I'm still riding 26" and was thinking that if/when I upgrade to a new bike I'd go 27.5/650b to have more parts compatibility with my gravel bike. Guess that might not be an option.

Oh, and for those who don't think the industry works together to push simplification and standardization of parts you haven't watched what's going on with the rim brake / disc brake situation on the road racing side of things.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 at 16:11 Quote
aside from the mullet trend (I love that that is rider driven, I must admit, and it makes more sense to me than big wheels on both ends) will be the rebirth of 27.5. And much to the delight of manufacturers as so many then go back to smaller wheels.

Are 29ers so much different/better that they have taken over the market? Heck no.

People can say their priority is riding and they think it is. But what is taking the most of their time is online content = marketing and bullshit. If anyone thinks 29ers have remade the bicycle to the degree that sales trends indicate they have, you're a fool. Humans mostly shop. They are online too much. We need to ride more and work less and buy less shit because it's so unecessary.

Sorry if that's incoherent blather. I've spent years on 29ers. I really do believe 27.5 is a better wheelsize for mtb. I love the smaller, tighter bike. The way I see it is there is just not a big enough difference between 27.5 and 29 that, given the choice and having spent the time I have on 29ers, I'll take the bad ass 27.5 wheels for now. Besides, my roadies have 29" wheels. I mean 700c.

And that makes me laugh a bit because isn't it kind of backwards that we are being sold 29 for off road and 650b for gravel? How does that make sense?....really think about it. Let's be smarter and recognize when we're being duped, because it's pretty obvious.

Posted: Sep 4, 2021 at 1:24 Quote
rexluthor

This is my feeling as well. The mountain bike market is mature to you have to generate sales and that means that things have to change. There will always be some benefits to the changes but never as much as the marketing suggests. The brands need to sell bikes and given that within reason the frames don't wear out, you have to create change.
Yes you do reach a point where it is cheaper to buy a new bike rather than replace parts or upgrade but that is an insignificant turnover to what we have. You only have to look at the numbers of second hand bikes as year or two old to realise how many people are buying new.

I also simply don't believe that most people are able to benefit from changes like 5% stiffer, 0.5 deg slacker etc. We are just not riding at the levels to determine that. The bike feels different and then there is the new bike syndrome.

start-rant>
From a very practical view we are reaching the point where many of the 29" long bikes are so big they are not really fitting on the rear-mounted towbar carriers (certainly European cars) because the overhang outside the width of the vehicle is so great. They are also getting heaver to lifting onto roof bars is challenging. Now these are not reasons to prevent change but most people do not cycle from their back door. They travel and then ride. For those lucky enough to have a van then great but there are many who cannot do that.
/end-rant>

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 15:59 Quote
rexluthor wrote:
aside from the mullet trend (I love that that is rider driven, I must admit, and it makes more sense to me than big wheels on both ends) will be the rebirth of 27.5. And much to the delight of manufacturers as so many then go back to smaller wheels.

Are 29ers so much different/better that they have taken over the market? Heck no.

People can say their priority is riding and they think it is. But what is taking the most of their time is online content = marketing and bullshit. If anyone thinks 29ers have remade the bicycle to the degree that sales trends indicate they have, you're a fool. Humans mostly shop. They are online too much. We need to ride more and work less and buy less shit because it's so unecessary.

Sorry if that's incoherent blather. I've spent years on 29ers. I really do believe 27.5 is a better wheelsize for mtb. I love the smaller, tighter bike. The way I see it is there is just not a big enough difference between 27.5 and 29 that, given the choice and having spent the time I have on 29ers, I'll take the bad ass 27.5 wheels for now. Besides, my roadies have 29" wheels. I mean 700c.

And that makes me laugh a bit because isn't it kind of backwards that we are being sold 29 for off road and 650b for gravel?
How does that make sense?....really think about it. Let's be smarter and recognize when we're being duped, because it's pretty obvious.

From what I've been seeing they are pushing 700c/29 for gravel as well. Russ on the Path Less Pedaled has vlogged on this and bikepacking seems to focus a lot on 700c / 29er mountain bike platforms for bikepacking. Look at all of the 50mm 700c gravel tires that are coming out and the 700c gravel frames with spacing for 50mm. I'm really starting to feel that people who suggest that the bike industry is run by a bunch of tall guys who design and manufacture bikes for themselves and elite athletes and don't really care about the smaller rider / recreational rider are right.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 5:28 Quote
I see lots of 27.5 from Kona, surly and have a Jamis Dragonslayer pro 27.5+.
Looks like the 'fun' manufacturers see their value and have a big following

I think they mate well to plus size.

Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 17:26 Quote
Hard to believe we are talking about phasing out the 27.5”. I don’t see it happening for many years for various reasons. The 26 “ is sticking around for kids and for specific purposes like dirt jumping. I shake my head at those folks trying to sell their 26” bikes for thousands of dollars and wondering why they are not selling even with a bike shortage. Yet they maintain their outrageously high price. Folks…The bus left long ago! Smell the coffee! The ship has sailed!

FL
Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 19:34 Quote
Nah
Personally
I will NOT be buying a new bike bike until 26 comes back. 29 handles like shit an while 27 is better it still jumps like shit. My only option at the mo is a Banshee or a custom made, like a BTR

Posted: Jan 2, 2022 at 13:50 Quote
nah I used to shred a dj but for xmas got an enduro bike I have tried my dads enduro that has 29ers and I got double the time cuz of corners

Posted: Mar 4, 2022 at 19:50 Quote
Soon there will be a 28 incher... a bit faster than a 27.5 and a bit agile than a 29 ..... BEST OF BOTH WORLDS ! Smile Smile Smile

Posted: Jul 31, 2022 at 0:28 Quote
As I know 27.5 or 650b is not a new wheel size at all, 650b wheels were in past also, so 16", 20", 26", 27.5" and 28"(29") are all standard bike wheel sizes (14", 18" and 24" mostly on kids bikes and 24" on some city). This is just marketing. There are axle options yes, and industry kept quick release (and bolt on) on every entry level or basic bike because it works, it is simple , cheap and it works...

I think that all three wheel sizes will stay on the market. 27.5 is perfect gap filler between wheel size and frame size. Also you can make bike for adults in all three wheel sizes for dufferent purposes, also all wheel sizes are standard even a 650b. They just reincarnated 650b wheel size a decade ago trough mounting biking...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018989
Mobile Version of Website