Advice/opinion needed on new downhill 29er wheelset

PB Forum :: 29ers
Advice/opinion needed on new downhill 29er wheelset
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 1:14 Quote
Hey,

I am currently building a V10 29er for the upcoming season and finally reaching the end of building process. I have everything except the wheelset for the bike.

On my previous 26" DH bike I have used Industry Nine Torch hubs with I9 straight pull spokes and loved the sound, look and strength of those wheels. My original plan was to do the same, order their system wheelset with the new Hydra hubs, spokes and Grade 300 rims but I am starting questioning if I really need this setup considering the price of the complete wheels. I reached out to I9 and the wheels I planned would cost me around $1400 which is pretty steep to be honest.

Considering this I was thinking about another option: order a pair of j-bend Hydra hubs and lace them with DT spokes and nipples to either Grade 300 or DT EX511 rims.

The first option would be more expensive but based on my experience I9 system wheels are bombproof, look amazing and could last years on my new bike I am planning keeping for the upcoming years. The other option is way cheaper, I would have the same hubs but all the advantages (strength, look) of the I9 straight pull spokes would be missing.

Which way would you go and why?

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 17:11 Quote
I’d save the money. 29er rims on dh bikes don’t seem to last long unless you are a light rider

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004327
Mobile Version of Website