The best spots for 3 days on Vancouver Island?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The best spots for 3 days on Vancouver Island?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 18:08 Quote
I'm headed to Vancouver Island with some friends for 3 days mid-March. What would you say is the top 3 must do ride spots on the island? The ferry drops us in Victoria but we'll have a rental car so we're deciding the best area to stay based on where we ride. Victoria, Nanaimo, somewhere else? fast, flow, long and steep is what we like.

thanks for the help anyone

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 20:10 Quote
Best areas are around Cumberland and around Duncan. But there's great riding around Victoria and Nanaimo as well. If I had to pick I'd probably say Cumberland, although if fast long and steep are what you want Mt prevost (near Duncan) has that. You're starting in Victoria so you could work in a couple stops maybe?

Edit. Misread that as best spot for 3 days but it sounds like you will move around. Hard to do everything in 3 days so I'd pick either Cumberland+Comox valley area, maybe add in a ride in or near nanaimo. Or stay south and do some of Victoria/Sooke/Duncan.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 9:45 Quote
Thanks for the info Kevin267. If we plan to ride Cumberland 1 or 2 days and maybe Duncan the 3rd, would you say staying in Nanaimo is the best option or are there places to stay closer to Cumberland that have good bars and night life? Is it worth going up to Campbell River or is the riding in/around the Cumberland and Nanaimo areas better?
kevin267 wrote:
Best areas are around Cumberland and around Duncan. But there's great riding around Victoria and Nanaimo as well. If I had to pick I'd probably say Cumberland, although if fast long and steep are what you want Mt prevost (near Duncan) has that. You're starting in Victoria so you could work in a couple stops maybe?

Edit. Misread that as best spot for 3 days but it sounds like you will move around. Hard to do everything in 3 days so I'd pick either Cumberland+Comox valley area, maybe add in a ride in or near nanaimo. Or stay south and do some of Victoria/Sooke/Duncan.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 15:54 Quote
I haven't ridden Campbell river before heard good things but don't have first hand knowledge myself. I'm from Victoria, I don't go to those places for the night life but Cumberland is a cool little town, if you stay there the trails are riding distance from town. I'm sure there's a pub or brewery there, and Comox/Courtney nearby have some more. But Nanaimo could be a good spot to kind of split the distance between all of those if you want to tick off all the spots, and Nanaimo has good riding near it too.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 16:11 Quote
There's some OK stuff around Campbell River but nowhere near the quality of Cumberland. If you are taking the ferry to Victoria (you can also take it to Nanaimo from West Vancouver), you should ride at Tzouhalem in Duncan BC that day, it is awesome riding and the climbs are not too painful. Rocky Mountain Ridge and Double D are the must rides from the few times I've been.

You can then drive up to Cumberland that night and easily spend 2 days riding the community forest and Forbidden Plateau. There's a good brewery, pizza place and bar in Cumberland and the town has an awesome mtn bike atmosphere to it, Riding Fool hostel is an option for accoms. I'd way rather stay in Cumberland than in Comox, Nanaimo (ugh) or Duncan.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004462
Mobile Version of Website