Lightweight Enduro full face helmet users—anyone crashed in your lid?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Lightweight Enduro full face helmet users—anyone crashed in your lid?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 18:18 Quote
Looking to hear from people who have actually crashed and hit their head in a lightweight full face—the Fox Pro Frame, IXS Trigger, Troy Lee Stage, Kali Invader, etc. How well did it protect you? How would you say it stacked up to a full on DH helmet? Do you think this category of helmet can be your do-it-all full face for average humans?

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 18:37 Quote
I have definitely taken some high speed crashes in my Proframe and it has a couple of small dents near the bottom to prove it. It has probably saved me from a concussion or at the very least some severe road rash on my neck. It has a few other minor scratches that it's taken like a champ.

I can't comment how it stacks up to a full DH helmet but it's great for the kind of riding I do (mostly fire roads up, trails down and occasional park use). It's really light and does have that seam between the chinguard and the main frame which seems like a weak point. I think of it as a good compromise between a full DH helmet and my half lid.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 18:49 Quote
Great question, Lando406, and I hope we see some feedback - not that I hope people are hitting their heads, of course!

My full-face is a moto helmet and, when I push on the chinbar, my neck would give out before the helmet would contact my face. When I tried on a first generation Bell Super 2R, I could push the chinbar to my face with a single finger. Straps were properly adjusted.

Have things improved? Are the latest helmets any use in a frontal crash or are they the worst of both worlds?

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 7:46 Quote
I have/have ridden:

Giro Disciple (true DH helmet)
Fox Proframe
Bell Super 2, 3, and DH
Giro Switchblade
Met Parachute

Of the lightweight full faces, the Bell Super DH def feels the most similar to a DH helmet. I thought it was uncomfortable and a bit large. I've crashed in all the above helmets, definitely ''felt it'' the least in the Giro DH helmet, then the Super DH, then the proframe. The Giro switchblade, while it felt very secure, did not protect me in a crash as the chin bar broke off and exposed my face to the ground. For me personally, if I'm going to be doing very aggressive trail riding or shuttling I grab the Proframe. The disciple is only for bike parks or extremely aggressive shuttles. To answer your original question, if I was only doing bike parks very rarely I would 100% feel comfortable with the Proframe being my only full face helmet.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 12:27 Quote
Taken a couple of crashes in the pro frame, broke one, it is by no means as comfortable to crash with as a full downhill helmet, I find it to hurt quite a bit because of the lesser upholstery inside.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 14:23 Quote
I totaled a Proframe the winter before last. I agree with everyone else that it’s more like crashing in a trail helmet than a DH helmet.

I ended up settling on using a regular trail helmet for the chill days and a full DH helmet for the big days.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
codahale wrote:
I totaled a Proframe the winter before last. I agree with everyone else that it’s more like crashing in a trail helmet than a DH helmet.

I ended up settling on using a regular trail helmet for the chill days and a full DH helmet for the big days.

Same here. I tried the Bell 2R, it was terrible as a full face but if you want goggles with a half shell it worked well. The Proframe never gave me that safe feeling the full on dh helmets do.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 10:14 Quote
I have the Bell Super 3R.
Love it, but I use it 100% for trail riding and I always have the cheek part on. Would I use it for a bike park? Yes, but I might ride @ a bike park 2-3 times this year. If that was the norm for me, I’d go for a DH-certifies helmet.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004865
Mobile Version of Website