RV Based Utah trip ideas

PB Forum :: Canada - West
RV Based Utah trip ideas
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 20:53 Quote
Hey folks,

Wife and I are planning a trip to Park City Utah to ride bikes. There is lots to do around the Park city area, but we want to explore more after our stay by RV or van or something.

Anybody have tips or experience on sourcing a vehicle to rent that is good for a bike road trip? We are flying into Utah, driving from Canada is not an option as its way too far as we are coming from the Yukon. If it was closer we would take our truck and camper, but that option is out as mentioned. Many RV rentals don't offer bike friendly options, such as a bike rack. Because we are flying we can only bring so much gear with us to make camping and biking feasible.

Any input and experiences from anyone on a similar trip would be very helpful.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 7:15 Quote
Hey lightningskull, buddies and I have done a few trips in camper van or RV’s. Can you imagine 4 guys with all their stuff and bikes in a small camper. We have done Italy, Switzerland and Portugal like this, the campers there are much smaller than what we have here in North America. We also did Mont Saint Anne last year in Quebec for the World Cup! And my wife and I just got back from New Zealand a few days ago and lived out of a small van for a month!

You just have to be aware of what you take, practice packing stuff up. Then you can delete stuff that doesn’t fit and you don’t really need. We have always just Goggled places to rent campers from. Get started sooner than later looking online and send them emails and see how they respond, look at the ratings and read the reviews, just remember that people are different and expect different things, so take the negative ones with a grain of salt, unless the bad out number the good then move on.

Park City in Utah is a pretty popular bike, hike, ski spot. I’m sure someone will be able to look after all your needs! And take your bikes! Buy or rent a bike bag, makes a huge difference and if you plan on riding more that just a couple days it will be worth it, renting good bikes cost money. It really is a fairly simple process, don’t be intimidated and just take a bit of time to do your research and you’ll see, you guys will have an awesome time!

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 22:08 Quote
bags1 wrote:
Hey lightningskull, buddies and I have done a few trips in camper van or RV’s. Can you imagine 4 guys with all their stuff and bikes in a small camper. We have done Italy, Switzerland and Portugal like this, the campers there are much smaller than what we have here in North America. We also did Mont Saint Anne last year in Quebec for the World Cup! And my wife and I just got back from New Zealand a few days ago and lived out of a small van for a month!

You just have to be aware of what you take, practice packing stuff up. Then you can delete stuff that doesn’t fit and you don’t really need. We have always just Goggled places to rent campers from. Get started sooner than later looking online and send them emails and see how they respond, look at the ratings and read the reviews, just remember that people are different and expect different things, so take the negative ones with a grain of salt, unless the bad out number the good then move on.

Park City in Utah is a pretty popular bike, hike, ski spot. I’m sure someone will be able to look after all your needs! And take your bikes! Buy or rent a bike bag, makes a huge difference and if you plan on riding more that just a couple days it will be worth it, renting good bikes cost money. It really is a fairly simple process, don’t be intimidated and just take a bit of time to do your research and you’ll see, you guys will have an awesome time!

Thanks for the reply. I'll certainly look into some of your suggestions. Have you any additional tips for flying with bikes? I'm looking at bike bags right now and considering the challenges of getting them around!

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 5:48 Quote
A bike bag is the ticket for sure. I did use cardboard boxes for the first few times travelling, but they don’t work as good as a bag that’s for sure. Travelling in an RV with you bike can be a pain if you have to take it apart all the time, but it’s just one of those things you know. It’s still better than renting a bike for a week at a hundred bucks a day. And the bike bags have wheels on them, just like towing your suitcase around. I use a travel style Bach pack I bought at MEC and that leaves my hands free to pull my bike around. Easy!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004781
Mobile Version of Website