Tubeless benefit?

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Tubeless benefit?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
Hi, sorry if wrong forum..... What is the benefit of attempting/doing a "split tube" tubeless conversion on a bike wheel? I have a Rocky Mountain Blizzard -20, stock rims are not tubeless ready, and currently running Dillinger 5 (studded) tires front and back, but with tubes right now. Have researched the "split tube" method but fail to see the benefit, and I would have very similar weight with using a tube over the rim edges? Is there something I am missing in this method? I currently run the tubed setup at 5psi, and have had no problems in snow and ice, or hardpack. (Manitoba, Canada) Appreciate any assistance, suggestions, and tips anyone can provide. Thanks, Ron

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
I used these guys when I went tubeless. lighter than a split tube. no leaks. guy at the bike shop told me to use an entire bottle of sealant for both tires. I maybe used 4oz per tire and they've held up just fine. compressor helps, but it can be done with hand pump.

http://fattystripper.com/

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 20:32 Quote
Tubeless tires have a lot of benefits some of the common benefits due to which I prefer them are following:

Tubeless mountain bike tires provide better traction
Reduce weight from tires
Eliminate Pinch Flats
Eliminate the Need for a Patch Kit

Posted: Aug 20, 2020 at 5:20 Quote
RonB wrote:
Hi, sorry if wrong forum..... What is the benefit of attempting/doing a "split tube" tubeless conversion on a bike wheel? I have a Rocky Mountain Blizzard -20, stock rims are not tubeless ready, and currently running Dillinger 5 (studded) tires front and back, but with tubes right now. Have researched the "split tube" method but fail to see the benefit, and I would have very similar weight with using a tube over the rim edges? Is there something I am missing in this method? I currently run the tubed setup at 5psi, and have had no problems in snow and ice, or hardpack. (Manitoba, Canada) Appreciate any assistance, suggestions, and tips anyone can provide. Thanks, Ron

The one thing I noticed when using tubes vs. Fattystrippers ony my Surly Marge Lite rims (non-tubeless version) is that I could run lower pressures with the split tube method. With a tube, if my psi was less than 6 or 7, the rear tire would actually slip and spin on the rim a bit when I put some power into the pedal stroke. No good!

Also, the sealant would seal small punctures. I never had a sidewall gash though, and imagine it would be a big hoknin mess in the winter pulling out the sealant covered latex or split tube, and put it somewhere to carry out unless I went back to retrieve it.

Fatttstrippers is much thinner than a split tube and so weighs less. It is worth trying out imo, the seal on the rim is nice and tight. Or, just buy a tubless wheelset and tires if you can swing it. That is the superior option.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004852
Mobile Version of Website