Manitou Markhor vs Suntour Epixon

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Manitou Markhor vs Suntour Epixon
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 7:36 Quote
Got hurt pretty bad at the end of summer, and can't ski or climb this winter. One of the things I've been doing to pass the time is rebuild this older GT bike. Stripped everything down, and have been buying stuff off of Ebay for the last couple months and building it back up piece by piece. It's been a good learning experience and helps maintain my sanity.

Bike is a 2012 GT Sensor 29er expert. It came with a 2011 Marzocchi 44 TST2 air fork. I bought this used a few years ago, and the fork never really worked right. Rebound and lockout were both wonky and unreliable. It leaked air when it cycled too (would have to carry a shock pump on long rides because after a couple hours I'd have lost 20-25 psi). Replaced the seals, but that hasn't completely remedied the issue. Though I can't definitively tell by look or touch, I suspect one of the stanchions is damaged.

Anywho, I am now on the lookout for a 29" 120mm fork, but the kicker is it needs to be 1 1/8 straight steerer tube. Turns out, that's quite limiting. Basically, my choices come down to a Manitou Markhor or a Suntour Epixon.

Anyone have some experience with either fork or brand? I think I had a Suntour fork on a cheap Specialized hardtail from 15 years ago, but that's been my only experience with either brand. I get that you can buy an upgrade kit for the Manitou, but since I have a much nicer Rocky Mountain bike, I'm not all that interested in dropping another $100 on an upgrade for a bike I'll ride only sparingly.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 17:03 Quote
The Markhor is a great fork and can be made even better by swapping in an ABS+ damper. Also look into changing to an external lower cup to convert your head tube to tapered steerer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004956
Mobile Version of Website