Derailleur shifting issues: XT shifter stiff, wont go into 48t

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Derailleur shifting issues: XT shifter stiff, wont go into 48t
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 20:05 Quote
Hello lads,

I recently did some work on my bike and I'm having some strange issues. I did a lot so let me lay it all out...

I bought a new Bontrager line 30 comp rear wheel and a new rotor and slapped it on with my existing 11-48t Shimano XT cassette. I also got a new XT derailleur, 11-speed long cage (the same one that was on my bike). I put them on, changed the cable and housing, and started adjusting the shifting. Got the limit screws set correctly as well as the B-screw. It refused to shift to the 48 tooth. I messed with the cable tension but couldn't get anything to work. When I try to shift into the last gear, the shifter produces A LOT of friction before clicking. It does this when the cable is at any tension.

I pushed the mech all the way up to the 48 tooth and it will go up manually. My only idea is that there is something wrong with the shifter, but I'm looking for other opinions

Thanks!

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 22:36 Quote
Chain length correct? Mech mounted properly on the hanger?

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 7:02 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Chain length correct? Mech mounted properly on the hanger?

Chain length should be fine, it was shifting fine with the old mech. Im gonna have another look at it this morning to see if i did something really stupid

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 7:04 Quote
too much cable tension would be my guess from how your'e describing what the shifter is doing but you say at any tension?? I have read that the outer cable loop at the mech shouldn't be too tight on shimano mechs

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
mememastermicah wrote:
Hello lads,

I recently did some work on my bike and I'm having some strange issues. I did a lot so let me lay it all out...

I bought a new Bontrager line 30 comp rear wheel and a new rotor and slapped it on with my existing 11-48t Shimano XT cassette. I also got a new XT derailleur, 11-speed long cage (the same one that was on my bike). I put them on, changed the cable and housing, and started adjusting the shifting. Got the limit screws set correctly as well as the B-screw. It refused to shift to the 48 tooth. I messed with the cable tension but couldn't get anything to work. When I try to shift into the last gear, the shifter produces A LOT of friction before clicking. It does this when the cable is at any tension.

I pushed the mech all the way up to the 48 tooth and it will go up manually. My only idea is that there is something wrong with the shifter, but I'm looking for other opinions

Thanks!
As far as i know there is only 11-46 11-speed Shimano casette and long cage deraileur is max. 46 tooth at 1x11.
If you have 48-tooth something is wrong..are you sure its 48-tooth?

If its 46 tooth, then probably cable length is off, you should setup length of cable when deraileur is on 11-tooth cog.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
Can you push the derailleur to the 48t ring by hand? I'd guess it's a limit screw issue if you can't. Cassette on tight, fully seated?

Top pulley isn't hitting the 48t ring?

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004763
Mobile Version of Website