Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 vs Kona Process 134 DL 29?

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 vs Kona Process 134 DL 29?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 16:59 Quote
Looking at getting a newer bike in a 29er. I've been a Kona rider for ages and the 2020 134DL 29er is calling me, but the Rocky LBS supports a lot of local trail maintenance where I ride. The A50 is identical in price and Shimano XT vs the SRAM on the Kona and I've always kinda been a Shimano guy. So, without much on the web for 2020 A50 or C50 reviews, anybody want to talk me out of the 134DL? Anybody ridden both?

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 10:11 Quote
I bought a 2014 Altitude 770 several years ago and am still very happy with it. The reason I choose another RM is because my 1999 Element Race has been abused for 2 decades and is still in great shape. In fact, I rode it yesterday. I also like Shimano, so the Instinct XT would be my choice.
I haven’t ridden either, but if you can demo both than buy the one that fits you best.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 13:00 Quote
Process 134. I have been riding the DLCR this winter. The longer reach and steeper sta are an easy win for me. Kona has found a great balance for long low slack without overdoing it. It is very stable and fast. The suspension is pretty refined. Kinda disappears under you. Very efficie t feeling, the Ki d of bike you'd want for an all day pedal. Capable, comfortable and efficient.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 13:40 Quote
rahrider wrote:
Process 134. I have been riding the DLCR this winter. The longer reach and steeper sta are an easy win for me. Kona has found a great balance for long low slack without overdoing it. It is very stable and fast. The suspension is pretty refined. Kinda disappears under you. Very efficie t feeling, the Ki d of bike you'd want for an all day pedal. Capable, comfortable and efficient.

How capable is that rear suspension on the Process? Do you have any experience with the Instinct as well? Where do you ride?
I've been hearing some good things about the Process 134 - especially about that longer reach and steeper STA

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 20:14 Quote
JonoSchwarz wrote:
rahrider wrote:

How capable is that rear suspension on the Process? Do you have any experience with the Instinct as well? Where do you ride?
I've been hearing some good things about the Process 134 - especially about that longer reach and steeper STA

Had a bit more time on it but still have yet to take it on anything that really challenges the bike. I ride the lower mainland and Vancouver Island mostly. It can handle most any black I've been on but I think it would be undergunned on something like bookwus for instance. The bike is on the more flexible side. Especially in the XL and at 225lbs. It is basically a pedal all day bike for me. The suspension doesn't feel plush or bottomless but the geometry and big wheels help it shred. It feels confident on everything I've taken it on so far. I'm going riding on some gnarlier stuff tomorrow. I'll post up how it does.

In terms of how the suspension feels, I wouldn't call it plush. I have an evil insurgent that has just 16mm more travel and is 27.5 but it feels way more plush and bottomless. I haven't ridden an instinct but my wife has one. It seems to be a stiffer bike but the geometry is not nearly so progressive. That being said, I like the older school geometry better. To get the. Process into a manual, you have to practically throw yourself off the back of the bike. Bunny hops are a huge endeavor compared to my other bikes.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 20:17 Quote
OK, took out the 134 CR DL on some of the more gnarly trails around. Lots of loose baby heads and scree. Lots of gnarly rock slabs and in general a pretty non-stop trail. After riding my Knolly Carbon Warden Mullet there on the exact same trails a few days ago, I have to say I was underwhelmed on my Kona. I won't call it flexy as that would be negative and I want to like this bike. Lets call it "whipy?" "snappy?" What is a kind word for flexy? I wonder if the aluminum version may be stiffer? In any case, both my bikes have 150mm forks (Fox 36 vs DVO diamond) so the big difference between the bikes is the frame stiffness, 21mm more travel on the knolly and a smaller rear wheel. When I got home, I started to look at fugitive LT frames. Then I came to my senses and will take my knolly on the rowdier trails and take the 134 when I just want to rip some blues and easy blacks.

Posted: Apr 16, 2020 at 18:27 Quote
Thanks for the input folks. For some reason Pinkbike isn't sending me notices to this thread even though it shows me as subscribed so I'm just reading these replies now.

Not sure if I'm going to upgrade this year or not now. Spent a bunch of my upgrade money on a pair of Blizzards for my wife and I and with the whole pandemic thing going on I'm a bit leary of spending significant money on a new trail bike when my current Process 134DL still runs almost like new. Just wish it was a bit slacker and had 29" wheels. The steeper STA thing strikes me as a bit of a wash in up/down terrain. Good for climbing but more of a pain feeling like I have to use the dropper more often for short downhills.

I like the versatility of the Instinct's Ride 9 and the Shimano groupset is a plus for me. I'm not a SRAM hater but I like the way Shimano shifts better. SRAM makes me feel almost like I went back to the early 90s push-push shifters of Shimano's Deore DX group and the Instinct's XT brakes are like throwing out a boat anchor. Even though my last two trailbikes were Konas the fact they went SRAM isn't a positive for me.

Sooo, I guess we'll see how weak I get if the local shops get something built up and sitting on the shop floor for a bit after the trails dry up. LOL

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004756
Mobile Version of Website