2019 Meta TR 29 - North Carolina edition (Customer Service)

PB Forum :: Commencal
2019 Meta TR 29 - North Carolina edition (Customer Service)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 6:46 Quote
I recently picked up a sick bike from the 2nd hand page of commencals USA website. The specs are great, it's in overall excellent condition (described as a "showroom bike almost new condition") and I love it but there have been a few issues that I'm dealing with and now I'm not sure it's even worth keeping. Sending the bike back still remains an option.

The Bike is a NC edition because this "al la carte" custom build came with i9 wheels and Cane Creek Helm forks/ Cane Creek DBcoil IL shock. All are handmade in NC which is dope.

It saddens me to report the issues found are as follows. Front rotor bent in 2 places producing lots of scraping and resistance, the brakes are softer than grandma's mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving and the most unfortunate issue of all; the shock was making an awful knock/clunk that was both very audible and could be felt up through the handlebars.

Due to New England weather and life in general it took 6 days after receipt of the bike before we went on our maiden voyage. This is when I absolutely confirmed the brakes were dangerously soft and the shock was in need of love.

That night I set up an RA with Cane Creek and my man Nate over there had a next-day shipping label waiting for me in the am. Cane Creek has been top-notch thus far.

After seeing the shipping label I naturally emailed Commencal with probably the longest rant I've ever written before. I absolutely hate sending emails like that but when there's thousands of dollars on the line.... Well you understand, I hope. In summary I was called directly by the Commencal peeps over in Colorado; new rotors, brakes pads, a brake bleed kit and even some swag for my troubles was going to be shipped my way and it was all good.

The next day (Feb 14) I received a call back from Nate at CC, the problem had been found. He stated that the eyelet hardware on my shock was not theirs. Apparently this 3rd party eyelet was not pressed in properly so it had play and is likely the cause of that knock/clunk. He jokingly asked if I did this with a hammer lol. CC said they'd Insall the correct hardware and ship the shock back faster than Santa on Christmas Eve. This was about 12pm, est. I then immediately emailed Commencal to inform them of Nate's finding.

Its now Saturday at 9am and they still haven't responded. 5 hours passed on Friday and my email was just ignored. The website says customer service is available M-F 9-5 so why did nobody care to respond? I want to have faith in Commencal but it's not looking so good right now.

I would like to add that I did not just impulse buy this bike. I spent countless hours over the past several weeks researching all of the direct-to-consumer and boutique bike brands out there because I'd rather support them than the big corporate companies that only care about profits. In the end I decided that, IMO Commencal makes the best looking bikes out there and I had to have one.

My hope is that new CC eyelet hardware fits my bike because if it doesn't this bike would be of no use to me at all and my patience will have run out.

So, how good is Commencals' Customer service? That is yet to be determined. It's funny that this morning I received an email asking me to rate my experience with this recent purchase. I've decided to sit on the review, for now, and give Commencal a chance to make all of this stress, time wasted and all of these long emails and rants actually worth it.

I hope I'm not just yelling into the darkness.

Sincerely,
Eric

Tldr: bought 2nd hand custom build in as new condition. Came with rotor bent, brakes unsafely squishy and shock needed RA out the box. Blah blah blahh. Woe Is Me!

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 11:33 Quote
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully it gets sorted asap.

I'll share my negative Commencal experience.
I ordered a new 2020 Furious in October.
It's been delayed three times (originally December delivery).
Hopefully it ships out soon.

The above i can deal with; delays happen. This i have an issue with:
When i ordered the bike (furious essential fox), the spec for the fork was a fox 40 performance elite Grip 2.
In January, i happened to be looking at the spec page on the website, and it's now saying Grip damper (not the grip 2).
I email Commencal Canada explaining that i would like the bike with the grip 2 fork that was specified when i ordered the bike, and their reply included this:

"the following information from our General terms & conditions :

Article 7 - Product information
Article 7.1:
COMMENCAL CANADA displays products for sale on their website with the necessary characteristics to allow the potential consumer to discover, before ordering, any essential information on a particular product required before buying.
The descriptions, characteristics and illustrations of our products are produced with the greatest of care. Errors can appear however, as well as modifications carried out by COMMENCAL CANADA. We therefore take no responsibility for such disparities, nor can the validity of the transaction be called into question"

Commencal Canada offered to refund my order, but would not deliver the bike with the grip 2 fork.
They offered to throw in a "shirt and a cap" instead.
I sent a PM to Commencal here on Pinkbike requesting the bike come as i ordered it, but no response.
Since i had already ordered a shirt with the bike, Commencal Canada and i settled on me keeping my order and them including a set of bearings and a derailleur hanger.

It's pretty shady what they're doing imo.
How can they advertise a higher end product, then switch it to a lower end product after they take your money?
I'm sure i'm not the only one who ordered the bike before the spec was changed. I happened to notice the spec change, but i'm sure there are other people who haven't noticed, and may end up with a bike showing up not how they ordered it.
I'm not too impressed that i'm not getting the bike as ordered, but in the end i'm sure i'll love the bike either way.

TLDR; Ordered bike with grip 2 fork. 2 months later, Commencal changes spec to regular grip fork. They throw fine print at me saying it was an "error" and won't give me the grip 2, but threw in a set of bearings and a hanger. Still haven't received the bike (almost 3 months delayed so far)

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 17:25 Quote
Here is the bike for reference.

photo

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 17:27 Quote
And this is the bike patiently waiting for the shock to return.

photo

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 17:29 Quote
Bluewater87 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully it gets sorted asap.

I'll share my negative Commencal experience.
I ordered a new 2020 Furious in October.
It's been delayed three times (originally December delivery).
Hopefully it ships out soon.

The above i can deal with; delays happen. This i have an issue with:
When i ordered the bike (furious essential fox), the spec for the fork was a fox 40 performance elite Grip 2.
In January, i happened to be looking at the spec page on the website, and it's now saying Grip damper (not the grip 2).
I email Commencal Canada explaining that i would like the bike with the grip 2 fork that was specified when i ordered the bike, and their reply included this:

"the following information from our General terms & conditions :

Article 7 - Product information
Article 7.1:
COMMENCAL CANADA displays products for sale on their website with the necessary characteristics to allow the potential consumer to discover, before ordering, any essential information on a particular product required before buying.
The descriptions, characteristics and illustrations of our products are produced with the greatest of care. Errors can appear however, as well as modifications carried out by COMMENCAL CANADA. We therefore take no responsibility for such disparities, nor can the validity of the transaction be called into question"

Commencal Canada offered to refund my order, but would not deliver the bike with the grip 2 fork.
They offered to throw in a "shirt and a cap" instead.
I sent a PM to Commencal here on Pinkbike requesting the bike come as i ordered it, but no response.
Since i had already ordered a shirt with the bike, Commencal Canada and i settled on me keeping my order and them including a set of bearings and a derailleur hanger.

It's pretty shady what they're doing imo.
How can they advertise a higher end product, then switch it to a lower end product after they take your money?
I'm sure i'm not the only one who ordered the bike before the spec was changed. I happened to notice the spec change, but i'm sure there are other people who haven't noticed, and may end up with a bike showing up not how they ordered it.
I'm not too impressed that i'm not getting the bike as ordered, but in the end i'm sure i'll love the bike either way.

TLDR; Ordered bike with grip 2 fork. 2 months later, Commencal changes spec to regular grip fork. They throw fine print at me saying it was an "error" and won't give me the grip 2, but threw in a set of bearings and a hanger. Still haven't received the bike (almost 3 months delayed so far)

Ugh that's pretty terrible, sorry to hear that. I'm not sure I would accept the lesser fork, idk. Have you since been given a solid eta?

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 19:35 Quote
E-Zilonis wrote:
Ugh that's pretty terrible, sorry to hear that. I'm not sure I would accept the lesser fork, idk. Have you since been given a solid eta?

No i haven't.
I'm on the commencal canada email subscription list. They sent me an email last Wednesday saying their bikes are now in stock, and they also updated the website to in stock.
Was hoping they'd ship it that week, but doesn't look like it.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 3:57 Quote
I inquired with Commencal yesterday, and turns out the bike shipped late last week and should be at my place on monday as per the canpar tracking. Commencal said i should have received a shipping email; i did not.

My other commencal bike i purchased a year ago (absolut) shipped via fedex and arrived in 3 days. New bike is now shipped by Canpar and is estimating 10 days. Hopefully it arrives sooner than that.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011913
Mobile Version of Website