27.5+ front 27.5 rear

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
27.5+ front 27.5 rear
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 12:17 Quote
hi, i have an old full sus i wana switch some parts over from another bike to give it new life (always loved the frame)
the full sus is 27.5 while the donor bike is a 27.5+ (will be using forks and wheel as through axle against QR and much newer/better condition)

long story short it will result in 2.4" rear tire and 2.8" up front, every one raves on mullets but would plus front standard rear cause any problems or even give any benefits

any advice/tips will be awesome!!!!

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 17:54 Quote
Sounds awesome, give it a go and let us know how it works out! I run a 27x3.0/2.8 set on my 29 and have considered changing to 2.6 rear.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 23:30 Quote
I Think you would get similar benefits to a standard mullet. I have never gone for 27+ as I have heard that the lack of side wall support is low and if you have had troubles with this, obviously you would be inviting this potential issue.if you like 27+, no reason not to try it.

When I made a mullet, I dropped the front travel by 20 mm as the fork had 20mm extra ac length. The bike will still sit higher due to the larger tire.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 20:07 Quote
Should be fine. I run maxxis 2.8s on my hardtail. I’m pretty fat, so it helps when I rip corners with my immense body weight.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 20:10 Quote
Plus and "regular" really aren't that different in size, especially when you factor in the greater drop in the tire (compression at the contact point). Just as we wouldn't consider 2.1" vs. 2.5" to be different wheel sizes, there's no reason to think of 2.8" or 3" as a different size. It's the same wheel, just with a bit larger tire.

Maybe the fork will have some extra axle-to crown length, but this is comparable to using a "regular" fork with 10 mm more travel.

So yeah, go for it. Totally fine. If you feel the traction is imbalanced, you can choose a front tire with harder rubber, smaller lugs, etc., which should have the benefit of greater durability and / or lower rolling resistance.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004483
Mobile Version of Website