Upgrading from a RS Recon 130mm fork with a budget of £400

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Upgrading from a RS Recon 130mm fork with a budget of £400
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 12:00 Quote
Recently bought a 2019 Calibre Bossnut, upgrading from a low end hardtail, and I was expecting a much smoother ride on the front suspension than what the Rockshox Recon RL has to offer.
A friend of mine has talked me into getting a new fork and given he rides enduro, downhill and I ride trail centres and all mountain he can't give me much advice on what to look at.
I've spotted some RS Pikes and Yaris for around that price mark and also a Manitou Mattoc Pro I'd just like some help with my dilema please and thank you.

PS. I want more travel, currently running 130mm. 140-150mm should be perfect as I also eventually want to ride some more aggressive stuff.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 15:39 Quote
What about changing the airshaft and cartridge in your fork.
You'd probably spend way less than 400 quid.
I'd maybe check with TF tuned and see what they might be able to do for you.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 15:54 Quote
I had the RS Sektor on my hardtail, and bought a used 2016 Pike, had it rebuilt, for my weight. Was a game changer, the pike is Soooo much better. If you find a Pike for a reasonable price, go for it.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 0:23 Quote
I think I may just do that Tjomball, consider all options.

There's one right now for around £370 on Merlin cycles a RS Pike RCT3 except the travel is 160mm ???? can you adjust the travel? I think travel that high will mess with the geo of the bike a little too much. Thank you.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 4:33 Quote
Pretty good deal on that pike. Another option is to go for a revelation. Same chassis as the pike but different internals. Decent fork for around £350. Failing that have a look on the buy and sell. I wouldn’t increase travel too much. 140mm isn’t a bad shout just remember when you add fork travel it’ll slacken the seat tube angle and raise the bb height which will mess with the handling.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 5:06 Quote
Joshezpz wrote:
I think I may just do that Tjomball, consider all options.

There's one right now for around £370 on Merlin cycles a RS Pike RCT3 except the travel is 160mm ???? can you adjust the travel? I think travel that high will mess with the geo of the bike a little too much. Thank you.

Yes, just need a new air shaft, about 40 quid and easy to install.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 5:09 Quote
Thanks boys I'll add a Rev to my list too.

Anybody had any experience with the Mattoc Pro current model? Seems like a great price I've spotted one for £350 delivered?

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 6:10 Quote
No experience with them but read a lot of good reviews. There’s a few decent buys on buysell. Couple of lyriks for around £300.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 7:06 Quote
Re Manitou
From earlier years I am a sceptic.
Bit mind you this is based upon plastic internals from two decades ago that snapped if you as much as looked at em the wrong way.
Things have appearantly improved much since then.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
Winstanley bikes has DVO Beryl forks for £399. 27.5 internally adjustable 140mm to 170mm, 29 internally adjustable 130mm to 160mm.

Unfortunately I'm waiting on a new frame, so can't comment on how good they are.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 9:18 Quote
Heywood165 wrote:
Winstanley bikes has DVO Beryl forks for £399. 27.5 internally adjustable 140mm to 170mm, 29 internally adjustable 130mm to 160mm.

Unfortunately I'm waiting on a new frame, so can't comment on how good they are.

I hadn't even considered DVO I'll have to do some reading.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 15:36 Quote
Recon to Yari/Revelation is not much of an upgrade IMHO. Larger stanchions are welcome, but the Motion Control damper gets overwhelmed easily on repeated hits. I would look for a used pike or a Mattoc. The Beryl also sounds great if available at this price. Just got a Diamond to replace my Yari and it works much better. More traction, less arm pump, long descends are not a just matter of survival anymore.

Don't go over 10mm from your current travel though, geometry gets weird and unbalanced. Not worth it. 130 to 140 will be fine, maybe take the bars one spacer lower to keep the riding position similar.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 16:24 Quote
justwan-naride wrote:
Recon to Yari/Revelation is not much of an upgrade IMHO. Larger stanchions are welcome, but the Motion Control damper gets overwhelmed easily on repeated hits. I would look for a used pike or a Mattoc. The Beryl also sounds great if available at this price. Just got a Diamond to replace my Yari and it works much better. More traction, less arm pump, long descends are not a just matter of survival anymore.

Don't go over 10mm from your current travel though, geometry gets weird and unbalanced. Not worth it. 130 to 140 will be fine, maybe take the bars one spacer lower to keep the riding position similar.

Yeah, I went from a 130 mm to 140 mm, kept the geo, and is more than enough travel..^^^^ 10 mm is a good point.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 8:37 Quote
justwan-naride wrote:

Cheers I think I'm pretty set on some mattoc pros and just setting the travel to 140mm. Seen some online for 350GBP delivered, not sure if mentioned, and I've noticed people compare them to pikes a lot on other forums so ????‍♂️????‍♂️

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005111
Mobile Version of Website