Asphalt pump track OR entire bike park?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Asphalt pump track OR entire bike park?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 7:23 Quote
I'm working with my local park district to put in a beginner friendly pump track where a strider bike park is currently located.... The park admin has experience with managing bike parks and knows the maintenance issues with a dirt pump track so he wants to do it out of asphalt... I did some research and looks like Velo Solutions is the only way to go for asphalt cause using a regular asphalt paving company (like in Boise) is no bueno. average cost for a Velo build is about $400k... So then, if the park admin is willing to drop close to half a mil on asphalt, the question isn't dirt vs asphalt pump track, but asphalt pump track vs entire bike park- with a dirt pump track, 2 jump lines and perimeter flow type trail...

Guess the question for the group is what would you all prefer? Or maybe better yet, what would be best for a fairly 'new to biking' bike community. We're in a suburb of Sacramento so the mtb community isnt huge but I'm hoping this bike park will help it grow.

The area is fairly flat but has potential. There is some money available to build as long as there is community support behind the project.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 17:12 Quote
If I were going to a bike park I'd much rather ride dirt jump lines and a pump track than just an asphalt pump track.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 4:30 Quote
I’ve ridden some asphalt pump tracks that I understand we’re non-Velosolutions, although still part of big expensive projects. They were good, but at both of them (in different parts of the country) there were things that were somewhat wrong. With asphalt, you can’t fix it, tweak it, etc.

I would suggest you consider wood launches and dirt landings. Like these at Bijou Bike Park Lake Tahoe. There are also companies who do concrete launches with an exact radius shape.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006406
Mobile Version of Website