year 11 mtb research project

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
year 11 mtb research project
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
Hi, I'm currently trying to decide on a research project, I was considering doing the effects of Mtb trails on an area, has anyone got a better idea or has done a research project on an Mtb subject that could give me an example or some advice?

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 16:22 Quote
Seth's Bike Hacks made a Youtube video about the impact that a new downhill shuttle park had on an area. I believe it was in Texas.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 16:30 Quote
i did a project on this freshman year, study on how trails impact wildlife, and and the forest, lots of things online under that search, a ton of stuff on how the trails help thin trees, which leads to healthier trees, and an increase in traffic can help provide ways for animals to get to areas faster, as wel as getting in the way of animals, and drawing away from their natural "chores"

Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 4:16 Quote
derekguy123 wrote:
Seth's Bike Hacks made a Youtube video about the impact that a new downhill shuttle park had on an area. I believe it was in Texas.
thanks, I forgot about that vid????

Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 4:17 Quote
traqs wrote:
i did a project on this freshman year, study on how trails impact wildlife, and and the forest, lots of things online under that search, a ton of stuff on how the trails help thin trees, which leads to healthier trees, and an increase in traffic can help provide ways for animals to get to areas faster, as wel as getting in the way of animals, and drawing away from their natural "chores"
good point I didn't think about the animals

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 19:10 Quote
Please share when your done.

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 21:30 Quote
here is my project.. hopefully can give you some ideas

Summary
In "Natural Resource Impacts of Mountain Biking” by Gary Sprung, from The International Mountain Biking Association, studies were performed to test if mountain biking had any greater effects on the environment than other recreational sports, such as Motocross, Horseback riding, hiking, and more, because the effect on the environment from recreational sports is a very contested topic. Sprung states that due to trail wear and damage, attempts have been made to ban mountain bikers from riding on trails. To prevent this, studies were done on the effects of other recreational sports and were then compared to the effects of mountain bikers. The studies show that hooves, and boots cause more trail wear, hiking and mountainbiking trample vegetation in the same way, and that hikers, due to them spending more time in one area, flush out more animals than any other recreational sport. In “Natural Resource Impacts of Mountain Biking,” by Gary Sprung, shown, were studies that prove that mountain biking causes no more damage than any other recreational sport, and in some cases, it causes less damage.

Response
In “Natural Resource Impacts of Mountain Biking,” by Gary Sprung, from the International Mountain Biking Association, Sprung depicts the impacts on the environment of certain recreational sports such as mountain biking, hiking, and horse riding because I think this is a very controversial topic. Trails deteriorate over time, whether they get overgrown, get run out by weather, or are worn out by use. All users of the trail have a part in this, but to what extent do mountain bikers effect this? Statistically, there is no difference between the effects of shoes versus the effects of tires, however it is proven that hooves from horses cause a significant amount of damage, greater than mountain biking and hiking. It is shown that shoes and hooves move a much greater amount of dirt than wheels do. All recreational sports have an effect on wildlife, however, only a select few of these sports actually cause animals to move out of a location. Mountain Biking only affects very small animals, such as insects, rodents, and a few ground living birds. Surveys have been completed around hiking trails, before, and after the trail was built and used, and it showed that the amount of wildlife in the area decreased greatly, and more significantly, the fact that large mammals such as predatory cats, bears, and bison. Both hiking and biking have about the same impact on plant life, due to the plants being crushed, and trodden on. Compared to the amount of damage caused by horse riding, the effects of hiking and biking seem non existent, horse hooves pull giant parts of the ground out, which can make the trails wear extremely fast, and in severe cases, make them impassable. It is true that mountain biking causes damage, due to trails being dug into the world, and they do leave long term marks on the earth. All sports cause damage, but mountain biking is definitely not the most destructive sport, sports like horse riding and motocross cause a large amount of damage, due to them needing wider trails, and them wearing the trail out very quickly. In “Natural Resource Impacts of Mountain Biking,” by Gary Sprung, from the International Mountain Biking Association, the effects of some recreational sports were compared against mountain biking, in conclusion, mountain biking is not as destructive as several other recreational sports.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 19:51 Quote
Hit up Google Scholar for 'mountain bike trails impact'

There are quite a few papers written on this from all over the world. There is heaps of information out there to inspire your own take on the subject.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005236
Mobile Version of Website