SKF wiper seals for Rockshox Pike.. has anyone tried these green seals?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
SKF wiper seals for Rockshox Pike.. has anyone tried these green seals?
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 20:11 Quote
I've just purchased a set of SKF wiper seals for my lower leg service on my RS Pike 2019 model. on the website it says that it fits 2008 to current forks.. when i got the seal kit, on the box it says for 2008-2015 forks.. I've looked everywhere for an updated version but I'm just finding the same ones that i bought. so I'm beginning to think that this seal kit i have is the one I'm supposed to use.. anyone tried these out and can confirm they work with the newer pike forks??

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
I've just purchased a set of SKF wiper seals for my lower leg service on my RS Pike 2019 model. on the website it says that it fits 2008 to current forks.. when i got the seal kit, on the box it says for 2008-2015 forks.. I've looked everywhere for an updated version but I'm just finding the same ones that i bought. so I'm beginning to think that this seal kit i have is the one I'm supposed to use.. anyone tried these out and can confirm they work with the newer pike forks??

Im pretty sure all 35mm stanchions from RS are the same I'm running new like seals in a 2012 lyrik cuz the lyriks seals are horrible and chase stitchion

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 17:47 Quote
I talked to Sram about this. The 11.4018.028.013 seals are for the 35mm Pike.
The problem is, after all the hype about the wonderful new low friction seals, there is no new part # for them.
There is a very slight height difference between them, but it will be a running change in inventory, so you really won't know if you are getting the new ones. I guess they want to use up existing inventory first.
Probably by mid summer, new inventory will be the new seals.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 17:52 Quote
johnovey wrote:
The problem is, after all the hype about the wonderful new low friction seals, there is no new part # for them.
There is a very slight height difference between them, but it will be a running change in inventory, so you really won't know if you are getting the new ones. I guess they want to use up existing inventory first.

So I just installed the seals I bought online. They do not air flush in the lowers but I know they are seated as far as they can go. I’ll just see how it goes. Hopefully everything works out. I’ll just get new ones later on in the year.

Posted: Mar 8, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
johnovey wrote:

So I just installed the seals I bought online. They do not air flush in the lowers but I know they are seated as far as they can go. I’ll just see how it goes. Hopefully everything works out. I’ll just get new ones later on in the year.

I finally found the new version of the Pike seals. I wasn't expecting much of a difference in performance, but was very impressed with the difference in small bump compliance. Way less effort to get the fork moving. Very impressed, felt like my frt tire was low on air. If you have the seals side by side, the new ones are taller than the old ones.

Posted: Mar 8, 2020 at 14:15 Quote
johnovey wrote:
johnovey wrote:

I finally found the new version of the Pike seals. I wasn't expecting much of a difference in performance, but was very impressed with the difference in small bump compliance. Way less effort to get the fork moving. Very impressed, felt like my frt tire was low on air. If you have the seals side by side, the new ones are taller than the old ones.

Can you send me the link to the new seals please??

Posted: Mar 8, 2020 at 17:37 Quote
I did not order them online. Picked up at my local bike shop.
All rocksox products have a production date marked on the package. My package were marked 2019 WK44.
So produced Oct/2019. Any dates after that will for sure be the new style. I don't know the production date for the start of the new seals.
Do you have a local shop? As above, the pt # is 11.4018.028.013, but the prod. date is important.

Posted: Mar 8, 2020 at 19:26 Quote
johnovey wrote:
I did not order them online. Picked up at my local bike shop.
All rocksox products have a production date marked on the package. My package were marked 2019 WK44.
So produced Oct/2019. Any dates after that will for sure be the new style. I don't know the production date for the start of the new seals.
Do you have a local shop? As above, the pt # is 11.4018.028.013, but the prod. date is important.
Could you post a picture of the box??

Posted: Mar 8, 2020 at 22:01 Quote
Seems like there is some confusion in this post. OP says in the title "green seals" which are aftermarket skf seals, and not the same as the oem seals johnovey is talking about.

Edit: to OPs original post, from what ive seen of the new gen pikes, im pretty confident that the seal outer diameter is the same as its been since 2008.

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 10:03 Quote
Sorry if I confused you.
I am talking about OEM rockshox seals. The Green SKF aftermarket seals are the same dimensions as the old style seals.
I verified that at the shop where I work. I tossed out the bag they came in.
I'll try pick up another set & take pics of old vs new.
Yes, the outer diameter is the same, the height is the only difference.

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 10:54 Quote
johnovey wrote:
Sorry if I confused you.
I am talking about OEM rockshox seals. The Green SKF aftermarket seals are the same dimensions as the old style seals.
I verified that at the shop where I work. I tossed out the bag they came in.
I'll try pick up another set & take pics of old vs new.
Yes, the outer diameter is the same, the height is the only difference.

Ok ya that’d be great thanks. So the new seals in your opinion are way better than the previous version from RS??

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 13:14 Quote
Only experience I have with the green SKFseals has been on my Marz 55 & 888. They do seam a bit slipperier than stock but the Marz have double lipped oil seals & dust seals so 3x the sealing area compared to a RS Pike/Lyrik.

I think the green material has a bit more lubricant built into the material. Feels like a softer material as well compared to the black SKF seals.

Also the green material is supposed to last longer. But Marz seals usually last multiple seasons & I don't have enough time on them to confirm they last any longer.

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 17:04 Quote
Ok, guess I'm too f'n old to figure out how to post pics on this forum!
If you go to my profile & look at my pictures, you can see the difference in the seals. The new ones are taller & have a thin line below the seal spring. The package shows the manufacturing date 2019 week 42, so for sure any after that date are the new ones.
Once again, these are the OEM seals (made by SKF). NOT the green SKF seals.
If any 10yr olds can figure how to post the pics, have at'er.

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 18:58 Quote
Thanks for the information

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 19:56 Quote
When I install those I'll smear the insides of the seals liberally with slickoleum.

They fit rather loosely into the lowers. So much so that if I grease the inside of the lowers or outside of the seals about half the time one pops up. Not a big deal, just push back down. But if you use rubbing alcohol instead it still installs easily and stays put.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006261
Mobile Version of Website