Got a 1998 Schwinn Hydramatic - restoring it as a street BMX?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Got a 1998 Schwinn Hydramatic - restoring it as a street BMX?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 6:31 Quote
Hi all,

So recently a relative handed me over a 1998 Schwinn Hydramatic Jay Miron which he had under cobwebs on his garage.
It was just like this one:

https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/schwinn/34321

I was actually considering to buy a DJ or BMX to work on my skills for MTB, so the freebie picked up my interest.

Now, I'm a 100% BMX noob, so pardon my general ignorance.
The idea would be to bring it back to life in more of a modern street setup.
Do you think this would be possible, considering its age and flatland roots?
Going for as little investment as possible.

The bike's condition:
- The original yellow paint is gone and the crappy grey rattle can work that replaced it is flaking and rusting. Will need to paint the frame
- The gyro system is seized. Likely to get rid of it and run rear brake only
- The rims are flaking. Aren't these also triple wall rims? Is this something people still use?
- The pegs are quite rusted, I guess I don't need those for what I want
- For a noob like me, the bike feels way heavier than something it's size should be. Is this something specific of this model?

Thanks for the patience

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
I rebuilt '94 Redlines with newer parts and both ride really well (20" & 24") I just started doing minor research until something peaked my interest and went for it. A lot of eBay time searching after I found something I liked. Good luck, it was a fun process

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 18:29 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Hi all,

So recently a relative handed me over a 1998 Schwinn Hydramatic Jay Miron

The idea would be to bring it back to life in more of a modern street setup.
Do you think this would be possible, considering its age and flatland roots?

Thanks for the patience

It would be totally possible, yes. They made "USA made" versions and normal Taiwanese versions. Both were super heavy, yes, because 1998 was towards the middle/end of the heavy overbuilt era. The USA version is going to be way better made and what the pros actually rode at x-games.

If you like the bike-- go for it. If you're doing it mainly to resell it, then make sure it's one of the USA bikes before dumping a ton of work into it.

Happy trails,

-AB

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 22:34 Quote
Thanks, I was loosing hope of getting help here.
No idea were the frame was made, only that it was some sort of Jay Miron special edition. The idea would be to keep it, no interest whatsoever to sell.

With the rims being triple wall, and flaking, do you thing buying new rims or wheels is worth the investment?

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 23:17 Quote
Yes, it is probably cheaper to buy new or good used than to fix what you have. I found sun rhyno lites with black ops hubs for $150 ( 20" )

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004411
Mobile Version of Website