Problem with first wheelbuild

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Problem with first wheelbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 12:19 Quote
Hey guys.. new to the forum.

So i am making a new budget build for the season and i'm having some wtb frequency i19's laced on shimano slx m7000 hubs. I wanted to try it out myself but couldnt get far at it. I bought spokes and all but when i got to the lacing process i ran into some issues.

First thing that seemed odd was that when i got to the part where you start to cross the spokes my hub wasnt "locked" in position - it could be turned freely left and right.. that was not the case with the hub that was being laced on the tutorial i was watching. And second, when i tried to cross a spoke.. it was simply too short to make it to 3 cross i.e it barely made it into the rim hole, which is funny 'cause when i couldnt get the hub locked up i thought to myself that the spokes are too long.. so now i have no idea what is going on. Lenght wise i got these numbers from prowheelbuilder

I used dt swiss calc aswell and it gave me the same numbers. I measured the rim's ERD myself and i got the same numbers. Hub wise, it was the same eventho it's the older slx model in prowheelbuilder's database. What i noticed is that the flange diameter on shimano's tech docs is 53/54 mm but that is not hole center to hole center but rather a .. well flange diameter.. is this what is causing the problem or is it something in the lacing? My main concern right now is that i have bought the wrong spoke leght.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 11:36 Quote
if you are using the length provided by the pro wheel builder you should be good.... sounds like a lay up and crossing issue... find a good wheel building video and take your time

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 20:50 Quote
Any chance youd be able to upload a photo? Im curious because, even though your hub dimensions are wrong (i have access to all the numbers of various hubs) they arent far off enough to make you experience whats happening.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 1:14 Quote
I know this is very simple but you're sure you put the spokes in the correct side?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004526
Mobile Version of Website