MTB or DJ ?

| Next Page
Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
Thanks for all the information and the support everyone !!!

Sorry I asked for advice then headed directly off the ranch...haha....

Again, several things converged after I posted the question and we wound up pulling the trigger. I honestly didn't figure I'd get much action on the thread. Not sure why, maybe just cause I'm a new guy here....(.....like I said....50 lashes) Wink

We'll start a build thread on it but I have to figure out how the heck to post pictures...

Hope everyone's having a great weekend and getting some riding in wherever you may be !!

tony

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 16:30 Quote
Hey sounds great to me, I did the same fory my son, older kona jump frame, but those older kona frames have pretty much normal geometry, not so dj specific. I am sure it will work great, especially if slightly overforked, I had 140mm on it and he seemed to like how it felt.
I think it was a 2009 Stuff, with the sliding dropouts, I need to build it up and sell it.

Posted: Mar 5, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
allsk8sno wrote:
Hey sounds great to me, I did the same for my son, older kona jump frame, ....... I am sure it will work great, especially if slightly overforked, I had 140mm on it and he seemed to like how it felt.
I think it was a 2009 Stuff, with the sliding dropouts, I need to build it up and sell it.

Thanks allsk8 !

We got the frame last Friday and she is over the top with it. Loves it !!!

We're putting the Marzocchi's off my Stinky 5 on it. I swapped a set of Fox (32's ???) air forks on to Stinky so Scrappy will get the Bombers.

Speaking of over-forked. I thought I was overforked when I got it and measured the rear spacing as 130mm and not 135 as noted in the ad. Owner states he ran 135mm Hope hubs on it so a slight spread of the stays and the wheel I have seems to fit up fine. All the info I have found online states it's 135mm so I'm dipping a toe into unclear waters on this one.

I guess if the derailleur lines up and it shifts fine, we'll be in good shape.

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 6:51 Quote
As a long time bmxer I laugh at people worrying about afew mm, it's the disc mount that matters

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 14:28 Quote
allsk8sno wrote:
As a long time bmxer I laugh at people worrying about a few mm, it's the disc mount that matters

oh I'm sure man...!

Knowing my luck I would have posted up something like "....well, the dropout spacing was 130mm, so I spread the stays so I could wedge my 135mm wide hub'd wheel in there...." and gotten torched...

Learning curve.... Wink

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
i just noticed you have a stinky five, or had, i used to ride one as well, though i only rode it stock for afew months here is an old pic of it https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/pnws-picture-thread.26328/post-439132 i am also trying to upload a pic of my son's kona, your daugters looks good!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005513
Mobile Version of Website