Recomended suspension settings 5010 v3

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Recomended suspension settings 5010 v3
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 6:01 Quote
Hi all, I've got a 2019 5010 I ride around NC. I'm about 180lbs and ride fairly aggressively. Unfortunately I have not been able to get the bike's suspension to feel dialed. Any advice on what shock psi and suspension settings I should be running?

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 7:48 Quote
Can you elaborate on what you've described as "not dialed"?

Is the bike feeling harsh / lacking sensitivity? Does it feel unsupportive?

Are you blowing through the travel / bottoming out very often? Are you not using as much of the travel as you'd like?

So forth.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 8:02 Quote
aegiz wrote:
Can you elaborate on what you've described as "not dialed"?

Is the bike feeling harsh / lacking sensitivity? Does it feel unsupportive?

Are you blowing through the travel / bottoming out very often? Are you not using as much of the travel as you'd like?

So forth.

Thanks for the response! It feels chattery at speed. I do bottom it out pretty often but I think that is because I tend to hit poorly designed jumps.

It does feels supportive in the sense that it does not bob when pedaling.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
Do you know what volume spacers you've currently got in the shock? Shock pressure?

Also, tire pressures?

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 8:22 Quote
I'm roughly the same weight on a large 2019 5010 with a DPX2 factory shock. I ride steep technical enduro-style trails with it and occasionally lift accessed DH. Drops up to 5-6'. I am not the most aggressive rider but the trails I ride are demanding. I occasionally bottom out but it never feels harsh, I enjoy the way the shock feels. My Settings are:

~210 psi
0.86 in^3 volume spacer
a few clicks of LSC in from fully open
rebound a click or two slower than the halfway point on the dial.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
Your settings appear appropriate, generally speaking. (It's ultimately all very subjective). EDIT--different person. Err... information below is still viable

Based on how you've described your bottom outs and comparing them to the mid stroke harshness, it may benefit you to:

Reduce your spring rate (lower the shock pressure). You can push into a greater sag value (say, 28-30%). This could aid in reducing the harshness you're feeling.

However, by doing so, you'll likely want to increase your volume spacer to aid in the end stroke ramp up. If you make the adjustment mentioned above and keep the existing spacer, the bike will likely bottom out more frequently and feel more harsh when it does. Not desirable.

If some of the mid stroke harshness you're feeling now is caused by the bike's rear end skipping over trail features, you can investigate your rebound setting as well. Slowing it down (adding clicks clockwise) will help the bike remain more planted. This could improve the ride feel as well as rear wheel grip. Be mindful that too much rebound damping can cause the suspension to bog down--you want to aim for a recovery rate that maximizes the rear wheels contact to the trail.

Finally, if you choose to lower your spring rate and are finding that the mid stroke less supportive, you'll want to increase your LSC. This will likely be the case, but again, the feeling is subjective so you'll have to play around with the settings. Remember that LSC adjustments will not greatly combat high speed harshness. This adjustment should be made if you find that you're blowing through your mid stroke travel when cornering hard, or during G outs.

Hope that helps? :\

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 12:44 Quote
aegiz wrote:
Do you know what volume spacers you've currently got in the shock? Shock pressure?

Also, tire pressures?

I do not know the volume spacers, I'll double check my pressures.

I usually run about 25psi in my front tire and 30 in the back.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 12:45 Quote
crj5 wrote:
I'm roughly the same weight on a large 2019 5010 with a DPX2 factory shock. I ride steep technical enduro-style trails with it and occasionally lift accessed DH. Drops up to 5-6'. I am not the most aggressive rider but the trails I ride are demanding. I occasionally bottom out but it never feels harsh, I enjoy the way the shock feels. My Settings are:

~210 psi
0.86 in^3 volume spacer
a few clicks of LSC in from fully open
rebound a click or two slower than the halfway point on the dial.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! is this this same for the dpx2 and the forks?

If not, what are the fork settings you use?

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 15:27 Quote
tbk125 wrote:

I use a 140mm Fox 36 with a GRIP2 damper so the shock settings don't translate to the fork. I do have it set up to where I feel the front and rear are balanced. The fork is just shy of 80 PSI, maybe 78, and I have five volume spacers in it. I don't know the exact numbers of HSC/LSC HSR/LSR clicks, but I started with Fox's recommended settings and settled with everything a couple clicks more closed.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 16:22 Quote
crj5 wrote:
tbk125 wrote:

I use a 140mm Fox 36 with a GRIP2 damper so the shock settings don't translate to the fork. I do have it set up to where I feel the front and rear are balanced. The fork is just shy of 80 PSI, maybe 78, and I have five volume spacers in it. I don't know the exact numbers of HSC/LSC HSR/LSR clicks, but I started with Fox's recommended settings and settled with everything a couple clicks more closed.

Very cool, how noticeable is the extra 10mm with the fox 36 vs 130mm with a 34?

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 16:44 Quote
tbk125 wrote:

Very cool, how noticeable is the extra 10mm with the fox 36 vs 130mm with a 34?

I never ran it at 130, I built it with the 36 and it feels just right.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005166
Mobile Version of Website