Short rear travel + long front travel?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Short rear travel + long front travel?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 8:22 Quote
This might be a dumb question -- but what are the down sides of putting a long fork on the bike?

Case in point is a Canyon Neuron w 130 travel front and back. I am thinking of getting a 160 travel fork. Would this setup become more "capable"?

I can think of a few down sides but none should be deal breakers:

1, Shorter reach -- the difference should be quite minimal -- probably less than half an inch (10mm). Not a big deal. I am between sizes anyway.
2. Shallower head angle by 1.5 degrees -- again no problem as people are rushing to slacken HTAs (or 57 for Grim Donut). The Neuron would become 65.5, so pretty normal.
3. Shallower seat tube angle -- again just push the saddle forward a bit.
4. Rear shock bottoming out -- you could always pump up the pressure. Afterall, some people ride hardtails for Enduro.
5. Frame strength -- let's assume it's not a problem, because many frames these days are fairly overbuilt to begin with.

What am I missing?

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 11:53 Quote
wallstbear wrote:
This might be a dumb question -- but what are the down sides of putting a long fork on the bike?

Case in point is a Canyon Neuron w 130 travel front and back. I am thinking of getting a 160 travel fork. Would this setup become more "capable"?

I can think of a few down sides but none should be deal breakers:

1, Shorter reach -- the difference should be quite minimal -- probably less than half an inch (10mm). Not a big deal. I am between sizes anyway.
2. Shallower head angle by 1.5 degrees -- again no problem as people are rushing to slacken HTAs (or 57 for Grim Donut). The Neuron would become 65.5, so pretty normal.
3. Shallower seat tube angle -- again just push the saddle forward a bit.
4. Rear shock bottoming out -- you could always pump up the pressure. Afterall, some people ride hardtails for Enduro.
5. Frame strength -- let's assume it's not a problem, because many frames these days are fairly overbuilt to begin with.

What am I missing?

Well it will also raise your bottom bracket,which makes it handke worse and feel less planted, plus the weight and position is worse for climbing. But I do like bikes that are engineered to run more front travel more, like for example kona process 111. Engineers know what they are doing and there is usually a reason why the bike is at that travel, so it's probably not great to raise the travel more than 20-30mms from stock, but with that said, if the bb isnt super high, adding a little longer fork can make it desend better, just dont try to use the warranty.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 12:40 Quote
As far as the changes to geometry go, my hardtail was designed for a 120mm fork, but runs a 160. Once you compensate for the rearward shifting of your weight(slam the seat forward and get the stem right) then it works out pretty well. Raising the BB height is not a big tradeoff since it doesn't go up much. As long as you have enough adjustment left on your saddle to nose it down a bit you should be fine.

You may make the change and find that you can't get a climbing position you want, but only if you're pretty close to the edge already.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 17:06 Quote
I see no real downsides, just that it might not work much better than what you already have. I mean if you're a front heavy rider and notice that you've been bottoming out your fork a lot, but don't want the chatter of a higher psi, then it makes perfect sense. But if you just want to increase travel, I think if you're taking hits that require a bigger fork, you should probably have a bigger bike. So if you've got $600 to play with, go for it. I almost did but decided not to for those reasons and I didn't want to spend $600 on an indefinite result.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 20:23 Quote
Running a 150mm fork on my Smuggler (115mm out back) and I really like it. Not as many pedal trikes as I used to get at 130mm. I guess your suspension platform plays a part, the Smuggler feels like it has more travel than it does, which has got to help.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004536
Mobile Version of Website